Vista Cruise with OEM heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergeantnic

Reaction score
I don't want to know if you have a vista cruise without OEM heated grips.

I don't want to know if you have "heard" it's not possible.

Has anybody been successful at installing the vista cruise with the OEM factory heated Yamaha Grips?

I can't tell for sure from the links I have found on FJRTech if the example is with Factory Heated grips or aftermarket grips.

I just ordered one from Amazon and I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight as to how to install it with the heated grips.

I don't want to know if you have a vista cruise without OEM heated grips.
r-lee-ermey1.jpg

I don't want to know if you have "heard" it's not possible.
Ermey.jpg

JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION, MAGGOT!
R_Lee_Ermey.jpg

I just ordered one from Amazon and I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight as to how to install it with the heated grips.
It's all up to you to answer this thorny question once and for all. Some on the forum have felt a sense of incompleteness heretofore and are counting on you to finally answer this question definitively and without the jibber-jabber of alleged authority naysayers regardless of their long and authoritative skillz with farkles on the FJR. ;)

Inquiring minds want this answered once and for all! You 'da man!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope it can be done cause mine works just fine with the hot grips and I don't want to do it over again. :rolleyes:

I sure hope it can be done cause mine works just fine with the hot grips and I don't want to do it over again. :rolleyes:
Damn. And I used my full bag of search tricks to try and find any success stories vs. the fail stories. So, how does one highlight this particular post amongst the previous drivel for the next person that will invariably ask the same question and look to us like Alzheimers newbies?

So do you have the factory heated grips? If so, is there anything special I need to do?

It doesn't make a shit what grips you have.Just make sure you leave enough room between the grip and the housing for the vista cruise. It's really simple and all things are simple if approached with a simple mind. :dribble:

Okay fellers here is my experience with this install. I have the 09AE with factory heated grips and since I posted this question and never got the definitive answer I sort of felt my way through this, although I believe it was Warchilds post in FJR Tech?? that pretty much summed it up. I ordered the Vista Cruise - Universal for two cable throttle about 20 bucks?? Prolly the only one that seemed close. This is not the correct one but I made it work (yes it can be done).What I found

The inside diameter of the VC that i recieved is for 7/8 bars- doesn't work with the heated grips.
It was necessary to open up the inside diameter to about 1.3 inches which I did with grinding stones in a drill ( can use die grinder, dremmel etc.). This was tough to get circular and not remove too much material, Note I did not remove the foot from the VC as others have done.
Next it was necessary to modify the grip itself. It cannot be removed and moved outward because of the relationship of the cables to the housing. I removed about 1/8 to 3/16 from the outer diameter of the the hilt and the same from the thickness of the hilt using a razor knife and smoothed it out with some emery cloth, sandpaper, file etc. this was to make room for the VC.After a great deal of grinding, cutting, sanding, smoothing and a lot of trial and error the VC is on the bar.

After a lot of massaging and getting the VC where it actually worked I set the position where my thumb could comfortably work the VC, Starter, and Kill Switch etc. Then I used a self drilling/self tapping screw through the foot and a couple washers into the cable housing to fix the position.
What is a simple install for non heated grips is not so simple for the heated grips andI know all this drival would be a lot better with pics but I haven't mastered that yet---put it in a vise smack it with a hammer I'm ok, posting pics not so much.

This also may be simplified by ordering a different model# if one exists with the correct ID but I didn't see it at the time and once I started cutting I was past the point of no return but I'm not sorry it works great looks stock (almost). :yahoo:

Hope this helps.

What a nightmare is all I can say.

I got my vista cruise 7/8" model and as described above you have to modify it to even fit around the grip. I got it grinded down and cut my hilt completely off and smoothed it down but still can't get it to work correctly. Next up, ordering the 1" one that is slightly different and hoping I can get that modified to work.

Got a nice sized hole in my cable housing too where the set screw was trying to hold the vista cruise in place.

If you have heated grips (OEM style), I would say don't waste your time.

I got my vista cruise 7/8" model and as described above you have to modify it to even fit around the grip. I got it grinded down and cut my hilt completely off and smoothed it down but still can't get it to work correctly. Next up, ordering the 1" one that is slightly different and hoping I can get that modified to work.

Got a nice sized hole in my cable housing too where the set screw was trying to hold the vista cruise in place.

[SIZE=14pt]Drop and give me twenty!![/SIZE]

R_Lee_Ermey-1-The_Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre_The_Beginning.jpg

Certainly not for the faint of heart but I'm a stuborn old SOB and I was determined to make it work and I'm thrilled with the results. VC+Grip Puppies+Manic Salamanders= :yahoo:

Certainly not for the faint of heart but I'm a stuborn old SOB and I was determined to make it work and I'm thrilled with the results. VC+Grip Puppies+Manic Salamanders= :yahoo:
Well I just ordered the 1" universal style since I have hacked off the hilt on my grips I'm hoping I can make that one fit somehow.

Finally got my vista cruise installed.

2008 Yamaha FJR with OEM heated grips

Vista Cruise Universal for 1" bars

-Cut the hilt off the grips and sand area smooth

-Remove the front half of the brake caliper bracket that holds the caliper assembly to the handlebars.

-Move that assembly all the way to the left as far as it will go.

-Drill a new hole for the set pin of the mounting bracket to sit in at new location.

This movement results in only about 3/4 inch so not much change in the brake lever orientation.

At this point I had to grind down the handlebar bracket for the vista cruise just slightly so it would fit in the space.

-Mount brake caliper back to handlebar.

-Squeeze vista cruise handlebar mount in. Sand as needed.

-Assemble everything and be done. I had to use the little extension for the arm that goes from the mounting bracket to the vista cruise thumb lock thingamajig. Tighten down the set screws and she's ready to go.

Did a test run and everything works great. On to the pics.

vista1.jpg

vista2.jpg

vista3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my vista cruise installed.
2008 Yamaha FJR with OEM heated grips

Vista Cruise Universal for 1" bars

-Cut the hilt off the grips and sand area smooth

-Remove the front half of the brake caliper bracket that holds the caliper assembly to the handlebars.

-Move that assembly all the way to the left as far as it will go.

-Drill a new hole for the set pin of the mounting bracket to sit in at new location.

This movement results in only about 3/4 inch so not much change in the brake lever orientation.

At this point I had to grind down the handlebar bracket for the vista cruise just slightly so it would fit in the space.

-Mount brake caliper back to handlebar.

-Squeeze vista cruise handlebar mount in. Sand as needed.

-Assemble everything and be done. I had to use the little extension for the arm that goes from the mounting bracket to the vista cruise thumb lock thingamajig. Tighten down the set screws and she's ready to go.

Did a test run and everything works great. On to the pics.

vista1.jpg

vista2.jpg

vista3.jpg

Now all you need to do is whittle down your ironbutt posse to a group that gets more than 75 miles to the tank. Only kidding. If I don't go four corners next month I may go along as a chaperone.

LOL!! No way I'm stopping every 100 miles. Just not going to happen. I know I haven't done any long distance riding but that's just dumb!!

StanO sent me his route so I think I'm just going to say alright, I'm hitting the road at 3am or whatever from place xx and stopping here, here, and here. If you can make it that far between stops fine, if not, you are on your own....

Damn sport bike riders!!