Vibration Issues Solved

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcfjr

Reaction score
I have solved ALL the vibration (buzzing, whatever the hell else you want to call it) issues with my '09 FJR. No, I didn't sell the bike and buy a Kawasaki. I saw NO improvement with tightening engine bolts. And I didn't buy any fancy grips with gel designed by NASA. So what did I do?

Well, before I answer that, I'll say that many of you already know the answer. However, when I was tryng to solve this, I never saw written what I am about to write. So here it is...:

I eliminated ALL the vibration in this engine by beating the living snot out of it at Deals Gap for two days. In that two days, I spent nearly 200 miles above 5,000 RPM and mostly above 6,000 and all the way up to red line on many occasions. Now, the engine is silky smooth all the way up to 9,000 RPM and I can no longer tell when I hit 4,000 without looking at the tach. Furthermore, on the way home Sunday I AVERAGED 50.2 MPG on the readout which is probably about 2% low as a result of the SpeedoHealer corrected speed (ODO now reads about 2% low while the speed is spot on...go figure). So my MPG is probably over 51 which is ridiculous because I don't drive slow.

So bottom line, I had simply not broken this engine in the way it really needed to be before the Deals Gap trip. Those of you that already knew this will say, "well DUH" but for the rest of you with vibration issues, give this a try before you decide to live with the vibration or sell the bike.

I loved my bike before, now I give it a blow job each night!

I should also point out that I went to synthetic oil before this trip and I noticed a little reduction in vibration just with that. However, clearly the engine needed to be spanked and spanked hard. I say drive it like you stole it!

I have solved ALL the vibration (buzzing, whatever the hell else you want to call it) issues with my '09 FJR. No, I didn't sell the bike and buy a Kawasaki. I saw NO improvement with tightening engine bolts. And I didn't buy any fancy grips with gel designed by NASA. So what did I do?

Well, before I answer that, I'll say that many of you already know the answer. However, when I was tryng to solve this, I never saw written what I am about to write. So here it is...:

I eliminated ALL the vibration in this engine by beating the living snot out of it at Deals Gap for two days. In that two days, I spent nearly 200 miles above 5,000 RPM and mostly above 6,000 and all the way up to red line on many occasions. Now, the engine is silky smooth all the way up to 9,000 RPM and I can no longer tell when I hit 4,000 without looking at the tach. Furthermore, on the way home Sunday I AVERAGED 50.2 MPG on the readout which is probably about 2% low as a result of the SpeedoHealer corrected speed (ODO now reads about 2% low while the speed is spot on...go figure). So my MPG is probably over 51 which is ridiculous because I don't drive slow.

So bottom line, I had simply not broken this engine in the way it really needed to be before the Deals Gap trip. Those of you that already knew this will say, "well DUH" but for the rest of you with vibration issues, give this a try before you decide to live with the vibration or sell the bike.

I should also point out that I went to synthetic oil before this trip and I noticed a little reduction in vibration just with that. However, clearly the engine needed to be spanked and spanked hard. I say drive it like you stole it!
Nothing better than a mechanical reason for returning to the Dragon!!! Time to start planning. :)

Mine still buzzes above 80 MPH and I don't baby it, but I can say that it is smoother than now with 25K than it used to be. I have grip puppies and never have an issue. It's funny that somedays my KTM Super Duke makes my right hand numb to the point I can't take it and other days I have no issues at all with it.

In the interest of science, how many miles did you have on the bike before you took that trip?

I started out from my house with 12,375 on the ODO and landed back home with 13,725. Approximately 1,100 to 1,150 miles was there and back. The remainder was at the dragon, route 28, and the skyway. We also layed down the law on some twisties going and coming but you get the idea.

She blinded me with science!

All I can say is that it's going to be a very noisy ride to work and back for the next couple of weeks! Anything to reduce this vibration!! Sorry neighbors.

Must be why I never had vibration. I beet the snot out of it since day one. :ph34r:

Don't be mentioning blow jobs. Bust will be given up the sheep. ;)

Dave

Mine always varies. Some days it's silk and others I'm all tingly afterwards. I have noticed it running smoother after a hard run a few times, still varies from day to day though.... I'll try again after I get my seat back :D

Mine still buzzes above 80 MPH and I don't baby it, ...

It's funny that somedays my KTM Super Duke makes my right hand numb to the point I can't take it and other days I have no issues at all with it.
I had a girlfriend that caused the same problem. Never got used to her periodic effects on my right hand. Couldn't handle her text messages at high speeds either.

Ride it hard, regardless of what carbon structure it's made of.