Vstron hand guard kit question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd493

Reaction score
For those rider's that have ordered the hand guards as a kit, did you receive the newer style guard from 2004 -up with the kit?

I've got The farkle bug and I'm premeditating installation.

Thanks

I originally had the old style hand guards. When they had been used for a number of years and the mount holes were beginning to crack I replaced them with the new style (with the support on the handle bar weights).

I like them. They don't seem to protect the ends of my fingers like the old style so I ordered Garauld's extenders (check the Vendor Offer coulumn). No more cold finger tips.

I originally had the old style hand guards. When they had been used for a number of years and the mount holes were beginning to crack I replaced them with the new style (with the support on the handle bar weights).
I like them. They don't seem to protect the ends of my fingers like the old style so I ordered Garauld's extenders (check the Vendor Offer coulumn). No more cold finger tips.

I ordered mine yesterday, so I'm hoping they are the newer style. I had seen the extenders, they are nice.

Not sure where you ordered the kit from but I hope it's what you're looking for.

For others considering these it is important to note that the 650 guards are different than the 1000 guards. The 2004+ guards for the 1000 are the ones with the wrap around at the bar ends.

Not sure where you ordered the kit from but I hope it's what you're looking for.
For others considering these it is important to note that the 650 guards are different than the 1000 guards. The 2004+ guards for the 1000 are the ones with the wrap around at the bar ends.

Here's the kit I got, --Vstrom hand guards

I'm guessing I'll get the newer style but anything is better than nothing.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the kit I got, --Vstrom hand guards
Does that include the hardware? I'd have thought the DL650 would already have the required hardware and this is an upgrade kit for it. :unsure:

After confirming those hardware part numbers are the same as on my '03 Strom, I just scavenged the hardware off the clutch side of the Strom and assembled my new '04 style guard on the FJR. Went together beautifully. I'm going to attempt the brake side but noticed that the lever bolt on that side is a different hight than the other (despite being the same part # on the OEM parts fiche. :unsure: ) It should be noted that you do not need to buy the 2 lever bolt nuts (08316-10063) as the ones on the FJR are virtually identical and reusable.

You'll need the lever bolts. They are "towers" that the hand guards slip over. I use a couple of old body screws (large head) from my old Concourse to secure them.

You might try Gary McCoy, info in this thread, they (Mondak Motorsports) are also a Suzuki Dealer. I ordered my hand guards from Gary when I was buying some FJR pieces (brakes, rotors, etc.).

You'll need the lever bolts. They are "towers" that the hand guards slip over. I use a couple of old body screws (large head) from my old Concourse to secure them.
You might try Gary McCoy, info in this thread, they (Mondak Motorsports) are also a Suzuki Dealer. I ordered my hand guards from Gary when I was buying some FJR pieces (brakes, rotors, etc.).
https://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/vstrom650handguards.htm-- looks as though it'll be everything I need since the wee-strom ain't got'em standard. Cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying I need those with the kit?

or the previous poster needs them?

Suzuki MSRP is 25 bux for those 2 bolts, LOL ya I'll engineer something
You will need them IF they are NOT included with the kit. After another look, it appears that the DL650 originally did not come with hand guards at all so I would expect that the taller, tapped lever bolts WILL be included. If that's the case, you got a good deal and it'll mount up easily. Otherwise, I've in the garage and online hardware catalogs for the last little while. I don't think engineering something is a practical solution (unless you happen to have a CNC lathe in the garage.)

To repeat my past advice:

You could be pleasantly surprised at how much he will save you. All it takes is an email telling him what you want and wait for his answer with the price. He's been very good to FJR owners for years.

It's your wallet.

Reply, ya I've seen his name mentioned before in CCT threads, and will likely contact him mid-winter when I tackle the CCT on my '05. Didn't realize he had access to Suzuki parts or prolly would've gone that way with this task.

[SIZE=12pt]I have an 08 with a Kaoko throttle control installed. Does anyone know if the hand-guards will still fit?[/SIZE]

I have an 08 with a Kaoko throttle control installed. Does anyone know if the hand-guards will still fit?
From the pictures on their website it appears your throttle control is a star wheel on the outside of the right grip. That's where the "new gen" version of the V-strom hand guards rests against the bar-end weight. We space our weights enough to allow the hand guard support to rest against the weight shaft.

If I were you, I'd buy the "old gen" V-strom hand guards. The don't have the outside piece but still deflect the wind off your hands. In one of the posts above it is mentioned that one of the models is still of that design.

I have an 08 with a Kaoko throttle control installed. Does anyone know if the hand-guards will still fit?
... We space our weights enough to allow the hand guard support to rest against the weight shaft.

Mike,

can you elaborate? I was just about to ask if others have had issues with binding the throttle and spacers is the obvious solution but I've never seen this step mentioned.

... We space our weights enough to allow the hand guard support to rest against the weight shaft.

Mike,

can you elaborate? I was just about to ask if others have had issues with binding the throttle and spacers is the obvious solution but I've never seen this step mentioned.
I do not have stock bar end weights on my bike. I no longer use the Throttlemeister "heavy" but keep it for the weight. I had to space the throttle side to allow free rotation of the throttle tube. I used a thinner spacer on the left side because there wasn't enough room and the grip:bar weight interface was too narrow and would force the hand guard piece out. Once I installed a 1/4" spacer everything is "copacetic". :rolleyes:

File it under "Doing What's Necessary"....or "Shade Tree Mechanic Vol. II". :blink:

Just installed the throttle side to see what it looked like. Looks like it was designed for the FJR! :yahoo:

Definitely binds the throttle without a spacer. Nothing suitable here so I guess I'm off to the Hardware store to find an appropriate washer(s). Also noticed that the Suzuki Lever bolt, although it works, is not quite right as the hex does not sit against the lever casting. Anyone know if there is an issue with not 'clamping' the lever assembly? Won't effect operation but looks 'wrong' to me. Oh well, short of buying a lathe, I guess it's good enough!

Just installed the throttle side to see what it looked like. Looks like it was designed for the FJR! :yahoo: Definitely binds the throttle without a spacer. Nothing suitable here so I guess I'm off to the Hardware store to find an appropriate washer(s). Also noticed that the Suzuki Lever bolt, although it works, is not quite right as the hex does not sit against the lever casting. Anyone know if there is an issue with not 'clamping' the lever assembly? Won't effect operation but looks 'wrong' to me. Oh well, short of buying a lathe, I guess it's good enough!
The oem hardware really didn't work so I made my own. I had the throttle binding problem so I also made some barends to suit. Tried them out today and really like 'em.

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02382.jpg