• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanting to buy 2008 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Kiwis

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be touring the States on an FJR from 17 Sept this year. Our tickets are booked, now all we need is a bike. After much deliberation we've decided we'd like to get a 2008 AE. We have a 2006 A version here in NZ and before that we had a 2005 so we are very familiar with the FJR. We're looking for a very low mileage bike, under 5000 miles, hopefully with a number of extras, eg: top box or trunk, cruise control or throttle lock, custom seat, GPS etc etc. We might be asking a lot but if you don't ask you don't get. Ideally we'd like to find a bike on the east coast somewhere as we plan on riding East Coast to West Coast then send the bike home from LA. If we can find the right deal we're happy to purchase well in advance if the vendor is happy to store it until we arrive in September. Another option may be that we find someone to take delivery of the bike and store it for us until our arrival. If we find a suitable deal without the extras we may need assitance in arranging for the extras to be added so any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

Here's one, it has a few more miles than you were hoping for.https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=717000
Thanks, appreciate the interest. the reason I'm looking for such a low mileage bike is that we'll probably add about 8000 mls before sending it home to NZ where we use the metric system and when you convert miles to Kilometers it doesn't look so good for resale value. Keep us in mind if you hear of any low mileage bikes.

My wife and I are going to be touring the States on an FJR from 17 Sept this year. Our tickets are booked, now all we need is a bike. After much deliberation we've decided we'd like to get a 2008 AE. We have a 2006 A version here in NZ and before that we had a 2005 so we are very familiar with the FJR. We're looking for a very low mileage bike, under 5000 miles, hopefully with a number of extras, eg: top box or trunk, cruise control or throttle lock, custom seat, GPS etc etc. We might be asking a lot but if you don't ask you don't get. Ideally we'd like to find a bike on the east coast somewhere as we plan on riding East Coast to West Coast then send the bike home from LA. If we can find the right deal we're happy to purchase well in advance if the vendor is happy to store it until we arrive in September. Another option may be that we find someone to take delivery of the bike and store it for us until our arrival. If we find a suitable deal without the extras we may need assitance in arranging for the extras to be added so any advice or assistance would be appreciated.
Just out of interest did you buy your 06 in Timaru?

Yes indeed Dave, you've got me.

Just to give you a benchmark, I still see brand new 08's for $11,300 regularly. Opposite end of the country for you, but at least it puts a stick in the ground.

Search craigslist for cities on the east coast. If you find one, it may be difficult to arrange the purchase, as craigslist actively discourages long distance vehicle transactions due to the scam artists out there. You would probably need the help of a board member local to the seller to get it done with the least hassle.

Yes indeed Dave, you've got me.

Ah good I thought your story sounded familiar! So how is my old girl treating you both? I trust all is well! Still got this horrible space in the garage!

I have just finishing restoring the XJ Turbo I had sitting there and am getting out a bit on that but only locally. I am off work full time now on extended leave.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned and am sure you will like the 08 or newer models, they have a nice enhancement in the gearbox oiling that will make for even nicer shifting. Good luck on finding one and have a great time over there!

All the best

Dave

Hello i thought i might respond to your ad i have a 08 fjr Ae you can contact me [email protected] if you like ? It has low miles its gray .Its had the recalls done and the first service not real sure on the price yet maybe 9300?? It does not have the back hard bag but it does have the parts too be installed except the bag . Im watching a rear bag on ebay now please email me with some of your travel details when you get time thanks and what you are looking for and the time frame also

As of 2 weeks ago when I was shopping for my own FJR , both of these dealers had brand new FJR1300 AE's in their showroom.

https://www.corralmotorcycles.com/

https://www.ridenowconcord.com/

They are both really good dealers in suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina, where I live. I'm sure both will make you a great deal on these leftovers. I think at least one of them is a 2008. Could be a 2009 in there as well.

Another dealer, also in this same area, has a used 2006 FJR1300AE with only 2500 miles on it. I have sat on it and it's in really perfect shape. The price was just above $9,000. It already has a Givi topbox on it.

https://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/

Charlotte, NC has a major international airport, so you will be easily able to fly in and to get to any of those dealers. Charlotte is a great launching point for a drive west across the US. As you drive west across the North Carolina border, past Asheville (awesome town) and into Knoxville, Tennessee, you will travel across some of the most spectacular mountain scenery to be found in the USA, the Great Smokey Mountains. Absolutely beautiful. You can also check out The Dragon's Tail, which is in western North Carolina - it's a very famous, scenic road with miles of hairpin turns.

Best of luck in your search!

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 2 weeks ago when I was shopping for my own FJR , both of these dealers had brand new FJR1300 AE's in their showroom.
https://www.corralmotorcycles.com/

https://www.ridenowconcord.com/

They are both really good dealers in suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina, where I live. I'm sure both will make you a great deal on these leftovers. I think at least one of them is a 2008. Could be a 2009 in there as well.

Another dealer, also in this same area, has a used 2006 FJR1300AE with only 2500 miles on it. I have sat on it and it's in really perfect shape. The price was just above $9,000. It already has a Givi topbox on it.

https://www.matthewsfunmachines.com/

Charlotte, NC has a major international airport, so you will be easily able to fly in and to get to any of those dealers. Charlotte is a great launching point for a drive west across the US. As you drive west across the North Carolina border, past Asheville (awesome town) and into Knoxville, Tennessee, you will travel across some of the most spectacular mountain scenery to be found in the USA, the Great Smokey Mountains. Absolutely beautiful. You can also check out The Dragon's Tail, which is in western North Carolina - it's a very famous, scenic road with miles of hairpin turns.

Best of luck in your search!

Lee
Thanks for the suggestions for the bikes and for the interest and info for our trip. We're not particularly wealthy so we're not lookin to buy a new bike, we think we can get better value for money buying late model second hand, hence we're looking for a used 08 with very low miles and hopefully some extras.

Understood. Here is another site you might use to find some, called CycleTrader. Some are private sales, some will be dealers. You can select year, region (North East, South East, Mid Atlantic, etc) as well as your price range. Use FJR, FJR1300, or FJR1300AE as search terms.

https://www.cycletrader.com/find/search-res...Sort-Year:DESC/

I don't know what your budget is, but the 2006 with 2,500 miles, for $9,000 at Matthews Fun Machines (above) seems to be an average price for a low mileage 2006/2007 FJR. I had considered a 2006 non-AE from a private seller for $8,500 with 2,000 miles, but it is no longer available. The 2008's with low mileage seem to be around $11,000 and there are some brand new ones to be had near that price.

best of luck and enjoy your trip!

Lee

Understood. Here is another site you might use to find some, called CycleTrader. Some are private sales, some will be dealers. You can select year, region (North East, South East, Mid Atlantic, etc) as well as your price range. Use FJR, FJR1300, or FJR1300AE as search terms.
https://www.cycletrader.com/find/search-res...Sort-Year:DESC/

I don't know what your budget is, but the 2006 with 2,500 miles, for $9,000 at Matthews Fun Machines (above) seems to be an average price for a low mileage 2006/2007 FJR. I had considered a 2006 non-AE from a private seller for $8,500 with 2,000 miles, but it is no longer available. The 2008's with low mileage seem to be around $11,000 and there are some brand new ones to be had near that price.

best of luck and enjoy your trip!

Lee
Thanks again for your interest my friend. I've been watching Craigslist closely for some time and am able to purchase an 08 manual shift with about 1600 miles for $9000 so thats a figure I'm sort of basing things on I guess. I'll check out the cycletrader sight as well thanks.

Here an AE in my area on the east coast. Let me know if I can help in any way. I also have plenty of room in the garage for safe keeping.Clicky
Thanks for that my friend, we've seen that one on Craigs list, a little expensive for us. We're currently talking with Speedtoyz who has one for sale so we'll see how that goes.