VStrom / FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a V-strom 1000 next to my FJR in the garage. The V-strom has more comfy sit-up-and stretch-your-legs ergos and is way more flickable and fun and easy to ride quickly in slower, tighter twisties. While I do go exploring a bit off the beaten path with it, it's still a 500 lb streetbike and not one I want to be on if the road turns real gnarly. I think it's off-road prowess is kind of overated... as such, mine has 100% street tires and I use it more for sporty backroad day rides. With luggage it can be a fine sport-tour bike as well, though the FJR has more protection for cold weather, is better at speeds over 70mph, has better brakes, nicely integrated bags and is a more refined ride that suits me for big mileage days and trips. On a trip from upstate NY to TN I'd rather be on the FJR, but when I get to Deal's Gap I'd rather be on the V-strom. In cold or rain the FJR is great, on a hot day the V-strom is a cooler ride. As different as they seem, both bikes can be proficient over a fairly wide range. If I had to choose one, I'd choose based on the type of riding I tend to do the majority of the time, and the climate/temperature range I find myself riding in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'd LOVE to have an FJR, and thought about it long and hard. Then reality bit me :)

The facts are that I ride mostly in the tight narrow mountain roads of Japan and smaller and nimble is what I need. An FJR would be a waste. Mind you I've been doing these roads on my K100RS without incident, but the reason for a new bike is mainly to get rid of a top heavy big bike and get something more suited to the roads I ride.

Then the dilemma was whether to get a 650 or 1000. In the end, I figure neither is really an off road bike and I likely won't take either off road, so I might as well have one with more power and it only weighs a bit more than the 650 anyway.

So I'm getting my NEW DL1000 Jan 10-12 and really looking forward to it.

I believe getting the big twin smoother is simply a matter of ensuring intake synch and that includes the secondaries. Like most bikes, they are never perfect but can be made closer to perfection with some tweaking.

I'm looking forward to a big twin. Although 4 cylinder engines are nice in some ways, there's just something about a big twin, especially a V Twin that's special. Ducati riders know what I mean.

There have been some guys in Japan who've really enjoyed their FJRs (James are you out there?), but they rode a lot of toll roads and toured more than I like to. Or maybe they're richer than me, because it costs a fortune to go any distance here and it's just not any fun. I explore mountain roads where nobody ever goes, and some of them could be called goat paths. There are so many close to me that I still find new ones every time I ride. So I think the VStrom will be pretty much perfect for me.

And, If I want to go on some tours, the VStrom is certainly capable of doing that. My wife doesn't like riding much. Well, she doesn't like going fast or leaning over, so I try and keep her off the back. However, she does want to do some short tours and we'll likely do that, but on the Beemer. I'm keeping the Beemer, at least for awhile until I decide if it's worth it. It won't fetch much used and won't cost much to keep on minimum insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded in a 05 V-Strom DL1000 for my new 07 FJR1300A. As is mentioned in this forum, both bikes can be very similar or very different, depending on use. It is also important to compare against either a DL650 or a DL1000 and what year of purchase. My initial recommendation would be to have both a FJR and a new generation DL650. I traded in a ST1100A for the DL1000 because I wanted a lighter more flexible machine. I did my research, test rode, and even took several rides with friends on V-Stroms. After a year or two of ownership it proved to be not such a good decision.

A person who is seriously considering purchasing a V-Strom should thoroughly research the excellent V-Strom owner websites of the detailed issues of problems and usual necessary owner improvements (on both new 08 and used V-Strom models) before walking into the Suzuki dealership.

In a nutshell, the DL650 has a strong history of a "much" smoother engine and very capable road manners. The DL1000 in all previous years and even some 08 models usually requires some type of aftermarket fuel injection mapping improvements. There have been recalls to replace the DL1000 ECU for just this problem and the FJR Gen ll ECU bulletin for altitude abruptness doen not even register on the radar screen in comparison to the problems with the V-Strom ECU. Just check Ebay and you will see that one of the most common listings is for PCIII USB fuel injection aftermarket control. In my hurry to buy a new bike, I probably rationalized a little too much that some careful tuning, throttle adjustment, and possible aftermarket improvement would be ok.

Both the DL650 and DL1000 usually require both a seat and immediate windshield replacement. The FJR stock windshield is not great but it is significantly better than the V-Strom stock setup. Again check the V-Strom websites for tons of complaints and improvement recommendations.

On a positive note, I found the V-Strom to be kinder to sore knees with a more upright riding posture and longer leg relief to the footpegs.

I have been riding sport tourers since the 70's and can say that trying to setup the V-strom up for a does it all bike was the most costly bike to date. After purchase of seat, windshield, PCIII USB, side racks, top rack case holder, side cases, top case, handlebar risers, throttle control, engine guards, radiator guards, fork brace, etc. etc., it was quite an experience. I finally just removed the accessories and traded the bike in. The money received from the sale of these used accessories was almost double of what it required to setup the FJR. Again, my best recommendation is to get a DL650, use it as intended, and have a FJR.

Nice write ups here. I had an 02 Vstrom 1000 before the FJR. Sold it for: 1) shaft drive 2) more wind and weather protection 3) effortless long distance cruising 4) great looks of the FJR. I tried a couple of wind screen combinations but just couldn't contain the buffeting. The vstrom was also horrible in crosswinds and the front wheel felt flighty.

Butt, I am now looking at the dl 650 as an addition to the fjr and a drz 400s. Would like a bike I can ride around southern Oregon and catch a dirt road mountain pass or just to get out and explore a bit more but have room and power for a passenger. I think the wee would compliment the bikes I own very well.

Oh, nice pic markjenn of your 650, you didn't help me qwell the urge.

Re: V-strom 1k vs. fjr:

I too own both, '03 Strom and '06 fjr/ae. . .both do certain things. Having moved from N.W. Ohio to N.W. Michigan was going to sell the strom but because some roads turn to gravel then 2-track think I should keep the strom. Some have said the strom is more nimble. . . I don't think so. I'm no canyon carver but have been to the Dragon (on a Valkyrie) and would love to have had the fjr there than a strom. My biggest beef with the strom. . . 46" wide with bags and the whole ergonomics or aerodynamics of the bike make it seem to float in wind. Especially noticed that in semi's wind-wake, the strom doesn't sit still. The fjr slices wind like a knife. . . excellent foul weather protection also (with Cee Bailey +4+2+2 windscreen). Don't know which to advise is best, just review your riding needs and what you want the bike to do. I do like both motors, the 6 speed and torque of the strom is awesome and the fjr doesn't really to have mind blowing power but is smooth as silk. Hope this can help you, sorry I just noticed this thread a week into Jan. Good luck in Ohio and check out the riding around Cambridge to Marietta.