VFR800

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Joe

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a VFR. The 6th Generation or possibly wait to see if Honda makes a change for the V5 thats been rumored for so long. Any one care to comment? I'm 6'2" 220lbs. How will my size fit the VFR. How is it on long saddle days or the twisties, around town etc etc.

Thanks in advance, MJ

Joe,

I own a 2000 VFR that is pretty much stock. Don't have risers, custom seat etc....I am 6', 220 and find the riding position to be fairly comfortable but if you are going to be doing long days you will probably want to upgrade the saddle and maybe put on some risers. I generally wouldn't do more than 300 miles in a day on it loaded down with Ortlieb waterproof sidebags and a Nelsen Rigg tail trunk mounted on the back seat. I love the bike. Plenty of smooth power. Nowadays, when I transition from the FJR to the VFR (like I did yesterday), I feel like I am going from a much heavier, less nimble bike to a sportbike that I can throw around alot easier. You will be in a much more tucked position on the VFR, feet further back on the pegs. I never even considered getting rid of it when I got the FJR.....as a matter of fact I was kind of scared that the FJR wouldn't live up the great ride that the VFR is. Of course those fears are long gone.

If I remember correctly, TWN (Twowheelnut) had a VFR in his past. You may want to ask the man for his opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a 5th gen. vfr for the past six years. It is an amazing bike and after buying a fjr still like it a lot and ride both bikes alternating. I am 6'3" and weigh 225lbs. Have heli bar risers, throttlemeister and a corbin long seat. If you are shopping for one I would suggest staying with the 5th gen. bikes as they are gear driven and are bulletproof. I have had two of them. The 6th gen are chain driven and some V tec which I do not like. Extra valves come into play at a certain rpm.

Dumbest thing I ever did was sell my VFR. But wait until September, after Honda announces its new models...worst thing that happens is they DO come out with the nucular powered one, and then you get to decide between getting that or picking up a used one as the bottom falls out of that market because all the VfR owners have to have the new deal.

Mine had heli risers and I put a Corbin seat on it, could ride it to the track, do the track day, then ride home, not be too worn out. 400 miles in a day was fine.

I used Oxford Sport soft bags, the best soft bags I've yet found. Yep, sold them with the bike...double stupid.

If my tailbone ever heals enough for me to ride again, I'll get another VFR. "No, see, Honey, the Goldwing is for US, I bought it for you, and the FJR is ALSO for us, I bought it so you could have a more motorcycley experience riding pillion, and the VFR, well, a man's gotta be a man." How's that sound?

Dumbest thing I ever did was sell my VFR. But wait until September, after Honda announces its new models...worst thing that happens is they DO come out with the nucular powered one, and then you get to decide between getting that or picking up a used one as the bottom falls out of that market because all the VfR owners have to have the new deal.
Mine had heli risers and I put a Corbin seat on it, could ride it to the track, do the track day, then ride home, not be too worn out. 400 miles in a day was fine.

I used Oxford Sport soft bags, the best soft bags I've yet found. Yep, sold them with the bike...double stupid.

If my tailbone ever heals enough for me to ride again, I'll get another VFR. "No, see, Honey, the Goldwing is for US, I bought it for you, and the FJR is ALSO for us, I bought it so you could have a more motorcycley experience riding pillion, and the VFR, well, a man's gotta be a man." How's that sound?
Wow, a Gl1800, FJR1300 and a VFR! You are my hero!

My brother has owned two older VFRs and considers them the finest bikes he ever owned. He did own the pre-VTEC models. The issue with VTEC is that at 6800-7000 rpm it goes from two valves per cylinder to four valves which increases power, etc. It also means the bike surges. That can be a problem if you are riding along in a hard corner when the VTEC kicks in. My brother calls VTEC the biggest tragedy that Honda has ever done to ruin a great bike. His opinion.

Cruise https://www.sport-touring.net/

& https://vfrworld.com/

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/

etc to get more info from owners, etc.

Good luck!

The wife currently owns a yellow Y2K model. Great motorcycle. With the expection of the LD riding that I do, I could live full time with it. The seat, though, sucks. 1100 miles over three days had my ass crying "Foul!" Makes me wonder how my buddy managed to log over 42,000 miles on that torture device. YMMV.

Paul Peloquin

'03 FJR

Monmouth/Lakeview OR

My brother has owned two older VFRs and considers them the finest bikes he ever owned. He did own the pre-VTEC models. The issue with VTEC is that at 6800-7000 rpm it goes from two valves per cylinder to four valves which increases power, etc. It also means the bike surges. That can be a problem if you are riding along in a hard corner when the VTEC kicks in. My brother calls VTEC the biggest tragedy that Honda has ever done to ruin a great bike. His opinion.

I have owned a V-TEC VFR for four years now. The motorcycle is flawless. You will need to replace the seat.

I have heard the gripes about the V-TEC and the "flat spot", and I find them so insignificant that I don't consider them as "issues".

Like the ST, the bike is a little hot to ride in the summer. It is too heavy and underpowered to be considered a sport bike.

I bought the 2002 model. Cycle World considered it the "Bike of the Year". It has made the ten best list ten

out of thirteen years.

I plan to buy a FJR or ST in the Spring. It is going to be difficult to part with the VFR.

I have heard the rumors about the V-5 VFR for years. I will believe it when I see it. Honda needs to find a way to "lighten up" their bikes. My VFR has been called a "porker" by motorcyclist magazine.

Joe

"I have owned a V-TEC VFR for four years now. The motorcycle is flawless. You will need to replace the seat.

I have heard the gripes about the V-TEC and the "flat spot", and I find them so insignificant that I don't consider them as "issues."

To each his own. That is the beauty of motorcycles.

But my favorite thing about the VFR is passing them on my R-1. The VFR is a great bike but gets whipped by a liter bike! :yahoo:

The beauty of having an 07 Silverado is I make money towing the R1 back to the shop. The VFR just keeps on going kinda like the energizer turtle.

The beauty of having an 07 Silverado is I make money towing the R1 back to the shop. The VFR just keeps on going kinda like the energizer turtle.

Sounds like Rednecks don't take good care of their R-1's! So I am sure glad that you're there to help out.

The VFR is a great bike, Reg Pridmore uses them at his CLASS school. What better endorsement than a world champion using them. But the VTEC is better suited for cars, the bike is out gunned by even modern 600's let alone liter bikes and Honda has pushed the VFR into a pseudo sport touring bike.

For more on the VFR, go check out the VFR forums.

"The beauty of having an 07 Silverado is I make money towing the R1 back to the shop. The VFR just keeps on going kinda like the energizer turtle."

Maybe you should go join the Chevy Truck Forum! And the VFR forum since you are so in love with the VFR.

I thought this was all about FJR and Yamaha??

BTW, Nice avitar Dr. Evil!

Last edited:
I've had an '00 for 4 years. Its a great ST and can hang with anything in the twisties with the right pilot. The seat is a bit uncomfortable for me after about 400 miles and the riding position is more agressive than the FJR but not full on SS crouch.

I rode a Vtec VFR in the alps and ended up trying to avoid the switch point because it did bother me to have it kick in mid corner. If there was really an upside, it might be worth it but I don't think the Vtec was any better below the switch point than my 5th gen.

All that said, I'm probably doing to sell it soon and get something a bit more SS. I'm quite infatuated with the 675. :wubsmiley: FOr me, the VFR is just too close the FJR in terms of its role in my garage.

Wow, a Gl1800, FJR1300 and a VFR! You are my hero!

When my FJR arrived, its stablemates included a '99 VFR and '01 GL1800. The GL was the first to get the boot, followed by the VFR. No tears were shed over the GL's departure, but damn, I do so miss my little Red Head. In fact, the new owner passed me just today on my way into town. Damn near cried. Without a doubt, the best bike I ever owned. Bone stock and never a hint of trouble. I've been eyeballin' the local 'for sale' ads and have seen a few, but none in the condition I would be interested in. Between the induction howl, cam gear whine and melodious exhaust note, a finer song was never sung. Word.

"I have owned a V-TEC VFR for four years now. The motorcycle is flawless. You will need to replace the seat.I have heard the gripes about the V-TEC and the "flat spot", and I find them so insignificant that I don't consider them as "issues."

But my favorite thing about the VFR is passing them on my R-1. The VFR is a great bike but gets whipped by a liter bike! :yahoo:

Duh................

That R-1 has me beat by about 50 horses and is probably 100 pounds lighter.

We are not even talking about the same class bikes.

I am sure that the R-6 could probably beat the VFR.

It's a different animal.

Joe

MJ,

I have a 2003 VFR and 2004 FJR in the garage. Both are fantastic bikes and I love them both despite the obvious overlap in capability. The V is more sportbike but very capable as long as the trips are a bit shorter. I drove 600 miles round trip to Pennyslvania in July on the bike with nothing more than a Sargent seat. Tomorrow I leave for 1500 miles from DC to Birmingham and obviously the FJR is the tool of choice for that distance.

What can I say? I love VFRs and have owned 6. 2 1990s, 1 1991, 1 1999, a VFR400 and the current ride. The engine is beautiful and the combo of ride and handling is every bit as good as the FJR but biased a bit more to sport. It really is a seminal motorcycle.

Having owned a 3rd, 5th, and 6th gen I can say that the current bike is the best for how I ride despite the widespread VTEC grousing. The truth is that I hear much more of it from non-owners than anyone else. I think VTEC is one of those crazy Honda-isms that they like to do from time to time, but it's a non issue for even a moderately skilled rider. I think the current bike has by far the best chassis of them all and the hard bags make it easy to take trips, commute, etc.

"I have owned a V-TEC VFR for four years now. The motorcycle is flawless. You will need to replace the seat.

I have heard the gripes about the V-TEC and the "flat spot", and I find them so insignificant that I don't consider them as "issues."

Duh................

That R-1 has me beat by about 50 horses and is probably 100 pounds lighter.

We are not even talking about the same class bikes.

I am sure that the R-6 could probably beat the VFR.

It's a different animal.

Joe

Duh from the FNG.

Not even the same species.

Great bike but like bringing a knife to a gun fight!

I like the VFR, like riding the VFR, but much prefer a sport bike like the R-1.

VTEC is a major problem, from the standpoint of my brother, a long term multiple VFR owner.

And like I said, I love ripping the VFR in the twisties.

So go over to the VFR forum for more information and discussion.

But for the FJR forum, this thread has run its course.