want to receive txt messages on my GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
Here's a serious question:

I want to receive txt messages on my GPS screen...my bluetoothed Zumo already shows caller ID and has downloaded my contact list from my phone.

Seems to me it's very much doable

Anyone ???

I'd rather a message come over the screen than receiving a phone call and gabbing or not hearing over the noise or bad connection or dropped call

A message on the screen with quick request, info, and instruction would be great.

Guess in phase 2, it could give a few one button replys to optionally hit like "yes", "no", "wait", or "will call you back."

Texting is a whole different area than phone calls. But depending on the phone, and the Bluetooth, there may be a "sort of" in here somewhere.

I don't have a BT GPS, just a headset that my phone is paired to. When I receive a text while carrying the phone normally, I get the little ding sound. When I'm hooked up with the headset, the damn phone reads me the text out loud!

Surely my HTC winphone is not superior in this regard to the almighty iPhone??!?!??!?!

I don't believe the Zumo has the capability.... at best I think all you can expect to hear is a tone and maybe the caller ID of the person who sent the text. All you can do is put your headset on and have someone text you..........

If you revert back to one of the early firmware releases for the Zumo 550, it will prompt you with a BLUETOOTH DEVICE DISCONNECTED message, or something similar, whenever the "beep" of a text message is received. IIRC that firmware was roughly three years ago.

Neither the 550 nor the 660 have any provision for handling text messages. I doubt they ever will because of the typical DMV regulations prohibiting texting while driving.

I agree, it would be nice to see the message. There is no need for the ability to reply (that can wait until stopped).

But the full extent of the problem lies in the interface between the Garmin and the phone. Bluetooth uses a "profile" to define the protocol between them, in this case a "headset with display" profile. This is a (supposedly) industry standard, i.e. phones aren't programmed to talk to Garmins specifically and vice versa.

So, to make this work, you'll need to work with the Bluetooth industry standards group (IETF?) to define a new profile that allows sending of text messages. Then get phones and Garmin's to adopt it (perhaps in a software update) for it to be functional.

Let me know when I can buy one ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on your phone, there are apps available for most smart phones that will read the txt message. Some may go so far as to allow you to reply using speech-to-text.

Why is this so important? If someone knows you're riding they should appreciate how safe you are by NOT reading, replying or otherwise taking your attention away from the road.

Nokia N900. Takes care of the GPS, has text message capability (ignore reviews which say no MMS, it does do MMS), will play your music, has a 5mp camera with flash, video and Carl Zeiss optics with geotag for the photos (so's you can show's where's you's been's). It has Adobe Flash Player (you can use google maps with the traffic update feature). If fits well inside of the Givi S850 and not to bad in the RAM Mounts "Universal Small Aqua Box Cradle Holder Holster" and because the screen has a light sensor it is visible in bright light and isn't too bright at night (light sensor causes screen to brighten or darken). It has a full keyboard and an on screen keyboard so you can use it when it's in a case. It has a resistive screen unlike the iPhone which has a capacitive screen. The iPhone requires contact with skin, the N900 does not. It has true multitasking.

Best of all it's open source so you can use free QT, Linux, Debian, and Maemo software and you can make and add your own software to it. You can actually use it to make the software which you will use with it (SDK's are available free for programming with it). It is a tiny Linux computer with a phone function.

This would solve your Text Message/GPS problem.

David

Oh come on! If you are that important that you feel the need to read text messages while riding down the highway, you should consider staying at home with your phone strapped to your wrist.

My kids (all in their 20's) won't communicate other than by text message, so being out riding is my relief from whatever major catastrophe from my wife or daughters that may come up. Unless they hit all six numbers on the Powerball, I really don't want to hear about it, especially while on my bike.

One of the main pleasures of riding is temporarily forgetting I'm married and not worrying whether one of my daughters thinks the air in their front tires is low because the front tires are squished down more than the rear tires.

And work, who cares about work!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh come on! If you are that important that you feel the need to read text messages while riding down the highway, you should consider staying at home with your phone strapped to your wrist.

My kids (all in their 20's) won't communicate other than by text message, so being out riding is my relief from whatever major catastrophe from my wife or daughters that may come up. Unless they hit all six numbers on the Powerball, I really don't want to hear about it, especially while on my bike.
Gunny +1.

My wife and kids would rather text than call. I try to remind them that the stupid things in their hands have this nifty feature that lets you actually talk to the person they are trying to communicate with in REAL FREAKIN TIME. Sorry for the rant just a major annoyance of mine. I don't mind a quick text such as call me when you can or please bring home a gallon of milk but I HATE carrying on a full conversation via text message especially while we are both in the same house just two rooms away.

I would not mind being able to see text alerts on my Zumo if it was "Text Messages Received" but I don't think I want to actually have the full text message displayed. I would feel obligated to actually read it and would inevitably have a cager decide they needed my lane immediately and without my permission.

Just my $0.02 worth. You can keep the change.

Gunny Dat! If you're gonna have a conversation, make the damn call!!!!

The other one I hate is when you get a question from a coworker, text is fine. I'll text back the answer and put the phone away, just in time to get a text back with 'K' and nothing else. Seriously? You had to make me stop again and read 'K'?!?!?!?!