WARRANTY VOID - Final Drive Gear Oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have... my new dealer is ME.
That's the spirit bro. You'll never find a dealer who will give you better service than you'd give yourself. Well, maybe a few, but the odds really suck, as you found out.

I can't even imagine what that idiot was thinking. To risk losing a customer by lying so he can sell $5 worth of gear lube???? Defies logic. :dribble:

Yamaha recommends their oil but specifies a GL5. The dealer is out to lunch, but they usually are. Just use a GL5 and don't worry about it.

- Mark

FJR1300 said...
I have... my new dealer is ME. I am now doing ALL my own maintenance or at least I will be after one of the fine members on this board shows me how-to do some things this weekend.

You mean after you come down this weekend, I won't be your new service tech??? O did I tell you, due to insurance regulation.... only service personel allowed in the service area... :p :p Smitty
Hmm, I might just have to get in this action! Whens the tech day Smitty?

Hmm, I might just have to get in this action! Whens the tech day Smitty?
I'm heading over to his place early Saturday morning... and last I heard Steve was going to try and stop in as well.

You mean after you come down this weekend, I won't be your new service tech??? O did I tell you, due to insurance regulation.... only service personel allowed in the service area... :p :p Smitty
:eek:

Oops... I guess I wasn't supposed to say that until AFTER we got done with my bike.

You'll never find a dealer who will give you better service than you'd give yourself.

+1

servicing yourself can be very satisifying :yahoo:

Adam,

Mounting a set of tires, oil change, rear spline service, TBS. on Sat. then going for a ride... Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. And you have to use the official Yamaha wrench to remove the drain plug as well.
You forgot to add that you must be wearing a Blue T Shirt with the Yamaha emblem on it while performing this procedure.....

Yep. And you have to use the official Yamaha wrench to remove the drain plug as well.
You forgot to add that you must be wearing a Blue T Shirt with the Yamaha emblem on it while performing this procedure.....
I have also heard that an understanding of the Japanese language is of huge benefit - :glare:

Unfortunately I do have to have the dealer assemble my bike when delivered. But that will be the last wrench they ever put on it. Most dealers are just clueless when it comes to the maintenance of these bikes and usually the only way to find out is through a bad experience.

When I mention issues that are discussed on this board all I get is the "Deer in the headlight look." Granted there are some good dealers out there. But I don't know how to find them before the damage is done.

Granted there are some good dealers out there. But I don't know how to find them before the damage is done.

You do now... there's a subsection at the bottom of this forum that has people's personal history with various dealers....

Last edited by a moderator:
Communism is dead. Just tell em, "This is America, love it or leave it." Ok Radman, where are ya when we need ya....PM. <>< :D

In general, I can't believe some of the crap that comes out of a dealer tech's mouth which they term advice. Do they ever listen to themselves talk???

Magnuson-Moss (sp?): if they mandate specific brands for routine maint, they have to provide it free of charge. They can specify grades/types is all (20w-40, etc.).

Well.................

I hope some of you around here are better with wrenches than you are at using the forum quote function. Otherwise, there are some FJRs in trouble.

:p

Well.................
I hope some of you around here are better with wrenches than you are at using the forum quote function. Otherwise, there are some FJRs in trouble.

:p
Maybe I could give Smitty some computer lessons the next time he works on my bike. ;)

As far as his mechanic skills... all that I can say is he makes it look easy. Hopefully I'll remember how he did everything so I can do it myself next time.

One thing I learned... use MORE loctite. :lol:

When a dealer gives you BS like that, makes you wonder what he really does or does not do on your bike. Was that the owner of the shop who gave you the BS, or some goof on the counter? If it was the goof, the owner might like to know an employee is lying and chasing away customers. If it was the owner, then he gets what he deserves.