Very cool blind-spot mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet, but for $40 a pair, I might give 'em a try - but I think they'd work better on the bottom of the mirror instead of the top.
I'm very interested in these mirrors and will look for a review.

I agree about mounting on the bottom. I like to look at my regular mirror, drop my sight to the blind-spot mirror, and sweep my head with a quick check--about 1 second's elapsed time.

But I agree with Jeff: In tight, fast moving traffic, particularly in a weaving section of a freeway moving from slow to very fast with a lot going on, you place a lot of reliance on your mirrors because you can't afford to take your eyes off the cages flying around in front of you. I always try to validate at the beginning of my ride that the blind-spot mirrors are correctly angled and functioning correctly, so when things get ugly I know they are giving me good information.

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the small mirrors from Autobarn today. If mounted on the top they are angled too far upward (good for checking sky police). On the bottom to far downward. If you wanted to add a spacer or figure out some kind of wedge they would work. They went on the truck instead. I am going to try these next: https://www.maxiviewmirrors.com/

Instead of looking at my elbows, I invested heavily (1,50 €) for these...

bikepics-575265-800.jpg

Got the small mirrors from Autobarn today. If mounted on the top they are angled too far upward (good for checking sky police). On the bottom to far downward. If you wanted to add a spacer or figure out some kind of wedge they would work. They went on the truck instead. I am going to try these next: https://www.maxiviewmirrors.com/

Too bad I missed this review. It would have saved me the trouble of sendiing them back and losing the shipping charges in both directions. I looked at this thread but for some reason did not see this very useful information about these mirrors.

Those do look pretty cool, but still wouldn't be a substitute for a head check before changing lanes..... or would they??????
I say that depends on how fast things are changing ahead of you. When things happen fast and I have to make a quick decision to live with or die from, what's registered in my brain from the last mirror scans is the information base for the decision.

There have been more than a handful of situations where the split-second required to make a head check would put me too much out of touch with what's going on ahead. I use convex mirrors much in the same way as a radar detector. It's another tool that provides more information about what's going on. They are certainly not a substitute for opportunity or stand-alone certainty.
2247302-plus1.gif
[SIZE=14pt]Werd fukkin werd![/SIZE]

And the reason I put FZ-1 mirrors on my bike as soon as I got it.

But, by all means, don't get out of your personal comfort zone just because you got some cool new mirrors.

JB, if you find some more of those things, do share the source.