VFR800

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. E.
Why has this thread run it's course?

As for Mighty Joe's question, the thread still offers answers to his questions.

As for the R-1 vs. VFR, that answer is well known.

If Joe Armato wants to discuss the R-1 further, check out other threads.

I've made my opinion well known and for me, this thread has run it's course.

Thanks for the replys guys!

The rumor mill however is up and running HOT this time of year. That a new and improved VFR1000 with an upgraded smoother V-tec is up next for 2007. Wouldn't that be something? Well, it could happen.....Mammy Yammy listened to us, did they not? LOL

MJ

This thread has not run its course, it has just gotten boring.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of getting a VFR. The 6th Generation or possibly wait to see if Honda makes a change for the V5 thats been rumored for so long. Any one care to comment? I'm 6'2" 220lbs. How will my size fit the VFR. How is it on long saddle days or the twisties, around town etc etc.
Thanks in advance, MJ
From one Joe to another:

Ever notice how the negative comments about the VFR always spew forth

from those that do not own a VFR?

Don't misunderstand me, there are better bikes out there.

If you own a VFR, there will always be some squid that considers

himself special because his race replica is faster than a bike that is

not close to his class of performance.

It's kinda like..."bet I can beat your Cessna with my F-16". What does

that prove?

If you really want to get un-biased, informative answers concerning the

VFR, let me direct you to individuals that can answer your questions from

experience, not because their uncle used to own a VFR ten years ago.

Go to www.vfrdiscussion.com and communicate with Miguel, the "Hispanic

Slammer". The website is excellent and it is his creation. If I am remember,

he is about your size.

You can also check out Yahoo's V-TEC VFR Owners site. Robert Monroe from

Florida got so sick of his V-TEC VFR's reliability, after 90,000 miles on his 02,

he decided to buy another bike to occasionally give the VFR a rest.

Those two guys have forgot more about a VFR than most people will ever

know.

The VFR is a little fat and underpowered. It does not do anything great, but

it does everything good. The VFR is considered a good "streetbike" or entry

level Sport Tourer. If you want a tourer, buy a Gold Wing. If you want a

fast bike, buy a Gixxer or Ninja.

I came here to learn about the FJR, because I am considering buying one

in the spring. I am sure that I will learn a lot from most members of this group.

Joe :unsure:

If you really want to get un-biased, informative answers concerning theVFR, let me direct you to individuals that can answer your questions from

experience, not because their uncle used to own a VFR ten years ago.

Go to www.vfrdiscussion.com and communicate with Miguel, the "Hispanic

Slammer". The website is excellent and it is his creation. If I am remember,

he is about your size.

You can also check out Yahoo's V-TEC VFR Owners site. Robert Monroe from

Florida got so sick of his V-TEC VFR's reliability, after 90,000 miles on his 02,

he decided to buy another bike to occasionally give the VFR a rest.

Those two guys have forgot more about a VFR than most people will ever

know.

+1 on both those sites and everything Joe A said. Just like this forum is a wealth of knowledge for those with (or looking for) an FJR, those websites are excellent for the VFR. Quite a few guys over there ride FJR, Honda ST's and other similar bikes and are good for information also.

Axe:

Another good resource for VFR and Sport Tourers is

www.sport-touring.net

Neal Uhlen's "got it going on" over there.

Neal runs a good, informative, civil site.

But then again, you probably know that already.

Joe

Axe:
Another good resource for VFR and Sport Tourers is

www.sport-touring.net

Neal Uhlen's "got it going on" over there.

Neal runs a good, informative, civil site.

But then again, you probably know that already.

Joe
'Civil site'? You gotta be kiddin' me, right? Those bastards will rip your head off just for burping! That and he has the worst server on the planet...

['Civil site'? You gotta be kiddin' me, right? Those bastards will rip your head off just for burping! That and he has the worst server on the planet...
Never encountered any of those problems.

You call strangers bastards??

I am beginning to understand.

Thanks for your impression.

Joe (opinions vary)

How does the engine vibration compare for the VFR and FJR? I assume the V-4 is smoother than the inline 4.
What's the engine redline of the VFR?

Can't comment about the smoothness of the Inline 4. I have never

ridden an FJR. The V-4 in my VFR is very smooth. With the counter

balancers that they have in the FJR motor, it probably is a non-issue.

I think the redline of my 02 is 12,500.

How does the engine vibration compare for the VFR and FJR? I assume the V-4 is smoother than the inline 4.

What's the engine redline of the VFR?

Can't comment about the smoothness of the Inline 4. I have never

ridden an FJR. The V-4 in my VFR is very smooth. With the counter

balancers that they have in the FJR motor, it probably is a non-issue.

I think the redline of my 02 is 12,500.

Vibration is different between the V and the FJ. The VFR has a low rpm roughness like a twin that some call vibration and it won't tolerate lugging like the inline 4. The FJR has a higher frequency vibration and it happens at an annoying 4000-4300 rpm which happens to be at highway cruise speed. I had problems with sleeping throttle hand on the FJR initially but no such problems on the VFR. Fortunately the combo of a cramp buster (sometime called a throttle rocker) and the loosening of one of the 3 throttle return springs banished the problem on the FJ. I also added the heavy throttlemeister bar ends. So on both bikes I can do 500-700 mile days with no vibration related pain. At highway cruise the VFR is beautifully smooth and revving at 5500ish rpm still feels pretty relaxed.

I'm going to check out a '98 VFR with my brother in law who wants to buy a bike. It looks pretty clean. . .they seller says he's selling because he needs the money for school. (I remember selling my Vmax for that same reason :( . . .it sucked). But now I've got the FJR :yahoo:

Anyways, I'm just wondering if there is anything in particular to this model that I should definitely be looking out for. This will be my Brother-in-Laws first street bike if he gets it, so he's looking to me for guidance. :unsure: Everything I read makes this model seem pretty bullet-proof.

Just a few more icons cause I luv 'em so much. :D :assassin: :dribble: :lol: :ph34r:

I'm going to check out a '98 VFR with my brother in law who wants to buy a bike. It looks pretty clean. . .they seller says he's selling because he needs the money for school. (I remember selling my Vmax for that same reason :( . . .it sucked). But now I've got the FJR :yahoo:
Anyways, I'm just wondering if there is anything in particular to this model that I should definitely be looking out for. This will be my Brother-in-Laws first street bike if he gets it, so he's looking to me for guidance. :unsure: Everything I read makes this model seem pretty bullet-proof.

Just a few more icons cause I luv 'em so much. :D :assassin: :dribble: :lol: :ph34r:
I owned a '98 for 7 years, and had no troubles. The achille's heel of the VFR is the Regulator/Rectifier, which affected a small percentage of bikes somewhere between ~15k and 30k (especially the 94-97's, less so for the 98-01's, and now it appears to be gone completely). I sold mine at 27k never having had any issues, although I did add cooling air to it by way of attaching a pentium chip cooling fan to it and piping in air from the front. Other than that, it really was bulletproof for me. Normal maintenance kept me out of trouble. They're noted for vibrating a bit at about 7k, but since redline was at 11.5, there was plenty of room to get past that. I had no problems doing 500-700 mile days with a Sargent Worldsport seat. The linked brakes were a bit of a pain to bleed, but tire changes were simple.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response Kilroy. Were there any clues that indicated imminent regulator/rectifier failure, or does this problem tend to manifest itself overnight? The bike in question has about 28k miles on it. . .so maybe it's past the point where that problem would show up.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response Kilroy. Were there any clues that indicated imminent regulator/rectifier failure, or does this problem tend to manifest itself overnight? The bike in question has about 28k miles on it. . .so maybe it's past the point where that problem would show up.
One of the first things I and many other viffer owners did would be to install a voltmeter and monitor the voltage. Large swings in voltage might indicate a failing RR. Dimming lights, a dying engine, and the smell of burnt plastic would confirm it. I do know of folks who would carry a spare RR with them, and others who bought and installed the 'new and improved version' as a preventive measure, carrying the old one along as a keepsake. Another preventive measure was to change the battery every three years and keep all electrical connections clean and tight - a good idea regardless of what you ride.

It's hard to say whether the one you're looking at is a candidate for RR failure, but just as the heat didn't keep me from buying an FJR, I wouldn't let the risk of RR failure keep someone from buying a VFR, especially the '98 :)

good luck

I had a Reg/Rec let go on my 1990 VFR and it didn't really give any warning except for a slight whistling noise from the battery after shutting off the engine. I was told this was gas escaping from the battery due to overcharging but I never investigated fully. In the worst case you'll fry a battery and need a new R/R. I rode from Tempe, AZ to Vegas and back with a broken R/R push starting it at every gas stop. At one station in the middle of the desert, I had to push start in full view of a large group of Harleys. You can imagine the response :haha: