Washing of Tankbags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
On a recent ride I realized my tank bag (Magnetic) really needed cleaning. I pondered how to go about this task.

I am leaning towards placing it in the dishwasher and run it through a full wash and rinse cycle, then treating the bag

with the waterproofing scotch guard that I have been using (That I really like) Does anyone use this method?

Does anyone have better ideas? Post up your ideas please.

Thanks...

Rain + Ride = Clean tank bag.

You of all people should know this.

BTW, congrats to you and your buddy doing the BBG up to the Tech Day. Thought you didn't do cold though? :D

I would use NikWax TX Direct Spray on after washing with a mild detergent like Woolite or NikWax TX Direct Wash-In. My experience in the Seattle area with our months of rain have shown me that NikWax works a lot better than ScotchGuard, at least on jackets, pants and gloves..

Rain + Ride = Clean tank bag.
You of all people should know this.

BTW, congrats to you and your buddy doing the BBG up to the Tech Day. Thought you didn't do cold though?
biggrin.png
I lost phone service on the ride in Cumberland area in Kentucky and chose the wrong route home- rain from S.C. to Northern Florida.

The rain always washed the bags fine until I started waterproofing them. With food storage, the bags are getting dirty from the inside/out.

I was hoping you would show up at the tech day as your 100k mark is arriving. AND I have been deliberately riding in the cold trying to overcome

this weakness I have- But it was not supposed to be THAT cold!

On a recent ride I realized my tank bag (Magnetic) really needed cleaning. I pondered how to go about this task.I am leaning towards placing it in the dishwasher and run it through a full wash and rinse cycle, then treating the bag

with the waterproofing scotch guard that I have been using (That I really like) Does anyone use this method?

Thanks...
I think I would use the washing machine (for clothes) on a gentle cycle and not the dishwasher.

DO NOT use dishwasher detergent - it has a high "grit" content which is used to sort of "sandblast" the stuff off your dishes. It would likely get embedded in your tank bag nooks and crannies.

You could even hand wash with dishwashing LIQUID then rinse several times.

I've used the NIk Wax on a couple of nylon jackets with good results. It does change the feel of the cloth - gets a little stiffer and sort of "waxy" feeling. It sprays on, then dries in a clothes dryer, presumably to dry the liquid and sort of "melt" the waxy stuff to ensure good coverage and penetration.

I think I would use the washing machine (for clothes) on a gentle cycle and not the dishwasher.
DO NOT use dishwasher detergent - it has a high "grit" content which is used to sort of "sandblast" the stuff off your dishes. It would likely get embedded in your tank bag nooks and crannies.
For a lot of fun you could put laundry detergent in the dish washer.

Well, it'll be fun for us if you post pics.
biggrin.png

I was hoping you would show up at the tech day as your 100k mark is arriving. AND I have been deliberately riding in the cold trying to overcomethis weakness I have- But it was not supposed to be THAT cold!
Ya, cold can be a bitch, same with heat though. Remember your Great Lakes tour. Us poor Northerners felt like we were cacking out, and you were looking at us like it was chilly.

All of my bikes are still in storage (latest season EVER). I did get some work done on my little trail bike last Sunday but I didn't take it out. I'm hoping this Sunday will be the first ride of the season. Just have to get through about 2" of rain and snow on Saturday first. It's weird, it's ridable right now and will be tomorrow too, but work gets in the way. Seems like every weekend we get crapped on.

My bike WILL roll 100K in May though. Fo' sho'.

On a recent ride I realized my tank bag (Magnetic) really needed cleaning. I pondered how to go about this task.I am leaning towards placing it in the dishwasher and run it through a full wash and rinse cycle, then treating the bag

Thanks...

You could even hand wash with dishwashing LIQUID then rinse several times.

I've used the NIk Wax on a couple of nylon jackets with good results. It does change the feel of the cloth - gets a little stiffer and sort of "waxy" feeling. It sprays on, then dries in a clothes dryer, presumably to dry the liquid and sort of "melt" the waxy stuff to ensure good coverage and penetration.
I haven't tried the clothes dryer routine yet but did remember to treat my overpants and jacket and let them dry for several hours in the sun late last summer before the rain started in Seattle. Results seemed about the same. I do deviate from the instructions in that I don't wipe off the excess after letting the garment sit for some time. I rub it in until I no longer is pooled on the surface. Seems like a waste of the product to wipe off the excess. Might just be my imagination but I think I get better results.

However you wash it, afterwards, I suggest you dry it the way I've learned to dry wet shoes or boots. Crumple newspapers and stuff it. Helps it dry and holds the shape.

Anyone tried the Nikwax Tent & Gear stuff? It supposedly has UV protectors which must be a good thing as much sun exposure as our gear sees. I've not had the opportunity to rain test it as yet, but my gear hasn't leaked on me the few times I tested it previously.

That Tent & Gear stuff sounds like it might be just the thing. I noticed after washing my Hi-Viz jacket that it was noticeable faded in places across the shoulders, the upper arm area. Doesn't look bad, just noticeable when next to a non-faded section. Jacket is a Tourmaster Transition II purchased in 2010 and it has seen a lot of sunny days in eastern Washington. Not so many in the Puget Sound area where we get a little rain.

Thanks...
washing...what's dat ???
uhoh.gif

and yes, speed through a good rain storm makes my windshield sparkle !!!
rolleyes.gif