Washington, Oregon, Idaho- things to see

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulzilla

Reaction score
Hey

I'll be leaving Minnesota on Tuesday August 8th and I'm ridding to Seattle to attend a wedding. Then I have a week or so to see the Cascade mountains and make my way home. I plan on starting at Mt. Rainier and going south to Crater Lake. I'll go home by way of Hell's Canyon and maybe south of Yellowstone. I've got some maps and I was going to stay loose on the planning, but have you got any tips for good roads or good pie?

I should be done with the wedding Saturday the 12th and I should be back in St. Paul on the 20th. Everything in between is open. What say you?

Paul B.

Hey
I'll be leaving Minnesota on Tuesday August 8th and I'm ridding to Seattle to attend a wedding. Then I have a week or so to see the Cascade mountains and make my way home. I plan on starting at Mt. Rainier and going south to Crater Lake. I'll go home by way of Hell's Canyon and maybe south of Yellowstone. I've got some maps and I was going to stay loose on the planning, but have you got any tips for good roads or good pie?

I should be done with the wedding Saturday the 12th and I should be back in St. Paul on the 20th. Everything in between is open. What say you?

Paul B.
Hi Paul,

In WA I highly recommend the north cascades highway 20 from Okanogan to Burlington. Ride it during the week if at all possible. It's gorgeous and can be cool going over the 5000'+ pass. To get there from Spokane, take highway 2 to 17 and 17 to Okanogan.There's a nice motel in Twisp on the left as you leave town and the Twisp River Bar and Grill has great food and live jazz some nights. There also are a number of places to stay in Winthrop up the road but I've not stayed overnight there yet.

I was in Yellowstone 7/4. If you go, figure out when you'll be there and see if there are any last minute rooms available at the Old Faithful Inn (in the original part of the bldg) or any of the other lodges in the park. I lucked out and got a single room there for $90! It's a really nice way to end the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to call Mt. St. Helens anything less than breathtaking. Every year it's different since the eruption 26 years ago. Besides, there are some great roads the FJR would love up there. One could treat it as a different day or in one day combined with Mt. Rainier.

Thanks guys.

I've also heard good things about Oregon's 395. That fits in with my over all route. Mt. St. Helen's Eastern entrance was recommended over the Western entrance.

I'm looking forward to seeing so many things.

Paul B.