Waterproof riding boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glory racing

Reaction score
I have only been able to find a pair of Sidi's that are available in a wide width. Anyone know of any others?

thanx

I have very wide feet. I wear the Oxtar Matrix boots and find them comfortable, waterproof, and durable. They are pricey and I don't care for the styling, but I wear them in both hot and cold and they work well. Mine are a couple years old and I think they now make the Matrix II, which costs even more.

Before I got the Oxtars I wore Bates duty boots. They are also wide and comfortable, cost well under $100, discounted in may places. and very durable. They are not waterproof but I made mine waterproof by spraying them with silicon waterproofing spray once a year. The big advantage of the Bates is that you can readily find them in sporting goods stores and try them on.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Oxtar Matrix 2....now called TCX.

Worn in some heavy downpours and feet were not even damp...

Wear a size 12EE....found the Euro size 48 gave me enough roon for a double pair of socks in the winter, but still fit well inthe summer with thin socks...

+1+1 on the Oxtar. They are under another brand name now. I am on my second pair and had each one retreaded once. In the spring I will go for the third set. Size 13 EE feet.

I have a pair of the Sidi Vertigo Megas that I wear when its raining at the time of departure. Otherwise I wear the Sidi Vertigo Corsa Airs. Its hard to beat these boots. They're expensive, but I would rather have boots made in Italy that send my money to China. The Italians will NEVER be a threat to the US. Can't say the same about the Chinese.

+3 I guess now for the Oxtar's. Really nice and wear well. The waterproofing stuff works well, I use it on hunting boots and it works very fine. HD boot's ( I do not know the maker) bit me well ( 12D) and I have used them before. They also have the used the booties on more and in a pinch are OK in an emergency, but I don't really care for them for more than that.

The Cruiserworks boots are waterproof and come in wide sizes. I have a pair that have been resoled by Cruiserworks which are still keep the wet out for 4 to 5 hours in pouring rain...

I had the Oxtar Matrix, very confortable but the zipper wore out before the boot, I got a pair of Aerostich Combat Lite boots, these will last a long time but needs breaking in time, but worth it.

Marcus

Here is an alternative to waterproof boots.

I carry a pair with my rain gear when I travel.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/4...ain-Covers.aspx

They will keep your boots dry if you're wearing them right, and they're a lot cheaper than buying a second pair of boots for the rain. And they're a lot better than wearing waterproof boots for every ride (at least I personally prefer more breathing for my boots than even GoreTex can accomplish). And they take up a lot less space than trying to pack a pair of boots along with your rain gear.

I have a pair of Sidi airs for summer and a pair of Chippewa Rally's that I have been using for winter. Both good boots but neither are really waterproof. Now I need (want) a pair of warm waterproof that I can wear in winter with large wool socks to keep the toes warm.

Lots of comments on the Oxtar (and others), but they do not specifically come in wide widths. Do you believe they could accomodate my size 8EEE goofy ass feet with big socks and still allow some wiggle room as well?

thanx

I have a pair of Sidi airs for summer and a pair of Chippewa Rally's that I have been using for winter. Both good boots but neither are really waterproof. Now I need (want) a pair of warm waterproof that I can wear in winter with large wool socks to keep the toes warm.
Lots of comments on the Oxtar (and others), but they do not specifically come in wide widths. Do you believe they could accomodate my size 8EEE goofy ass feet with big socks and still allow some wiggle room as well?

thanx
I know you're more interested in the other brands, but I thought I'd add some thoughts that aren't relevant to the Oxtars or other brands.

The GoreTex Sidi Vertigo Megas will easily handle your EEE width with large socks. They may breath, but they're not flowing air like the Airs do. I find them much warmer than the Airs.

However, if you're a die hard cold weather rider, you might want to consider the Gerbing Comfort socks. In my opinion, the Gerbing socks run on the small side... but socks will stretch. It would be best to try a pair on. Between the Gerbing socks and the Sidi Vertigo Megas, I've got no foot issues for cold or wet weather.

And one last quick thought....

Back before I developed an appreciation for boots, I bought a pair of Bass Pro Shops Rancher style waterproof boots. The water proofing was excellent, and they were very comfortable for general walking around after getting to the destination. I liked them a lot, and they had a size that fit my foot (typically 10.5 or 11 with Extra Wide, or EE to EEE).

I wore these for a couple of seasons while riding several different bikes, but after extended rides on the ST1100, my shifter foot would hurt.

Eventually the big toe on my shifter foot started giving trouble right along the line where the shift contacted the boot. The Honda shifter design is incredibly stupid, at least for someone like me. Instead of putting the axis of rotation along an axis parallel to the axis of rotation for the ankle, they put it on an axis of rotation that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation for the ankle. This forces the shift to roll along the side of your foot, and it can lead to repetitive stress issues.

I had several events, all following long rides on the Honda, and eventually I bought a pair of Red Wings with steel toes. This helped some, but since the steel toe's end line was right at the stress point for my foot, it was not enough to totally eliminate the problem, and eventually I was not only hobbled on the Honda, but also on other bikes.

I bought a Burgman to keep riding, and owned it for two weeks before selling it and buying the FJR AE. I also picked up the Sidi boots and stopped wearing the Red Wings.

I've ridden over 9000 miles on various bikes in the last five months. I know that's not a lot compared to the hard core LD riders, but it is a fair amount. I have been "left foot issue free" (knock on wood). Not even a hint of trouble. A bit less than half of that mileage has been on bikes with regular shifts/clutches, so even though the AE requires no foot work to shift, I am still loading that foot fairly frequently.

Boots are important. If the boots don't offer the right protection for the shifter foot, it can lead to troubles.

I have only been able to find a pair of Sidi's that are available in a wide width. Anyone know of any others?
thanx
+1 on the Bates and my bates I've had for a couple of years are goretex lined so they are waterproof. They are lace up and side zippers so you can get the laces the way you want then just on and off with the zips.

after I bought but before I wore outside I stood in them in the bathtub with water up about 3/4 to the top....water proof, no leaks after standing there for almost 10 minutes.

I found mine at a local (KC area) boot store for about $100 iirc.

thanx
just noticed you are from Columbia. I got my Bates at Chuck's Boots in Lee's Summit, MO. Not sure if you are interested in a road trip up this way for boots but you could give them a call and ask about their stock. They also have a leather section for jackets, chaps, etc. and lots of cruiser type mc boots.