Warm and Safe Gloves - Maybe no workee?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I recently purchase some Warm and Safe Ultimate Touring Heated Gloves. They work great. Keep my hands nice and cozy. However, I can't tell if they are working by heating up or just the fact they are 'winter' glove. I have them connected to my WnS jacket (new as well) and the jacket heats up and you know it is working. You can FEEL the heat from way low on up. But, the gloves, I can't really feel them heating up. Is this normal? If they were defective... it would have to be very rare to purchase new gloves and get both a left and a right glove to be kaput.

Thoughts?

Grazi.

Scott

ultimate-touring-gloves-8780__98112.1330126615.1280.1280.jpg

I think you are right that it is unlikely they are both defective. I have the same gloves, and you can absolutely tell when they are at full on! Try connecting power directly to the gloves. If they are working, you will feel heat in under a minute. The most likely scenario is something goofed up in the wiring connections at the jacket. If the gloves prove functional, then check the connections.

If you have a single controller, for jacket and gloves, the cord inside the interior liner left bottom is connected. The jacket liner will seem warmer than the gloves. If you have a dual controller, you unplug that connector and have one of the controllers plugged into the glove portion, then you control jacket and gloves separately. The loose end then is used for pant liners or socks, all tied into the jacket heat.

Controller for gloves usually will be on a higher setting than the jacket.

Controller for gloves usually will be on a higher setting than the jacket.
This ^^^^ I found the same symptoms with my Tourmaster set-up. The liner works wonderful on low, but the gloves need medium to put out meaningful heat.

Use a dual controller or wear a thicker long sleeve shirt and run the set-up on medium.

YMMV

--G

Yes its normal. Turn off or unplug the gloves and it'll be obvious they were working.
^ This. Not nearly as noticeable as the liner.

I had them hated them switched to gerbings.
After one of my WnS gloves crapped out a few seasons ago, I replaced them with a pair of Gerbing's. The Gerbing's definitely put out more heat and are better insulated but they also have more bulk. The WnS' seem designed more like a sport glove with some heating elements whereas the Gerbing's maybe more like a snowmobile glove. I like the WnS' as a Fall/Spring glove when it's a bit chilly. I go with the Gerbing's for any cold winter rides. YMMV.

So... it took me some time, but determined all is well. I had to purchase the WnS long splitter cable for gloves and socks so I could connect them directly to my Heat Troller. Turned the knob up all the way and they definitely work. I think, before, they were connected to the jacket and at low heat settings it did not feel like they were working. Even cranked higher, they seemed to not work. I really need to dial the system in and do some more testing to really figure out the best use. Got all winter to figure it out!
cold.gif

Thanks for the info mates.

Scott

You can buy a digital thermometer with a 3-foot wire for about $10.

Hook up the gloves (without wearing them), throw the thermometer sensor wire in there and watch the temp for a minute. THen turn on the power to the gloves and again watch teh temperature.

THis will let you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what's going on and you can use the thermometer for checking the temperature of you beer fridge when you're done with it (at least that's what I do).

So... it took me some time, but determined all is well. I had to purchase the WnS long splitter cable for gloves and socks so I could connect them directly to my Heat Troller. Turned the knob up all the way and they definitely work. I think, before, they were connected to the jacket and at low heat settings it did not feel like they were working. Even cranked higher, they seemed to not work. I really need to dial the system in and do some more testing to really figure out the best use. Got all winter to figure it out!
cold.gif

Thanks for the info mates.

Scott
Yeah, dual controller is really required as the body needs a different heat/elec. setting than the fingers.

I had the same problem with my set up. Warm n Safe even replaced jacket liner and gloves and it didn't fix the issue. Jacket gets plenty warm and I can tell a difference in heat changes. The gloves are another story! Been thinking of switching to Gerbings for more heat on my hands!

Had a similar situation with the WnS glove liners...my hands were getting burned (working in conjunction with the heated liner). Turns out I didn't configure the connection in the liner pocket correctly (I have the wireless controller); once I figured that out, all was well.

Funny how we see the same differently. I have Gerbings jacket liner and gloves and worried a bit when I saved money getting just the single controller (later replaced with a hard-wired Heatroller). The jacket liner's feeling of warmth is unmistakeable. At the same setting I do not even feel heat in the gloves, just that my hands do not get cold. That seems perfect to me.

From what I've read the Warm n' Safe sporty style gloves are more protective, but not as electrically warm as their "regular" touring style gloves. I could not imagine having more heat on my hands than what the Warm n' Safe touring style gloves deliver at about 3/4 volume on the heattroller.

I agree with those who have recommended you get a dual heattroller and drive the gloves off of one output. I imagine that they most likely have put the glove connectors in series with the jacket liner, which means that you will get less heat in those gloves and in the liner than when they are separately driven..

Latest posts