VStrom hand grips installed ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagger

Reaction score
I got some of these deals from FJR Goodies for my 2006 FJR a month or so ago.

So parts were missing, but I eventually got what I needed and added some stuff from what I had 'in stock'.

I'm not really much of a wrench and .... therefore ... it took me about an hour to dismantle and reassemble the parts. The throttle side needs to be ground out a bit to relieve it from the rubber cover that would be otherwise rubbed. No big deal. Couple minutes with a Dremel and it was fine. The bar end 'clips' need a bit adjusting as well so they 'clip' on between the bar end weights and the throttle moving part of the grip. I also had to trim back the Grip puppies I have, too.

I did not use an Loctite on the stuff. Just 2 washers above the SS screws that fit thru the hand guards and into the new throttle and clutch bolts. I torqued them as I always do. Tight and then just a 'nudge'.

Today in CT-land was unusual for December. I was sweating as I hooked up these deals. Changed clothes to my riding gear and took off. Ambient was 50* (F) ..... about an 1.5 hours later down by the shore, it was 44* (F). And, with just my 25 year old Harley lightly insulated leather gloves on .... my fingers were getting a bit cold in the wind. And, it was windy. I switched to some heavier leather gloves (also insulated and wind proof), but the damage was done. By the time I got home 45 minutes later, my fingers were pretty cold. Not uncomfortable, but cold for sure.

Here's my take on the VStrom hand guards on the FJR:

-pretty EZ to install (once one has all the parts) even for a novice without instructions, but look at the photogs on this site and do a search to make your life EZr

-fairly inexpensive to purchase (like $65 or so...)

-not too obtrusive in black

-EZ to modify

-EZ to remove for summer (save your OEM bolts/nuts with a label, or just take the guards off and leave the supplied stuff on the bike .... your choice

-will work to ~45* (F) for an hour ... in my case ... with good gloves

-no substitute for electric heated gloves or heated grips, but a good deal for short rides

-with heated Honda grips, these guards should be 'the shit'!

Would I do this mod again? Yeah. No big deal and will be helpful for a quick ride in the cooler temps for a while.

BAGGER

I have the hand guards on my '05. I took them off this past summer and I didn't notice any difference in cooling effect with them off. I'll probably leave them on year round. They help keep your gloves dry in the rain and they protect your hands from flying debris.

I have the hand guards on my '05. I took them off this past summer and I didn't notice any difference in cooling effect with them off. I'll probably leave them on year round. They help keep your gloves dry in the rain and they protect your hands from flying debris.
Will they fit an '06?

Will they fit an '06?

I got some of these deals from FJR Goodies for my 2006 FJR a month or so ago.

BAGGER

Ditto to that. I heard some pretty loud noise off mine in the spring that turned out to be rock big enough for me to go "oh shit" when I saw it bounce off the handguard. I thought I was being lazy, but then realized I was just being proactive leaving them on. :p