vista cruise and heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
I have BMW grips, a vista cruise and heated grips. I had to replace the heated grip elements becasue of something the previous owner did and install the G2 throttle tube. I put it back together and I cant seem to get it back together and work properly. Either the vista lock wont hold or the throttle tube doesnt want to return home. I had to open up the vista cruise diamer to fit the G2 throttle tube, otherwise its all the same. ALthough I cant remember how the wires for the heated elements were routed out. There seems to be a gap between the throttle lock and the controls when its screwed on to the housing (the plastic tab on the vista lock has been filed down like seen in many threads). Any advice? Details on wire routing? I currently have it back together but without the vista lock and it works fine.

Please note I think I have viewed and searched every topic I could find on the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have BMW grips, but I do have heated grips and a vista cruise. I routed the heat cable out between the inside edge of the grip and the vista cruise. You just have to make a loop that allows enough travel without stressing the cable. I can't help with the throtle tube issue, though.

I don't have BMW grips, but I do have heated grips and a vista cruise. I routed the heat cable out between the inside edge of the grip and the vista cruise. You just have to make a loop that allows enough travel without stressing the cable. I can't help with the throtle tube issue, though.
I have tried that but the wire seems to interfere with the tension disks for the vista cruise....I just dont want to have to cut my grip....but even then I am uncertain that the vista cruise wont be putting too much pressure against the grip.....I may just leave the vist cruise off....

I have BMW grips, Vista Cruise, and heated grip elements. The wire for my heated grips comes out from under the grip at about the 2 o'clock position (when viewing the grip from the end of the handlebar) and makes a big loop going to the first zip tie along the brake lines/throttle cables. The loop gives the wiring clearance over everything, including the vista cruise (the loop's slack is nearly gone at WOT). Inward from the wire is the plastic anti-friction disc and then the Vista Cruise. Since the BMW grips are shorter than stock, there's JUST enough of a gap between the grip, wire, and VC to prevent any sticking of the throttle (I've done the throttle spring unwind on mine as well). I can snap a photo later today when I get home (didn't ride today as its grocery/dog food day).

One tip you can try...take a small zip tie, poke 2 holes, close together, in the inner flange of the grip and then zip tie the heated grip wiring to the flange so that when the wire comes out from under the grip, it makes a nice 90 degree turn up through your zip tie and then loops over and across the VC and switches. The trick is to locate the zip tie so that the lock portion of it doesn't irritate your finger while using the grip. I used this method back when I had a Brakeaway throttle lock on with standard pro grips and it worked well in keeping the wire from creating added friction....haven't bothered to do this with the BMW grips since they're shorter.

EDIT: Found a couple of photos from when I had the BrakeAway installed. It's a beast of a throttle lock and takes up MUCH more room than the VC, but the photo shows how I had zip tied the wiring to the grip flange and looped it over. My current VC/BMW grip installation is almost identical with the exception of the zip tie.

Closed throttle

hg-barrier-08.jpg

WOT

hg-barrier-09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried that but the wire seems to interfere with the tension disks for the vista cruise....I just dont want to have to cut my grip....but even then I am uncertain that the vista cruise wont be putting too much pressure against the grip.....I may just leave the vist cruise off....
The only interference I had to deal with was the diameter of the hilt of the grip up against the VC. I had to trim the outside diameter to allow free movement. The wire doesn't impose any resistance. I also did the install from FJRTech removing the travel tab and drilling and tapping into the throttle cable housing.