Went for a test ride today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodog

Reaction score
Stopped in at a Yamaha dealer who had a '10 with 500 miles on it. Took it for a spin. Here are my observations (coming from a Harley rider). The windscreen did better than I expected and thousands of times better than the HD I have. The footpegs weren't as uncomfortable as i expected them to be :) They were better with the seat in the high position but I could touch the ground much better in the low position. The main complaint I have is the bars/grips. The bike position puts a lot of pressure on my hands and wrists, lots more than I'm used to with the HD which primarily pulls thru the wrist rather than compressing it. The grips were small in diameter and very hard. It seems to me, after only a short test ride, that my hands will hurt if I ride much. The dealer suggested that larger softer grips would solve this issue. So my question -- how do people solve this issue? Any particular grips that help on the pressure?

I won't be trading with him. He really wanted to steal my bike.

Several things here:

1) Any new bike/position takes a bit of time to 'adjust' to. Some never do, but that is the minority. Chances are great you will adapt to the bike.

2) Sounds like 'bar risers' would be an excellent idea for you. There are several options out there. Heli makes some good ones (as do others)

3) Google 'Master Yoda Riding Position' and read that in-depth article several times. Basically, sitting on the FJR or similar bikes with correct posture and using your abs/back to support your weight will relieve the pressure on your wrists and shoulders. (BTW - of these four points, THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR COMFORT)

4) At freeway speeds with the windscreen down, I find that the wind hitting me actually pushes me back a bit relieving pressure on the wrists. (But not like my Harley without a windshield where I got fatigued from 'hanging on' to the grips with the wind trying to blow me off.

Most of us (but it ain't 100%) that have ridden Harley's before actually find the FJR more comfortable as now some of our weight is being supported by our feet which are now below us. Not all the weight is concentrated soley on the tailbone which gets to be not-so-fun after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to learn to ride supporting yourself with your back and take the load off your wrists. It takes some getting used to but once learned you will be fine. I prefer larger grips myself and use the foam grip covers.

It's already been pointed out, but don't rest on your hands. You support you upper body with your legs, actually, by leaning slightly forward at the hips, not rolling your back forward. Keep your back straight, even though you're not upright.

I rode my son's cruiser around the block a bit when I last visited him, and found it to be the most undercomfortable punishment I've ever had to endure. The bars were miles away, and I had to stretch to reach both the foot controls and the grips, putting a horrible bend in my back. I don't see how he could ride it, because I'm eight inches taller then he is.

Master Yoda is the shizzle on bikes like ours.

And gee, I've never heard of a Harley owner that wasn't offended by offers on his bike. . . . You guys think those things are made of gold or something, dontcha? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Several things here:

1) Any new bike/position takes a bit of time to 'adjust' to. Some never do, but that is the minority. Chances are great you will adapt to the bike. +1

2) Sounds like 'bar risers' would be an excellent idea for you. There are several options out there. Heli makes some good ones (as do others) +1

3) Google 'Master Yoda Riding Position' and read that in-depth article several times. Basically, sitting on the FJR or similar bikes with correct posture and using your abs/back to support your weight will relieve the pressure on your wrists and shoulders. (BTW - of these four points, THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR COMFORT) +1

4) At freeway speeds with the windscreen down, I find that the wind hitting me actually pushes me back a bit relieving pressure on the wrists. (But not like my Harley without a windshield where I got fatigued from 'hanging on' to the grips with the wind trying to blow me off. +1

Along with Grip Puppies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQZiwZKt2NQ

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Several things here:

1) Any new bike/position takes a bit of time to 'adjust' to. Some never do, but that is the minority. Chances are great you will adapt to the bike.

2) Sounds like 'bar risers' would be an excellent idea for you. There are several options out there. Heli makes some good ones (as do others)

3) Google 'Master Yoda Riding Position' and read that in-depth article several times. Basically, sitting on the FJR or similar bikes with correct posture and using your abs/back to support your weight will relieve the pressure on your wrists and shoulders. (BTW - of these four points, THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR COMFORT)

4) At freeway speeds with the windscreen down, I find that the wind hitting me actually pushes me back a bit relieving pressure on the wrists. (But not like my Harley without a windshield where I got fatigued from 'hanging on' to the grips with the wind trying to blow me off.

Most of us (but it ain't 100%) that have ridden Harley's before actually find the FJR more comfortable as now some of our weight is being supported by our feet which are now below us. Not all the weight is concentrated soley on the tailbone which gets to be not-so-fun after a while.
Darn It!

As much as I don't like to agree SkooterG, this time I do!

Unlike Skooter, I still have a 91 UltraClassic, with many more miles than most FJR peeps on this forum, slam intended, and YES, it takes a day or two to adjust between the two bikes.

Skooter's advice is spot-on.. give it a try and you will find, IMHO, that the Master Yoda position is better for the long run, even for us Candy Butt Association riders..

After trading in my Vulcan and riding off with my new FJR, I thought the same thing; "man, these handle bars are thin and hard!" I also had quite a bit of palm pain when I got it home even though it was just a 2 mile ride. It's amazing how quickly you learn the right posture to relieve the palm pain by not leaning on your hands and it you quickly get used to the thinness of the grips compared to the thicker grips on cruisers. I'm now very comfortable on my FJR. At times I find myself leaning on my hands and I have to keep correcting that. When applying the brakes and coming to a stop, I notice if I just squeeze my knees against the tank, I have zero pressure on my hands.

Heli-Bar triple clamp and risers will bring the bars back 1.5" with two positions to choose from and the risers if your choose to use them along with the triple clamp will raise them an additional 3/4", you'll think your on a gold wing until your start riding, :rolleyes: then you'll notice a large difference :yahoo: