VStrom hand guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capttwb

Reaction score
Installed the VStrom hand guards. Took the FJR out to see how they performed, very good at keeping the hands warmer. However they made the poor rear view of the stock mirrors even worse. Anyone come up with any modifications to improve the rear view with the guards installed?

I don't have the hand guards but the Gen1 FZ1 mirrors is a big inprovement over stock. you can see what's directly behind you in both mirrors without adjusting you position on the bike.

Dang. Just ordered the hand guards and didn't know about the mirror issue. Wasn't really planning the FZ-1 mirrors.

Hmmm... Haven't done alot of riding since installing my guards (damn snow and cold weather!) but I didn't notice the mirror issue. Does that just effect short stubby riders? :p I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm out (tomorrow should be nice enough... if the ice on the roads melts.) This may be an issue for installing bar risers. :(

edit: But damn the guards work great! And they look good too. (Well Carver's guard install excepted! :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using bar risers?
Gearman, Yes I am using risers, never thought about that. So, I can see the really bad rear view only affects bikes with the risers. That is good for the other guys to know. Thanks.
Looks like Gearman beat me to the riser thought by a few seconds! :D

There is some one on the forum that McGyver'd a bracket to raise the stock mirror. Can't tell you where the post is though, but it's here somewhere.