Very Northern Calif Scenic Highway ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarWestFastEddie

Reaction score
I am going to take a two day ride from Eureka! east on HWY 299 to HWY 96, north to Yreka,spend the night, then south on HWY 3 to Weaverville and west again on HWY 299 back to Eureka, this is some of the very best riding available, clean highways, panoramic vistas, mountains and case scrapping curves, anyone else interested in joining, please hollar, planning on 2nd weekend in July.

Hey FARWEST,

I hope you find some others to go with you.

I'll be riding with friends from SF to Eureka next Monday via Red Bluff and the fantastic Hwy 36. Then Tues we'll be doing the 299/96 to I-5 stretch, and then on to K-Falls via Ashland and Hwy 66. I'm really looking forward to it, as it's my first time on 96.

Have a great ride.

Kirk

Thinkin'. Thinkin'.
This is my contemplative state when I am thinkin....thinkin!

IMG_0473001a.jpg

Very Northern Calif loop ride Date change, will be July 26/27, due to piss poor planning on my part and weddings that are must attend, sorry for the flip/flop, I should be a politician!

Kirk, be advised HWY 36 can be very rough, Hwy 299 east from Redding up the Buckhorn and its switchbacks is just tons of fun, and if you stay over in Eureka!, we can maybe hoist a cold one!

FarWestFastEddie

Hey FarWest,

I live just up the road from you in Fortuna, Ca. and ride those roads all the time. Sounds like a fun ride, but i probably wouldn't be able to make it a two day trip that weekend. I could go some of the way and then break off to head back home.

FarWest - I am doing almost that exact ride between July 19th and 23rd with my father. I would say let's meet up if you were going to be doing it a weekend earlier. If you go earlier for some reason, PM me.

My plan is to ride down from Seattle to the Oregon Coast, stop at Florence, OR to ride the sand dunes on ATVs, do some camping, maybe go on a day long rafting trip on the Kalamath River or Rogue River, then ride through the Trinity Mtns starting at the coast at Eureka and do the Trinity Triangle between Eureka, Yrek, Weaverville, etc. I did this ride once before in 2005 and had a BLAST. I've only been riding a few years, but I have to believe this is some of the best motorcycle country around.

My original intent was to ride down to Laguna Seca for the US MotoGP; however, it's a little expensive attending the race, and I figured I'd have more fun spending an extra day or two riding back and forth over the mountains in Northern CA.

When I did the ride last time, I was on a Honda Shadow 1100. I'm looking forward to doing on my FJR this time.

If you're interested, I have a video of the ride posted on my Youtube account:

. It's about 11 minutes long and the CA portion of the trip doesn't start until about 4 mins in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man!! I'd go but the same reason I can't make Golden this year, is holding me up for your ride, wife has finals!!

I can bogie anytime after Aug 4th.... you make it then... I'm in..... FJRM