Vista Cruise won't hold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
Installed the Vista Cruise per the floating method as recommended on this site. I think this will be a great way to manage it. I struggled with how much to cut off the grips and probably did too much, but fortunately the grip puppies cover the carnage and make it look ok.

IMG_9697.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

I wonder if I've done something slightly wrong, though, because it won't hold it at the desired speed. It just slightly drops off over a few seconds. If I tighten it any tighter the throttle won't release back to the closed position. If I loosen it, it doesn't seem to rub at all and is smooth, but again, doesn't hold over time. Any ideas? Should I have put the black ring on the other side? I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

Advice appreciated.

I have found that if you scuff up with a knife or rasp the underside of the ring it eliminates the slow slippage.

Measure OD of throttle tube and get a piece of dowel same size with sandpaper wrapped on it. Sand ID of VistaCruise to get it a close match to the throttle tube OD, clean and reinstall. I think all that is in the instructions?

Google "FJRtech vista cruise" problem solved. Mine works great.
Thanks. I read this article before I ever ordered it. Unfortunately this is installing it the "non-floating" way. The "floating" method posted by SkooterG suggests getting the larger Honda version and avoids drilling a hole.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8209&view=findpost&p=100014

I like this option better and was interested in the ability to pass and have it return to speed.

That's the one I ordered and installed, so the FJRTech article didn't really apply. And for instructions, there was nothing about the dowel in the instructions that came with mine, but I like the idea if it keeps causing trouble.

I scuffed it up pretty good today and I think it's going to hold well enough, but will do the dowel if it starts slipping too much.

Thanks!

Hmmmm.......

Not sure why you are having that problem. I have done the same install method on several FJRs with no problems like this. Twice now I have 'worn' out a vista-cruise after mega miles but that usually means it won't stay in 'engaged' position because the 'edge' of the plastic thumb lever where it engages gets rounded after lots of use. Your issue really just sounds like an adjustment issue. Sometimes on the VC, turning the brass adjustment screw even 1/4 turn can make a big difference for getting it in the right zone.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for responding, Scooter. I really like your method for installing the VC. After the last scuff-up, I think it is holding good enough as is. Went through a lot of adjustment up and down to get it right and if I go any tighter it sometimes the throttle doesn't always release without a little help. I have it where it always releases now, and 80% of the time it holds the throttle when on. The other 20% it fades off slowly, so I still get to stretch my hand plenty before it drops much speed. I don't have any previous experience with FJR's but it seems the bare white plastic of the throttle where it grabs is pretty smooth, which seems like the issue. I could scuff it a little and I think it might make a big difference but I'm not ready for that as it is probably fine as is.

I rode a while tonight and it felt very usable. I am happy enough and like the functionality.

Paul

Here's the way I mounted mine.

throttlelock1.jpg

Here's my post after I remounted them with my heated grips. CLICKY I just bent up a coat hanger using a couple pairs of needle nose... and srewed it on. No drilling, no altering the bike. Concerning the sticking problem, I had that same issue with mine. When I tightened it enough to hod the throttle steady,, it was preventing the throttle from returning to idle when I let go of it. However, since I never let go of the throttle, I just left it that way, and in a couple days, it "wore in" and now it works just fine.

Where to buy one? CLICKY HERE

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a follow-up on the Vista Cruise - it worked perfectly on our last trip. I used it a lot and it always stuck just right. I wonder if some of the problem at first was user error with me getting the right pressure on the top part with my finger before locking it.

I have been surprised how safe the thing is. If anyone is nervous about buying it because it might get stuck, I have accidentally left it on and didn't notice it. You just have to turn the thottle a touch harder when it is locked.