VStrom hand guards - any negatives?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the older handguards (one attach point). I think these are a great addition to the bike.

Negatives are:

- Bug catchers adding to cleanup duties

- Won't buy the Pazzo levers because they would be hidden by the guards. (This may be a pro, since it saves me some cash).

I am able to use mine with my dash. Have minor issues of them contacting the dash if the bars are turned sharply. They do look at home on my '05, though.

Saved my knuckles on more than 1 occasion from debris. If I remember correctly, I was shocked at the price for the two mount bolts...$40?

DSC02717.jpg

Did not need to cut anything on my guards, made my own bolts (welded studs to existing pivot bolts). I am using the bar ends that came with the Honda heated grips, but those did need to be modified.

(This is my "work" garage.)

Here ya go. I just used a Dremel to cut and then clean up the ends a bit.
Thanks for going to the trouble to take a photo. I did not think of cutting the end off completely, duh. I take it this does not affect the integrity of the guards too much? No wobbling in the wind. :)

Oh, and pardon the late reply, did not have time to get back to the forum earlier :(

Thanks for going to the trouble to take a photo. I did not think of cutting the end off completely, duh. I take it this does not affect the integrity of the guards too much? No wobbling in the wind. :)
Oh, and pardon the late reply, did not have time to get back to the forum earlier :(
No integrity problems with the trimmed guards. The first model of the VStrom handguards didn't attach the bars anyway. I need to tighten the screws where the guards attach to the levers every so often, but I assume I'd have to anyway.

I'm about to order VStrom hand guards (the kit) from FJRGoodies. Before I spend the bucks and the time, I just wanted to find out of there are any negatives to this mod. Turbulence? Noise? Heat?
This is your chance at unlimited whining and bitching..... go for it. (But stay on topic, dammit!) :rolleyes:
Spend the bucks and the time. Best damn "Bang For The Buck" farkle for the FJR.

- Colin

I'm about to order VStrom hand guards (the kit) from FJRGoodies. Before I spend the bucks and the time, I just wanted to find out of there are any negatives to this mod. Turbulence? Noise? Heat?
This is your chance at unlimited whining and bitching..... go for it. (But stay on topic, dammit!) :rolleyes:

- Colin
Waste of money getting the Vstrom guards. Get these

85c18cd1.jpg

489b0697.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

- Colin

85c18cd1.jpg

489b0697.jpg
The LEAST you could do is use a marker color that doesn't clash with Galaxy Blue.

Gzzz........

Obviously your better half wasn't part of this ..... :blink: She would have rounded the corners...

- Colin

85c18cd1.jpg

489b0697.jpg
I love this design! A great solution for the interference problem others have seen with aftermarket shields.

How much $ for a set including s&h? Do they come in a box or are they the box?

- Colin

(snip)
Looks like somebody's been working too hard. :rolleyes:

I believe I've already posted my enthusiasm for this farkle. But I thought I would add a little more. It was mentioned in an earlier posting about someone using their guards as switch mounts. That may very likely have been my bike. Here's a pic of the insides of each guard.

Handguard-Left.jpg

Left side has two toggle switches. One for my driving lights, the other is power for the radar detector. Allows me to turn the detector off in City traffic when I dont want it on to bother me.

Handguard-Right.jpg

Right side has the smartwire control for the radar detector. The button acts as a mute and volume adjust.

On both sides I can easily control the various accesories while riding and I never have to let go of the handlebars. Very cool.

- Colin

Funny, I just installed the guards two days ago, and yesterday I added my garage door opener to the inside of the guard. Index finger forward to the spot just above the clutch lever adjuster and BINGO! Garage door up or down.

I'm thinking about upgrading my guards to the cardboard that is used to box broccoli. It has was on it to make it water proof. I just need to make sure my sharpie will work on it.

edit: before doing this mod (either the cardboard version, or the plastic one), on the GEN II's there is now a dead air space on the grips with the mirrors in the normal position.

Last edited by a moderator: