Vstream Windscreen Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
I installed my Vstream about a week ago on my 2007 FJR. My first impression - WhOA! :yahoo: It's way better than my stock windshield but just about anything short of swiss cheese would be. Now, after riding with the Vstream for just over a week I can honestly say that it is better than stock and I'm happy with it.

However, I was wondering what should my experience be? I'm getting a fair amount of buffeting on my helmet when the wind screen is full up and I'm doing 65 MPH. Not uncomfortable but disappointingly noticeable. Are the Vstreams designed to put the rider in a complete, quiet bubble of still air? If so, that's not what I'm getting. Am I hoping for a Gold Wing type experience? Am I asking for something not attainable to a 6' 2" man riding with the Vstream full up?

At full up, the windscreen is even with my mouth and I'm riding with my seat in the lower position. Now don't get me wrong, the ride is much quieter and if I squat down a bit to where my eyes are even with the top of the screen then I get zero air. Blessed quiet and still.

So, what are your experiences and do I just need a taller wind screen?

Thanks.

do I just need a taller wind screen?
Just curious, have you considered Rifle’s w/shield and/or talked with someone--whose stature is close to yours--that has experience with Rifle’s product?

Last edited by a moderator:
d if I squat down a bit to where my eyes are even with the top of the screen then I get zero air. Blessed quiet and still.

Thanks.
thats the key that i noticed with shields. you need to eyes to be at the crest or lower in the shield.

Bob

I installed my Vstream about a week ago on my 2007 FJR. My first impression - WhOA! :yahoo: It's way better than my stock windshield but just about anything short of swiss cheese would be. Now, after riding with the Vstream for just over a week I can honestly say that it is better than stock and I'm happy with it.
However, I was wondering what should my experience be? I'm getting a fair amount of buffeting on my helmet when the wind screen is full up and I'm doing 65 MPH. Not uncomfortable but disappointingly noticeable. Are the Vstreams designed to put the rider in a complete, quiet bubble of still air? If so, that's not what I'm getting. Am I hoping for a Gold Wing type experience? Am I asking for something not attainable to a 6' 2" man riding with the Vstream full up?

At full up, the windscreen is even with my mouth and I'm riding with my seat in the lower position. Now don't get me wrong, the ride is much quieter and if I squat down a bit to where my eyes are even with the top of the screen then I get zero air. Blessed quiet and still.

Thanks.
I'm your height, and suggest riding with the V-Stream @ 1/2 to 3/4 up, most of the time. Wind should brush the top of your helmet, causing minimal noise (using most helmets), and virtually eliminate turbulance.

When the temp is over 80, I usually leave the shield full down. It creates more noise, but with clean, cooling air.

The ONLY time I ride with the V-Stream full-up is in hard rain (in light rain, I put the shield back down, which allows the wind to wisk water drops off the visor).

I am 6'2 as well.no buffeting from the V, but some helmet wind noise. could be the helmet you are using. Crack you face shield open and I bet it goes away. (wear eye protection when doing this)

I just did my first ride with my V Stream. We did about 700 miles last weekend. It was a two up ride, I am 6'-02" also. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. Not completely silent, but not loud either. The quietest that I have ever experienced on the bike. One thing I noticed, was the noise level did not change from 55 -120 mph.

I have had three different screens and by far prefer the V Stream.

AuburnFJR what other screens have you used?Roy

I am 6'5 and new from the first 10 miles that I would have to buy a new windshield. I also purchased the V-stream. While better than stock it is still not as good as I would like it. I also think it is part of my problem with my back getting sore on relatively short rides of around 150 miles. I have noticed I try and duck the wind all the time to keep the noise down and my posture on the bike is really lacking. Now having been trying the Master Yoda Ridiing Postion I get turbulance and alot of wind noise. My back does better though. I would like to see the size difference between a V-stream and a Rifle +5-+4. Wonder if there is much difference? Like you I am still yet to find my perfect windshield and it's not really something cheap you can just keep throwing on there.

True. I just can't throw money at another shield either. I actually called National Cycle before ordering the Vstream and asked the handy-dandy customer service man if the shield was good for a man my height. He said yes and told me it should give me clean air. It does give me clean air just not quiet and clean air. The buffeting I feel isn't beating me to death but it is there and I do notice it. I guess I was hoping for better performance. :huh:

Thanks.
I run the Cee Bailey 2+2 dark smoke and find it does exactly what I want it to do. Full up is pretty quiet but adds a touch of back pressure and it gets warm behind it. I normally run it up until the buffeting starts to go away and leave it at that so I get more quiet and still flow enough air to stay cool. Get your windshield up too high and the vents on your helmet don't vent, so it is a trade off.

I always wear earplugs. The Cee Bailey is mucho smoother than the stocker. The 2+2 also looks like it belongs on the bike versus some of the extra tall shields I have seen that look like, well a tall windshield. I'm not trying to turn mine into a Goldwing. Need that sporty look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'2" and put the Vstream on two weekends ago and then ran right at 700 miles with a passenger. Both Interstate and back country roads. I really liked the new wind screen. I used it between half and 3/4 up most of the time and it is WAY quieter. I just keep it going up while at speed and then suddenly I hit that spot where all the roaring just goes away and suddenly you hear strange things like engine and road noise. Nice.

The only thing I don't like about it is how it looks. It looks big. However, I am going with function over form.

Thanks for the questions and anwers. I just did a 4500 mile trip around the central US with the stock windscreen and I'm determined to replace it. This was just the info I needed. I'm only 5'9" so the V sounds just perfect for me. Sometimes you just need a little less noise.

My question is: Is the V-Stream any taller than the stocker on a Gen 2? I'm short in the trunk and hate looking thru the top lip of the screen.
Yes. It is about four inches taller and also wider at the top. There are photos of the Vstream somewhere in this forum. I also have some I can post later.

Latest posts