Vegas to Grand Canyon question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peedab21

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Vegas this summer, planning on renting a bike for a couple of days. Here's my question. Is Vegas to the grand canyon and back to much of a ride for one day? Or best to split into a 2 day trip? Also I'll be 2 up. Any help appreciated.

It's a haul, especially to the South Rim. About 280 miles, most of which is pretty boring. If you have never been, I would definitely take 2 days so you can enjoy the ride, and the Grand Canyon. I would go to the north rim. Less crowded, cooler, and much nicer ride getting there. You can go through Colorado City (Polygamists) or through Zion N.P. (Slow but beautiful). Going to the south rim you cross Hoover Dam which is cool if you've never seen it, but can be HOT and have really, really, bad traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a haul, especially to the South Rim. Great ride though. If you have never been, I would definitely take 2 days so you can enjoy the ride, and the Grand Canyon. I would go to the north rim. Less crowded, cooler, and much nicer ride getting there.

Looking at the map it looks like a long way round to the N. rim, am i correct or is there better route than i'm seeing. thanks

It's a haul, especially to the South Rim. Great ride though. If you have never been, I would definitely take 2 days so you can enjoy the ride, and the Grand Canyon. I would go to the north rim. Less crowded, cooler, and much nicer ride getting there.

Looking at the map it looks like a long way round to the N. rim, am i correct or is there better route than i'm seeing. thanks
About 270 miles according to my quick calculations. So 10 miles shorter than to the south, but a MUCH nicer ride. Trust me.

HERE is a thread on a North Rim ride a bunch of us took last August. And HERE is a thread on Zion a week later.

Grand Canyon Lodge is a great place to stay on the North Rim. Believe me, you will appreciate the lack of crowds compared to the south rim.

For other rides if you have time check out Mt. Charleston/Lee Canyon and Red Rock Conservation area. Lake Mead and Valley of Fire are nice too depending on when you come out here. If it's not too hot for you check em all out.

If I have time and you are interested I can play tour guide for a while too.

For other rides if you have time check out Mt. Charleston/Lee Canyon and Red Rock Conservation area. Lake Mead and Valley of Fire are nice too depending on when you come out here. If it's not too hot for you check em all out. If I have time and you are interested I can play tour guide for a while too.
Red Rock is around Sedona correct? We're flying in 5/30 and leaving 6/4 or 5. trying how to figure out how to do it all. ha ha. I'm positive the wife will want to lay by the pool and relax though.

Actually the Red Rock I am talking about is just outside of Vegas. There is a nice 13mi loop, motorcycles are only $2 to get in. Check out this link:

Red Rock

Actually the Red Rock I am talking about is just outside of Vegas. There is a nice 13mi loop, motorcycles are only $2 to get in. Check out this link:
Red Rock
looks cool we'll have to check it out. u southwest guys have already helped me out with a better ride to the GC, a place to stay and filled me in on some red rocks that otherwise wouldn't have known about. you guys are filling up my vacation fast. Thanks again