Vibration starting at 4500rpm and gets worse ('05 FJR1300)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it I always end up laying on the floor laughing at these threads...I think it's because no matter how many times it's asked every single time some wise guys suggests TBS.. It's a proven fact that isn't going to do shit in the higher RPM range.

But I still open 'em just for the entertainment value and laugh even harder when the same guys who've said TBS for 10 years hasn't changed there tune.

Shows how much the "new" old members know. They can't fukin read.

Put me in a nursing home 4 fuks sakes
Great diagnosis, fantastic recommendations to help the poster solve the problem! You are truly a treasure and bottomless pit of valuable information on FJRs. This is why I love this forum...you can't get such knowledgeable and professional insight anywhere else on the web or otherwise! Kudos sir.

Okay here's a video. It's sounding more to me like exhaust now that I listen closely. Not the "ticker" issue I've read about as I've now heard what that sounds like. Here's the vid:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/106496343@N02/18279472215

I guess you can't link from in here. It's https:// then www.flickr.com/ then photos/106496343@N02/18279472215
No joy from those links, bro. There's nothing much that can 'crackle' in the exhaust, except maybe a bit of decel popping caused by the PAIR system.

Other possibilities include cam chain rattling. Hard to tell without actually hearing it.

Bust, you're in no condition to roll around on the floor laughing. Stoppit.

I managed to get the link to work by cutting and pasting. I heard a single tink before the video cut off.

Thanks PJ4863, that cutting/pasting worked.

I hear a single 'click' at about the 6 second mark, but the other two rev samples sound ok to me.

Can't figure out what causes it, but if it's not the cam chain slapping around, I wouldn't fret too much.

You could try taking a closer listen using an engine stethoscope to help localize the noise

Sorry about the video quality - it doesn't really represent the sound very well. I like the chain idea as it does sound like metal on metal and sometimes it hits several time rather than once like in the video (hence the "crackle" comment). I was thinking exhaust because it also sounds kind of like a popping noise. I guess I'm hearing what I want to
fool.gif

I'll go get a second opinion on the sound from a shop and see what they say. Thanks again for all the feedback.

And I've never seen a forum where someone doesn't get insulting and start putting down other posters. A shame that people feel the need to do that. People come here for advice and/or to give it, not get in pissing contests about who is more right. If it's not constructive or useful, save it.

And I've never seen a forum where someone doesn't get insulting and start putting down other posters. A shame that people feel the need to do that. People come here for advice and/or to give it, not get in pissing contests about who is more right. If it's not constructive or useful, save it.
Ahhh .. You met Barry.

He is an equal opportunity joker, but beer and bacon tames him.

Don't sweat the small stuff :D

I'm with bluesdog and thinking cam chain.

You mentioned changing the plugs, did you torque them to specs? I knew a bike that had a loose plug that made an unusual racket.

Either way please reply with findings from the shop and good luck.