VVME HID Conversion Kit $80

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked in the bin o facts and in my manual. The correct headlight bulbs for an 08 fjr is h4 correct?If I were to convert over to HID, would I just order an h4 set and choose the whiteness to my taste or is there some other variable?

I've seen 35w 55w thin ballasts, regular ballasts.

What would you suggest? I guess the slim ballasts would be good if you have a whole bunch of other electronics in there for the extra room.

It gets confusing. Is 35 better than 55 or is it a matter of choice? will 55w be too bright?

any help would be appreciated.
Help abounds via use of Google search function.

You would do that by going to Google and searching on "HID Telescopic site:fjrforum.com"

The bolded part is the trick to searching just this forum. Put whatever words you want in front of that.

Like this: Click me

There is no need for 50 watt HIDs IMO. The 35 watt units are very bright already and I myslef would save the extra watts from your alternator for other uses. Consider this, the total power consumed by the headlight system will be somewhat more that the total for the two bulbs. So it will be around 85-90 watts total for the 35's and around 120-130 watts for the 50's. When your battery or charging system is being overtaxed you can turn off your aux lights, heated clothing, GPS, Intercom, etc, but you can't turn off your headlights. But, if you want the 50 watters, they are bound to be brighter still, go for it.

You DO want 4300k bulbs if you can get them, or as close to 4300k as possible, as these will be the absolute brightest. Higher temperature bulbs will be more blue, attract more attention (good and bad) and be marginally less bright. Lower temp are OK too but will appear yellow and will also attract attention from the local constabulary, and may not pass state safety tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a set of these and they arrived in 4 days. The kit looks well made and the ballasts look a bit large. It will take me some time to work up the energy to try to fit these into my 06 FJR as I doubt that they will fit. It will be a nice winter project to see if I can make this work.

Has anyone used this HID lighting kit on their FJR? VVME H4 HID Conversion Kit I talked to a BMW owner that told me he has used this kit for 2 years with no problems. Others that he rides with have ordered and used kits from this website--all with no complaints.

Hello,

I have not, I have installed HID im motorcycles for over ten years.... I have had hundreds of "HID" conversations with people and IN MY OPINON it really just boils down to this....... there are MANY,MANY HID kits out there....

(real kits, not bulbs for people thinking some HID kits are just bulbs..... THEY ARE NOT..... the others are just advertising ploys and play on words)

If you find a kit that you have found people that are happy with and its in your price range, go get it, and install it.... Here is the catch, the cheep units are made in China and India and have and are made with undesirable parts. The kits DO work but the real question is for how long.. Some of the "kits" have warranties where the seller will stand behind the "kit" for X amount of time....... Again this is all good.... Its a crap shoot... If you install the kit, are you willing to tear it all back apart EVER to have the part under warranty if the warranty still good..... OR do you want to pay your installer AGAIN to have you HID replaced under warranty ?? Hell, they might last ten years,,,, LOL But in my experience they DONT !!!! I have some what learned the hard way and I ONLY install HELLA from Germany and Philips bulbs.... Makes me think 'whats the difference between am $80.00 kit and a $300 / $400 kit'....... If you EVER have the opportunity look in the ballast box and you will see a HUGE difference....

For me, only speaking about myself.... I will save up and bite the big one and get the HELLA, install it and live happily ever after.. I have a bike with one in it going on nine years with NOT ONE PROBLEM..... :) :) But the cheep one might have done the same thing, I just was not willing to take the chance.

Also, ONLY HELLA, Phillips,and BOSCH and just a few more companies have the computer-diagnostic-machine to test the true 'K' Lumen's of there bulbs... Ive been told that this one machine is many millions of dollars and the China / India companies don't have this machine and can not test there 'K', and again that is a good guess on there part, im sure with some type of scientific backing.... but they don't test true lumen's like the people mentioned above......

Just a word of advice from ten years experience..... if you (anyone) goes with the 'knock off kit' use a little silicon around the ballast and the plug into the ballast. All HID units are susceptible to water and moisture......

I'm NO master expert in the HID department but I have a little experience, if I can learn from anyone else I would love to pick up more info, always... The things I have just spoke about are a few things I know pertaining to the question about the original post.......... :) :) :) :)
Very good input. I myself will invest in the hid upgrade and your post made a few things clear to me.

Thanks

the ballasts look a bit large. It will take me some time to work up the energy to try to fit these into my 06 FJR as I doubt that they will fit. It will be a nice winter project to see if I can make this work.
Some ideas of HID component placement on your Gen II bike: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=11988
Thanks for the link Warchild, my ballasts are smaller than the ones you were dealing with so maybe there is hope after all. :yahoo:

Latest posts