Wee strom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg 03

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a 650 Vstrom to my stable but haven't decided new or used yet. If Yamaha had something similar I'd move that to the top but they just don't seem to want to play in that market. Anybody out there past present or future owners have any input for me?

Thinking about adding a 650 Vstrom to my stable but haven't decided new or used yet. If Yamaha had something similar I'd move that to the top but they just don't seem to want to play in that market. Anybody out there past present or future owners have any input for me?
the Wee is the 2nd best bike i've owned, just a tick behind the FJR. Great riding position, strong engine for a 650cc, just plain fun to ride. I'd highly recommend you try a test ride.

Do it!

Light [relatively] weight, comfortable, sweet engine...plenty of aftermarket support. You can't go wrong!

--G

I'm fortunate that I have a a friend and an acquaintance that both have wee stroms. I've ridden the one guy's down in Arkansas shortly after he got it and really liked it. I'm leaning towards trying to find a good deal on a new 2012 or later but if I found a mostly untouched used one that might work. Part of the fun of owning a bike is tricking it out the way you want!

Oh and I've also ridden a Versys and a NC700X and both paled in comparison to the strom. I owned two KLR 250's and two KLR 650's and going back to a thumper is not an option for me.

What do you want to do with the Wee? I put 80k on a DL 1000 before I sold it. Now I just ride the FJR.

Riding the Strom on a gravel road is like riding 15% out of control 100% of the time. I road a few gravel roads and it was simply a matter when my time was gonna come and I got tired of that. I would like something that was more off road worthy next time if I choose to go dual sport again.

Bottom line the Strom is a street bike with a 19" front hoop with lots of hardware on the bottom side subject to damage on anything considered a 4x4 road.

Have owned two 650's and one 1000 strom, very experienced.

Have done most mods and feel they're a great option for many.

Interesting thread. I have also been looking at Wee-Stroms.

Already have a Super Tenere, but thought that a smaller bike would much easier to drag around.

Looking at the purpose-made off-road bikes......and the seat would kill me. I'm thinking the Wee is much better in this respect.

Try a set of Continental TKC80' s on your Wee. They make them in 19's. Made a huge difference in gravel on my KLR650.

Trade off is tire mileage. I get 4K out of a rear on my KLR, mostly street miles.

I'm running Full Bore USA tires on my big boy Vee (aka the Man-strom). Looks like I'll get ~ 5k out of the rear, which isn't too bad. Much more from the front.

The Full Bore tread is a clone of (and the tires are made at the same factory as) the Korean Shinko 705's , but they appear from most accounts to be a tad deeper in tread, which works well on the unpaved roads. The price of the Full Bores (or 705's) makes them a no-brainer compared to the higher bux TKCs or Heidies (not yet mentioned).

I have no problem blasting down the gravel and dirt roads of the northeast on a V-strom. Your experience (and ability) may vary.

Well one of the three shops I asked has responded and they have three different wee's in stock. Not a word from the other two, they must just be too wealthy to care. Now for the part I hate... Hopefully I get a pretty decent offer!

I don't even see them on the showrooms here.

Hate to ask them to order one. Seems like they don't give much of a discount when you do that.

Oh, I was thrown off by your statement "Hopefully I get a pretty decent offer!" I thought that meant you needed a good offer on a trade-in. You just are looking for a decent price.

It is always a losing deal buying any new vehicle. The instant depreciation is a killer for anyone interested in the economics of the purchase. I generally buy lightly used, low mileage vehicles for that reason. Let some other poor slob absorb that initial depreciation. I also do not trade-in, and sell off my old vehicles myself. Yeah I'm a cheap bastid.

Have always liked the 650 wee strom and have ridden one on a trip. Never owned one but would like to. Don't see it as an adventure bike though.

As an adventure bike, the cast wheels are not very strong and the front wheel is only 19". The suspension components are not strong enough for any serious dual-sport adventure either. Oil filter and other stuff on the bottom are extremely vulnerable, although there are good skid plates available.

IMHO it's easier to go with a Triumph 800 EXC than build up a wee strom if you want an adventure bike.