Vent for Vstream

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
Looking at the Cal Sci site I noticed that their w/shields have a vent near the bottom. I'm thinking of trying this

on my Vstream. Has anyone done this,and if so,what's the best way to cut?

Thanks.

The CalSci is really engineered to make use of the openings at the bottom of the screen. They really don't provide airflow onto the rider. Has more to do with minimizing turbulence behind the screen. As I recall, their website offers a good explanation of the purpose of those openings, though it's a very extensive (and informative) site and you might have to look for it pretty carefully.

Plastic screens are pretty easy to cut, if you do it. I'd use a jigsaw or Dremel to rough out the shape (marked on the screen with magic marker and/or masking tape), and then finish with a Dremel and sanding wheel to fine-tune. Don't forget, "measure twice, cut once." :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not looking for airflow to the rider,I'm looking to minimize turbulence.

I've tried spacers to angle the screen but they haven't made much difference. I may have to bite the bullet

and get the Rifle!

Thanks.

I think the original reason that Cal sci put the hole there was to reduce turbulence and back pressure on the inferior Gen I FJR's. Because you have the Superior Gen II FJR, this airflow management has already been built into the bike. :yahoo:

Okay, kidding aside, they did actually add airflow on the gen II so it makes it impossible to make direct windshield comparisons between old and new FJR's. I've never tried a Cal sci shield, so can't comment on what effect it has. My stock shield was horrible and I've been much happier with the Vstream for winter use and a Cee Bailey +2 high with flip shield for summer use. Neither is perfect, but I don't think the perfect shield exists.