Wax question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the faster Gen II FJR's in the 2008 or 2009 black model, then Turtle Wax Black Box is the way to go. It's a pain in the ass to clean your hands and cloths after using, but it absolutely will not leave white residue on anything!

blackbox.jpg

I wax mine. Just waxed it this weekend in fact. "Better to ride than wax..." I get it. Better to wax than do nothing bike-related when it's 31 degrees and snowing sideways, as it was here on Saturday. I wax the windscreen, headlights and sidecases as well, and my helmets. This time I used Meguiar's NXT and the bike feels like glass.

A waxed bike washes up way better, bugs, tar, bird crap/guts etc. come off the paint a lot better, and all that crap left on long term can damage paint. Also, no better way than to give your bike a thorough inspection to make sure everything's still on the way it should be...

I wax mine. Just waxed it this weekend in fact. "Better to ride than wax..." I get it. Better to wax than do nothing bike-related when it's 31 degrees and snowing sideways, as it was here on Saturday. I wax the windscreen, headlights and sidecases as well, and my helmets. This time I used Meguiar's NXT and the bike feels like glass.
A waxed bike washes up way better, bugs, tar, bird crap/guts etc. come off the paint a lot better, and all that crap left on long term can damage paint. Also, no better way than to give your bike a thorough inspection to make sure everything's still on the way it should be...
+1

I've been using McGuire's Gold Class....talk about slick. I live on gravel roads in the country. (Bugs, birds, and dust.) Usually one application lasts 2 weeks. Just hose off and dry. Touch up with the ol Honda Spray cleaner and polish. (Not sold by that name anymore..can't remember the name right now, but go to most any bike shop, call it the Honda spray and they'll direct you.)

For no white film ever........google "Captain Richards Best"...........and I have used WD40 to freshen up some plastic on the KLR.........you can wax your bike in minutes with the Captains stuff........goes on clear.......

LG

Thought wax was for chains ? Anyway, whenever overspray from my friends cleaning with ICE got on my black parts it wiped right off without leaving any white residue on the black finished parts.

Ahhhhh! I feel very comfortable on this thread! These are my kind of people! :clapping:

Except Howie's Gay Trophy Post! :unsure: That is wrong on Sooooo Many Levels! :eek:

And SouthernCruizer's Picture!! DUDE?!?!? :no2: :nono:

I shall wear it with pride! :yahoo: Haven't ever won anything and it is not even Friday. Even managed to get my thread moved to Parts and Accessories though I am not sure how a question about getting wax off is either a part or accessory but hey its like winning twice in one post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh! I feel very comfortable on this thread! These are my kind of people! :clapping:
Except Howie's Gay Trophy Post! :unsure: That is wrong on Sooooo Many Levels! :eek:

So with those out of the way, who was it you meant by "my kind of people?" :bleh:

So with those out of the way, who was it you meant by "my kind of people?" :bleh:
PEOPLE WHO LIKE CLEAN AND SHINEY BIKES!!! :yahoo:

Get your mind out of the gutter Walter! :rolleyes:

I'm a detail freak....I admit it.
Tell your "friend" to try "Back to Black" from McGuire's. Also, another secret I have for detailing is "No Touch" tire foam that can be had from Costco for a great price. It will also work very well when applied to a toothbrush and then those wax coated nooks and crannys. After washing, I spray the stuff on all the black plastic bits, engine, hoses, radiator, just not on the painted plastic finishes and definitely NOT the tires. Let it sit for a while then wipe down with a soft towel. When you spray it in the recesses of the engine and bottom end, it melts the dirt right off. McGuiar's Carnuba is what I use on the painted surfaces.
+1 Meguiar's. Love the stuff. If you want to "do it right" then here's the program.

- Wash bike with either Gold Class wash or Nxt Generation wash. Use warm water and a very soft cotton hand towel or old cotton tee shirt.

- Paint should dry before next step. Either air dry or wipe off with old cotton tee shirts.

- Park bike in shaded spot. Let paint cool if you washed it in direct sunlight.

- Use Scratch X on fairings and plastic - removes old wax, scratches, grime, water spots, swirls, etc.

- Use Show Car Glaze to polish fairings and plastic.

- Then finally use Nxt Generation Tech Wax 2.0 over fairings and plastic.

This process should last on the bike 6-10 months. It will make your paint radiate in the sun. Chicks will dig it. Guys will be envious.

After you do this then each time you wash use Gold Class/Nxt Gen car washes so you don't easily remove the wax. Then follow up with the spray Ultimate Quik Wax to spivvy up the shine. It will look as if you just did all of the steps above.

It doesn't take but a few hours and is well worth it.

Honestly, I switched away from waxes to the polymer-based sealants about five yers ago, haven't looked back. My current favorite is Ultima - man, what a time saver, and the results are fantastic. Check out this pics - they're all reflections of my '98 Passat - not bad for 12 years old!

IMG_6006.JPG

and

IMG_6010.JPG

The best part? No white residue...

-Sharif