Vemar Jiano vs Nolan N103

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJrider1

Reaction score
Yes, I have read the reviews, just wondering if anyone owns the Vemar and your thoughts.

I tried it on and like it except for the plastic to metal latch.

I've always owned Nolan's and this seems on par.

Not looking for the bluetooth features. Thanks!

vemar-jiano-internal-visor.jpg

I'm curious why you are looking at this one versus the Nolan 103? So far, I'm thrilled with my 103 (except the noise, although not that bad), but there's always room for improvement.

I'm curious why you are looking at this one versus the Nolan 103? So far, I'm thrilled with my 103 (except the noise, although not that bad), but there's always room for improvement.

The dealer didn't have the 103 but had this helmet. Like I said, it seems to be the same quality

of the Nolan. The reviews are mixed as are the reviews for the nolan. All my flips have been Nolan, just looking at other options...

BTW, are you wearing the same size in the Nolan you always have? I'm reading they might run a little bigger with the 103.

Tks!

Never had the 102 as it just didn't fit right. The 103 fits me perfectly. No hotspots, no discomfort. My understanding is that the 103 was modified to an oval shape, while the 102 was more of a round shape. Don't know if that's true, but it fits my mutated oval head (I like to think of my head as wind tunnel tested) just fine. Of course, you can always get a certain size helmet and then buy different sized pads to truly customize your fit. Say a large helmet with large liner but medium cheek pads, etc.

I ended up with the 103 because I wanted a flip, and I wanted a comm system that was designed for the helmet. The 103 (or 102) gives me the option of the Nolan comm system made for the helmet, or the J&M comm system, also made for the helmet. The speakers and mic fit perfectly, and because they are made for the helmet, they integrate cleanly.

The dealer didn't have the 103 but had this helmet. Like I said, it seems to be the same quality

of the Nolan. The reviews are mixed as are the reviews for the nolan. All my flips have been Nolan, just looking at other options...

BTW, are you wearing the same size in the Nolan you always have? I'm reading they might run a little bigger with the 103.

Tks!
FJRRider;

I had a Nolan 102 and recently sold it to purchase a 103 (color change needed) in the Motorad Blue/White. The 103 actually fits a tad bit snugger than the 102 primarily due to the liner used in the new helmet. I wore a XXL in both helmets, so I'd order same size if you've had one before - just be prepared for a little snugger fit - not a bad thing as I don't notice any pressure points.

I have the bluetooth com gear and the 103 is pretty slick for that - input jacks are molded into the lower rim of the helmet doing away with extra wires, etc. Also, the internal sun shield works better than the VPS shield IMHO. Better vision, better clarity, and it remains bug free !!

Hope this helps.

Johnny;

As the risk of sounding like a salesman, the Nolan comm systems provide a lot of flexibility and you essentially build up the systems capabilities by adding components (and $$ !!). Below is a link to Nolan's factory website that details the options (see hot buttons at bottom of the web page).

https://ncom.nolan.it/en/n-com/index.html

Essentially, the N103 has an input and output jack moulded in it, and Bluetooth capabilities if added. If you wanted to use your own earbuds vs. those built-in, don't see why you couldn't connect your device to the audio system and then use the hardwire output (multimedia cable) to your headphones or earbuds - not sure what you'd really gain, cause if you're looking for outstanding sound quality nothing I know of will provide that >100db of noise going on outside the helmet so the built-in stereo speakers work fine for listening to music, phone, etc.

My 2 cents worth. Enjoy.

Johnny;
As the risk of sounding like a salesman, the Nolan comm systems provide a lot of flexibility and you essentially build up the systems capabilities by adding components (and $$ !!). Below is a link to Nolan's factory website that details the options (see hot buttons at bottom of the web page).

https://ncom.nolan.it/en/n-com/index.html

Essentially, the N103 has an input and output jack moulded in it, and Bluetooth capabilities if added. If you wanted to use your own earbuds vs. those built-in, don't see why you couldn't connect your device to the audio system and then use the hardwire output (multimedia cable) to your headphones or earbuds - not sure what you'd really gain, cause if you're looking for outstanding sound quality nothing I know of will provide that >100db of noise going on outside the helmet so the built-in stereo speakers work fine for listening to music, phone, etc.

My 2 cents worth. Enjoy.
Thanks for the link. I went to the website and the Nolan only supports Goldwing, BMW LT and Harley com systems.

I always use my custom molded earphones and I do get outstanding quality music. If you have never tried a pair I highly recommend them. Its like an earplug and speaker all in one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up with the 103. Bought it from CIMA (distributor for Nolan) at Americade for the show price of $300.

Tried to install my autocom speakers and mic... Was ready to chuck the helmet across the parking lot!

Autocom has always attended this show (they were located just outside of Albany). I figured I would buy the helmet and bring it to autocom to install the speakers... Turns out Autocom is out of business in the US.

I brought the helmet back to the CIMA rep, they could not be more accommodating! They brought me into the trailer then dissected the helmet to try to fit the speakers. They worked on it for a good hour! Unfortunately we could not get a proper fit. They suggested using a dremel to open the recess for the speakers. When I arrived home, I used my soldering iron and have a perfect fit. I am now very happy with the 103.

If you are going to use the autocom setup (Pro 7) be ready for some surgery...

Has anyone noticed the soft material in a Nolan Shield? I've gone through 2 because mear bugs seem to scratch the clear shield. I use Plexus and a microfiber cloth. Still get major scratches. Have HJC without that issue. Wish there was someone else providing replacement shields.