Vertically Challenged Solution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicycle52

Reaction score
Boot sole modification

I am 5' 3 1/2" inches tall, 61 years old male. (I've shrunk 1 1/2" inches since my youth.)

I have ridden on lowered seats before but never done the "elevation" on the boots. (See picture below.)

My current motorcycle boots were reaching the end of their normal life span so I had new soles put on with a "shim" above the replacement sole for a total of 3/4" added to the height. It brings me from tip toes/balls of the feet to nearing flat foot.

I was reluctant to try the mod because I thought that making the boot taller from sole to top of toe would wreak havoc with shift lever placement. The experiment cost me $60 at a local cobbler.

Yesterday was my maiden voyage. I adjusted the shift lever up to just above the top "hash mark" on the side cover. Shifting felt perfectly normal and the reach to the ground was something I've wanted for my last 40 year of riding.

This will be my 10th season riding FJR's. (100K) The previous 12 years I rode Kawasaki 1000 cc Concours.(3 bikes) These bikes have always been very tall for me. I didn't want to alter the bikes geometry with different dog bones on the suspension because it would effect ground clearance and the side stand and center stand would require modification.

IMG_1495_zps1ce96be5.jpg
IMG_1497_zps16237934.jpg

I should have been doing this for the past 40 years!!!

Size does matter. Three quarters of an inch goes a long way.