Warning: Helibars - Hidden Charges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalmoto

Reaction score
Just wanted to spread the word.

Helibars is now screwing over their customers.

Tonight I ordered a set of bar risers for my wife's SV650. The bars are $279. I picked 3 day shipping for another $20.43. I checked out and approved a $299.43 purchase.

Then the receipt shows up:

Shipping Method: UPS 3-Day Select

Products Subtotal: $279.00

UPS 3-Day Select: $20.43

Handling Charges: $6.00

$6 handling charge? I didn't approve any handling charge! The amount approved: $299.43. The amount charged: $305.43

Those lying motherf*ckers... What a slimy thing to do. I don't even care about the $6. It is the principle of it! If they add extra charges to my order, what else are they going to do? Is the product what they say it is? Will they back it up if I have a problem? And the downward slide begins.

Now, I'm looking for alternatives. And oh yes, I've canceled the order.

Helibars ==
yousuck.png

Yup got the 6.00 “handling charge” last week when I ordered mine. Welcome to the new economy where every company is trying to pass on costs to the customer without raising there prices. Fees and charges everywhere are getting a bit nutty.

As for the Helibars. Good luck finding something that works as well. There product makes the stock triple clamp look skimpy. And they really do the trick for me.

Have you tried to adjust your stock bars yet? I believe they have 30mm of Adjustment with the factory triple clamp. If you need just a little bit of a move.

When you take the bar off you will see 3 or 4 sets of holes that you can move the stock position to.

Good luck!

Those lying motherf*ckers... What a slimy thing to do. I don't even care about the $6. It is the principle of it! If they add extra charges to my order, what else are they going to do? Is the product what they say it is? Will they back it up if I have a problem? And the downward slide begins.

Helibars ==
yousuck.png
Did you try to contact Helibars about the $6 handling charge? It was probably an overiste with their website design not listing the handling charge with our purchase total. They are a reliable company with a good track record for customer service. All their products are made in the U.S.A. (in Chornish Maine). They have 15 employees and really care about what the manufacturer and their customers. I have used helibars on doezens of bikes with no problems. If you have any issues with the riser for your SV650 they will be responsive.

You could find a Chinese alternative that doesn't have a handling charge -- then if you have a problem with the product/installation try to get a response from them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try to contact Helibars about the $6 handling charge? It was probably an overiste with their website design not listing the handling charge with our purchase total. They are a reliable company with a good track record for customer service. All their products are made in the U.S.A. (in Chornish Maine). They have 15 employees and really care about what the manufacturer and their customers. I have used helibars on doezens of bikes with no problems. If you have any issues with the riser for your SV650 they will be responsive.

You could find a Chinese alternative that doesn't have a handling charge -- then if you have a problem with the product/installation try to get a response from them!
First, I want to say that Helibars refunded the charges this morning. They have made an effort to resolve the issue. I'm still very unhappy with they policies but they weren't impossible to deal with.

To address 3Dogs:

I write software for a living AND I own a staffing company for people like myself. I understand all of the hassles with writing websites and dealing with end users. I've been doing if for a very long time. I also understand the challenges of owning a small business. Believe me, I get how hard it is create "prefect" software solutions AND how hard it is to run a business. I strive to do both every day.

My biggest gripe is with the way it was done. Obviously, I feel like they tried to cheat me. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I don't think so. I order stuff online every week. I've had an Amazon Prime membership since they first appeared. This is the first time I've seen a "handling" charge when ordering direct. It's not like I'm ordering from QVC at 3am on a whim. Nor am I trying to cheap out and buy something that is "good enough" instead of dropping the cash for quality. Nor am I searching for the cheapest price on this exact item. I'm going factory direct. I know going direct means I'm paying full retail. But adding a handling charge is BS. If they have higher production costs, then they should add $6 to the cost of the bars. I'd be 100% cool with paying $285 vs $279. They chose not to do that.

I've found a couple alternatives. ConvertiBars and GIlles Toolings VarioBars with extension. I have ran both options past the Mrs. She likes the Gilles better, but I'm not sure that I can get her new bars before we leave for Banff in 2 weeks. So, I'll probably order the ConvertiBars which are made in the USA. The Gilles units are from Luxembourg with USA distribution through Tucker Rockey. Both options are more expensive than the Helibars.

I think Ranger on the SVRider forum had been using ConvertiBars on her SV650S for years. From what I could tell a couple years ago when I was still active on that forum - she loved them. You probably did so already but a search on ConvertiBars on that forum to see what other riders may be saying about them might be useful.

I ran Convertibars on my '03 SV650S for a couple years before I sold it to buy my FJR. They are great and I would buy them again if needed. There is tons of quick adjustment, especially if you replace the cables to get the most out of them like I did. Coupled with a Sargent seat, they really made the SV a comfortable platform for long distances.

IMG_0718.jpg

Just wanted to spread the word.

Helibars is now screwing over their customers.

Tonight I ordered a set of bar risers for my wife's SV650. The bars are $279. I picked 3 day shipping for another $20.43. I checked out and approved a $299.43 purchase.

Then the receipt shows up:

Shipping Method: UPS 3-Day Select

Products Subtotal: $279.00

UPS 3-Day Select: $20.43

Handling Charges: $6.00

$6 handling charge? I didn't approve any handling charge! The amount approved: $299.43. The amount charged: $305.43

Helibars ==
yousuck.png

USPS Priority: 2 to 3 days $11.95

Sorry for rubbing salt in the wounds.

Dave