Very cool blind-spot mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I discovered these very cool, rectangular blind-spot mirrors and mounted them to the FJR (photo). Because of their shape they give a very clear picture (profile, really) of what's in your blind spot, and are much easier to view than the tiny oval mirrors. I've come to rely on them quite a bit commuting in tight traffic when there's so much going on.

349712781_4c3db2fd5b.jpg

Trouble is, the metal on my left-side mirror failed and dropped the mirror onto the freeway a few weeks ago. I've called the place where I bought it originally, and searched the Net, but can't find this anywhere.

Does anyone know who carries these so I can replace it? It's called a "POPS" mirror, and is made by Takatsu Mfg. Co. Ltd. I don't know whose part no. it is, but my original packaging says Part No. K16-3048.

Jb

Sorry, I don't have any info on replacements. But just in case you entertain switching brands, the Multivex mirrors that stick on over top of the stock glass function superbly.

Multivex Motorcycle Mirrors

I highly recommend them. I have purchased an extra set of stock mirrors and am going to see if I can get Multivex to cut some glass to exactly replace the stock glass. You really have to try them in order to appreciate just how well they work.

I don't think I'd want the entire mirror surface to be convex and distorted. The auto-parts stores sell small stick-on mirrors that you can put in a relatively unused part of the mirror and get undistorted overall views with a small blind spot mirror.

- Mark

I have multivex on my Ford Truck and didnt know there were bike versions.... the 4-wheeler mirrors are absolutely the best quality glass, no imperfections... had em on since 2000 following their installation directions ( 2-sided stickey tape and some mirror prep) and havent had a hint of loosening yet... Plus the fact that inboard half of mirror is flat ( normal view) and then graduates outboard to convex makes visibility vastly improved...

I will definitely look at the multivex for the FJR... best farkle yet I think... Jeff, did U install on your FJR and if so ,what P/N did U use?? the one listed on the site, is it good for the 06/07 too?? or just the 05 and earlier?

Mosa

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't have any info on replacements. But just in case you entertain switching brands, the Multivex mirrors that stick on over top of the stock glass function superbly.Multivex Motorcycle Mirrors

I highly recommend them. I have purchased an extra set of stock mirrors and am going to see if I can get Multivex to cut some glass to exactly replace the stock glass. You really have to try them in order to appreciate just how well they work.
I tried the multivex mirrors on my 05 and REALLY did not like them. Took them off after one ride and send 'em back for a refund (less re-stocking fee).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'd want the entire mirror surface to be convex and distorted. The auto-parts stores sell small stick-on mirrors that you can put in a relatively unused part of the mirror and get undistorted overall views with a small blind spot mirror.
- Mark
The shape and visuals of the Multivex are easily misunderstood. Kinda like how AE clutches work. :)

There is no noticeable distortion IMHO.

Just for everyone's info. I recently inquired about Multivex making some custom glass to fit in place of the stock glass, as opposed to sticking on it. They said this cannot be done. So I have a spare set of Yami mirrors and will be hacking them boyz open soon, just to prove it one way or the other.

- Mark
The shape and visuals of the Multivex are easily misunderstood. Kinda like how AE clutches work. :)

There is no noticeable distortion IMHO.

Just for everyone's info. I recently inquired about Multivex making some custom glass to fit in place of the stock glass, as opposed to sticking on it. They said this cannot be done. So I have a spare set of Yami mirrors and will be hacking them boyz open soon, just to prove it one way or the other.
Distorted was not the word I was looking for. Clear image or not, any convex type mirror is going to sacrifice detail for coverage. Personally, I want to look at the mirror and be able to tell whether that white thing back there is just a white car or a 2006 Ford Crown Vic with a light bar. I want a large "flat view" in the far field. All I want in the near-field is something to track the blind spot and I don't want to give up the whole mirror just for that.

- Mark

Multivex not for everyone. Me see them on other person's bike.

No likey fun house mirror on bike.

I want a large "flat view" in the far field. All I want in the near-field is something to track the blind spot and I don't want to give up the whole mirror just for that.
+100

Not yet, but for $40 a pair, I might give 'em a try - but I think they'd work better on the bottom of the mirror instead of the top.
I was thinking the same thing. The stock mirror is somewhat flatter on top, so a good fit might depend on just what the mirror size is. Not much info on the web site about that. And their "installation guide" definitely doesn't give much detail.

You first!

Not yet, but for $40 a pair, I might give 'em a try - but I think they'd work better on the bottom of the mirror instead of the top.
I was thinking the same thing. The stock mirror is somewhat flatter on top, so a good fit might depend on just what the mirror size is. Not much info on the web site about that. And their "installation guide" definitely doesn't give much detail.

You first!
The medium ones are 6.5 inches wide. The small ones are 5.75 inches and only $13.95 each here.

https://www.autobarn.net/auxwidmir.html

:rolleyes:

Those do look pretty cool, but still wouldn't be a substitute for a head check before changing lanes..... or would they??????
I say that depends on how fast things are changing ahead of you. When things happen fast and I have to make a quick decision to live with or die from, what's registered in my brain from the last mirror scans is the information base for the decision.

There have been more than a handful of situations where the split-second required to make a head check would put me too much out of touch with what's going on ahead. I use convex mirrors much in the same way as a radar detector. It's another tool that provides more information about what's going on. They are certainly not a substitute for opportunity or stand-alone certainty.

Those do look pretty cool, but still wouldn't be a substitute for a head check before changing lanes..... or would they??????
I say that depends on how fast things are changing ahead of you. When things happen fast and I have to make a quick decision to live with or die from, what's registered in my brain from the last mirror scans is the information base for the decision.

There have been more than a handful of situations where the split-second required to make a head check would put me too much out of touch with what's going on ahead. I use convex mirrors much in the same way as a radar detector. It's another tool that provides more information about what's going on. They are certainly not a substitute for opportunity or stand-alone certainty.
Actually, he likes these cause he can see my blinky bright lights all the better!

jim