Vented Summer Riding Pants? Options?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I threw my Fieldsheer Four Season pants in the garbage. No rain fly in the crotch was a major problem. Leg zipper broke during the first rally I wore them in.
Wow, really? Ive had mine for 3 1/2 years, have never had any issues with them. Never soaked through the liner pants (even on the Distillery ride last year at EOM) and I've worn them in all the weather that we get in northeast Ohio
I'm honestly glad they're working for you. And for the record, there was someone else on here that used to sing their praises (tho' he said he had to use separate rain pants). I think that was HaulinAshe, though I'm not real sure about that.

They were just all kinds of fail for me, though. Maybe I got the ones made on Monday. ;)
Without the thermal(waterproof liner) they are just mesh, so in the summer I do use frogtogs rain pants when riding in the rain.

I wear Tourmaster mesh pants. Ventures I think. They come with two liners. One waterproof and one for warmth. I wear them year-round. I have warn them with shorts underneath and jeans underneath. Mostly I wear them with a pair of lounging pants. Sorta like pajamas.

I love them and will buy another set...If these ever wear out.
+1 These are versatile pants. The mesh is great in the summer. Helps get some air flow to the "boys". Liners with a pair of thermals keeps me warm in the winter months. Good armor in them as well. I have had these for 3+ years and still like new.

If you're going au naturale under those vented riding pants, I'd second the notion of Motorport air mesh kevlar. Comes as both an overpant and a jeans-style. Taking a spill without something between you and the nylon as it melts against the pavement you are skidding across... You'll have a few different air mesh kevlar options here. Not cheap, but cheaper than skin grafts. https://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/Home
gunny!

I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, this version. I only have one set of riding pants, and these have provided comfort through a wide range of weather conditions. I wear them as pants, not overpants, but you can buy them in a size that will work which ever way you prefer. For cold and / wet weather, I have never gotten wet with the liner in and the panel zipped on. As the weather warms, you can remove the rain liner, then removing the panel lets air circulate pretty well. I'm on my second set in 5 years. The first set was field tested and cut off me after our dual sport adventure in Virgina.

I have read reviews where other riders have had issues with the side zippers. The only issue I've had is that sometimes the internal storm flap gets snagged in the zip if you don't lay the two halves together before you zip them.

If I were in a location that saw higher average temps, then I would lean more towards an all mesh set of pants.

Well in case anyone is interested I've done a few dayrides with these mesh pants and I'm happy with them. They are very well vented, well made, comfortable and for under $100.00 delivered I'm not sure you can beat them for the price. Today I just did a short 110mile afternoon ride in mid-80 temps and it wasn't too bad. I'm about 5'-10" 190lbs and they fit my build with the regular "Large" size. They have adjustable sides depending on what size beer gut your sporting. Feels good to be properly geared up all the time now, even in warm/hot weather.

I have terrific armored riding pants for the cooler riding weather. But in the hot/humid summers of the S.E. I want to get some mesh/armored riding pants with really good ventillaion that I could just wear shorts under. I don't want overpants and I don't intend on wearing jeans under them. These would be warm/hot weather summer riding pants only that I'm looking for 80-95 degree outside temps.

Anybody have any they can post a link to that they've worn and have been happy with?

I found these and I'm interested in them AGV Solare Vented Pants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JYC8t7DbA&feature=player_embedded

I bought the AGV Solare Jacket (Hi Vis Yellow) last year and just bought the Solare pants a week ago. They are really nice. The air flow through them is great. It's almost like riding with a pair of shorts on. They are well made. They come a bit long. And be sure to get the size right. I have a 35 in waist and that put me into the XL. Butr they fit nice. I haven't worn other makes and models but for the price of the AGV's I am very satisfied.

Rev It Tornado are what I just bought. Had been running Olympia and the Rev It is a big step up IMHO.

The Jacket is also the best in moving air I have had in a mesh jacket. It can get chilly in the mid 60's.

They are not over pants and I have tried boxers and bicycle shorts under them and they rock.

The liner for the pants make them waterproof and warm.

Love the protection and I put SAS Tec armor in the back of the jacket and in the hips of the pants, the rest of the armor is CE2.

Cant say enough about the comfort and protection.

Why are most mesh pants black? Don't make sense to me.
LOL...I'm not sure. Silver would hold less heat and also be more visible. Some of the vent pants do offer two or three color choices. Sometimes you can pick a light colored pair. But your right most seem to be black :huh:

Rev It Tornado are what I just bought. Had been running Olympia and the Rev It is a big step up IMHO.
Interesting. I'll have to look into those. Being an Olympia gear user I already have a reference to compare to.

I'm curious which particular model(s) of Olympia pants & jackets you were using and what particular areas the Rev It gear stacks up better. I'm using the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and Airglide 3 pants. I'm considering upgrading the jacket half to an Airglide 3 as the two part liner system (rain liner separate from warmth liner) seems more adaptable, and I'd also like to switch to HiViz on the top.

No kidding. If you are going to make the (significant) compromise in safety and weather integrity of going to a mesh material, you surely don't want them to be black. But ask anyone who has owned the silver colored gear and you'll hear horror stories of how hard they are to keep looking good. I really like the pewter color that is available from Olympia, (maybe some others) as they don't look so crappy so fast as the light silver and aren't as heat absorbing as black is.

No kidding. If you are going to make the (significant) compromise in safety and weather integrity of going to a mesh material....
Fred...this would be an example of a "significant" comprise in riding safety!!! :blink: Armored mesh pants in 90 degree heat is not. :lol:

And this Daytona Beach, FL rated ensemble also doubles as rain gear!!! Who'd a thunk it?!

barefoot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I'll have to look into those. Being an Olympia gear user I already have a reference to compare to.

I'm curious which particular model(s) of Olympia pants & jackets you were using and what particular areas the Rev It gear stacks up better. I'm using the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and Airglide 3 pants. I'm considering upgrading the jacket half to an Airglide 3 as the two part liner system (rain liner separate from warmth liner) seems more adaptable, and I'd also like to switch to HiViz on the top.

No kidding. If you are going to make the (significant) compromise in safety and weather integrity of going to a mesh material, you surely don't want them to be black. But ask anyone who has owned the silver colored gear and you'll hear horror stories of how hard they are to keep looking good. I really like the pewter color that is available from Olympia, (maybe some others) as they don't look so crappy so fast as the light silver and aren't as heat absorbing as black is.
I have Air 2 stuff I think? Have to look it is packed.

First and foremost I feel the Rev It Tornado gear is a little stronger in its mesh composition and is a much tighter weave but still flows air as well or better. I like the "Engineered Skin" they use in the impact areas which is ceramic embedded. It has knox armor and it stays in place, is smaller in profile, and fits me better than the Olympia gear does. I was also able to add the Sas Tec armor back pad in the jacket and hip pads in the pants, which is the D30 type material that goes hard on impact yet is very pliable and comfortable to wear.

In all fairness my Olympia stuff was 5 years old or so so was long in the tooth at least for me. However it served me well and I loved it.

The knock on Rev It is the pant liner is all that and a bag of chips with salsa too! It is warm and water proof and made from some "space age material" that is light and strong and breaths and all that stuff. BUT they do not make one for the jacket? Not sure why or what they are were thinking? It is no worry for me as I have and always useed rain gear rather then liners for rain. But for warmth there is nothing like having those liners from the Olympia Gear, unless it is the pant liner that Rev It makes. It rocks but you must not need it for the Rev It jacket? I have had to wear a long sleeve under it on a few occasions in the high 50's low 60's especially on the shady sides of Valleys I enjoy here in PA.

All in all I have to say I like the Rev-It much better, and I do feel it is a step up in protection from the Olympia stuff.

Black in summer is just nuts unless it is pure Kevlar, as black in that does not react the same as any other material on Earth to sun. I was proved this by MotoPort Gloves, that are black but they do not absorb sunlight as any other thing black. And I have filled mine with water in the summer and put them on for cooling.

Moto Port Gloves

Not affiliated with any one of these company's but I do like the Rev It over the Olympia a lot.

I have always worn Silver in Summer and Black in Winter.

Thanks very much for all of that. I've heard good things about Rev It from other folks in the past too. I appreciate your candid assessment and will keep that in mind next time. Let's face it... none of this stuff is very inexpensive. :huh: