VStrom hand guards & rear view

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveFJR

Reaction score
I decided to install the VStrom hand guards on my '06. The mirrors blocked some air but not like a guard. They fit well, keep the wind off my fingers, look decent, and with the heated grips should really help in winter. But I do have a problem with them. They block part of the mirrors which is my view of the spot directly behind me. Now I have to move my head out to the side to see around the guard. So, has anyone else had this & worked a solution or is it a non-issue for most?

Gen 1 FZ1 Mirrors are what you want.

Part #'s

5LV-26290-00-00

5LV-26280-00-00

Your lucky it's not Friday you'd get flamed for not doing a search.

I didn't like my 07 mirrors even before I put on the gaurds! This is a big improvement.

I had the same problem. I bought 2 round spot mirrors at Wal Mart, and stuck them on the top/outer part of the mirrors......and now no problem.

I had the same problem. I bought 2 round spot mirrors at Wal Mart, and stuck them on the top/outer part of the mirrors......and now no problem.
Hey jnor, Do you have the hand guards? If so, where'd you order them from?
Desert Valley Power Sports

https://www.fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm

Also check out this site for the parts to install.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30

I believe that Warchild set this site up.
I guess that's where everybody get's them from...I was just wondering if there is anyplace closer, since he's also in Ohio

I guess that's where everybody get's them from...I was just wondering if there is anyplace closer, since he's also in Ohio
My bud and I just bought the FULL kit directly from Suzuki. Its the same kit the dealer buys when you option out your VStrom. They don't order the guards and then all the hardware seperately, they just buy the dealer kit. Ours were $68 Canadian. Thats EVERYTHING you need in one box, with instructions. It would've been about $80 seperately (from Suzuki).

Call your dealer and have him look it up.

In the words of luvtoride, their the kitties titties!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I thought about spots and it's propably the way to go. My bike does not have risers and the bars are set back all the way. Before, when I needed a clearer view behind me I could move my arm in a little and I could see. I thought it could be a problem because the Gen II mirrors do block some air to the hands by themselves so they are in the line of sight. I also think how much the guards are in the way would vary by rider and what angle you set the levers.

I did do a search and wondered why on a recent post asking for Any Problems with VStrom Guards nobody mentioned this, so I thought it was a good new post.

I would not consider changing stock mirrors, they worked great until now so I would take the guards off first. I'll try to find a way to make it work for me for the 4 months of winter. After that, they would come off anyway, a 5 minute task.

On another note, I had a '96 Royal Star and which I put on National Cycle hand guards. They worked great and were dark tinted clear plastic. Anyone who also rides a cruiser with a police style shield I would recommend those for cool weather.

Hey jnor, Do you have the hand guards? If so, where'd you order them from?

fjrgoodies.com I think they were $60.00 complete with all hardware.....it took me about 15 minutes to install them.

I considered the FZ mirrors, but I decided that I didn't want the mirrors sticking out any farther. I use spot mirrors, but I took a slightly different approach. I set the stock mirrors to where I could see directly behind using the outer half of each mirror and placed the spot mirrors on the inner quarter or third of the mirrors that only looked at the hand guards, anyway. I found some spot mirrors a Shucks Auto that were adjustable, which worked even better. The best trade off, IMO... :)

I'm going to add a spot and try a few different places to see what works best over the weekend, the cheap & quick solution.

I currently use a Corbin seat which is lower than stock; so that could be a factor in why my rear view is partially blocked by the guards.

This is where my spots work best for me.

Mirror.jpg

Latest posts