West Virginia - July

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at WV-311 from I-64 (east of Lewisburg) through Paint Bank down to New Castle. Very nice stretch of road - I can not remember the name of that mountain, but it's one heck of a view and ride.
A couple of us hit that early one year and rounded a corner into snow covered road. That was a hair couple of miles... No snow in July, just great road.
That would be Potts mountain and yes a fine road. If you are in the area The Swinging Bridge store and restaurant is a nice stop too. If you head just a short way out 600 from there you can see the buffalo herd.

That's it, Potts Mtn - Jim would kick me in the nutz for forgetting the name...

Good Breakfast place in Paint Bank, lunch and dinner I would imagine as well.

Ah Paint Bank.. you pull up to the gas station/general store and walk to the back and your in the this restauarant that DOESN'T BELONG THERE.

Cool.

Ah Paint Bank.. you pull up to the gas station/general store and walk to the back and your in the this restauarant that DOESN'T BELONG THERE.
Cool.
Yes. It's sort of like a secret but some Canadians know about it. Actually, the restaurant attracts riders from all over because it's a small place in the middle of nowhere.

Now, let's get back to WV.

One of my favorites is Doe Hill Rd. (VA 654) starting at the Stonewall grocery outside of McDowell, VA, on Rt. 250, running north about 30 miles to Brandywine, WV. Also, Snowy Mountain Rd., from Cherry Grove on Rt. 28 to Rt. 220 just north of Monterey, VA (great view at the top). Rt. 28 is also nice from Judy Gap on 33 down to 39 at Huntersville, passes through the Monongahela Forest and some scenic farm country. If you ride in Highland County, VA, keep an eye out for chip sealing; they do a good bit there, especially in the spring. Also some good riding north in the Canaan Valley (32 north from Harman to Davis, 93 and 42 to Mt. Storm). The new Rt. 55 from Wardensville to Moorefield isn't challenging riding, but has some great views of some beautiful mountain country. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable ride.

Old Clarke inn is very nice. We stayed there for the fall colours tour. Lot's of great riding from there.

Canadian FJR,

Go back on this website to the 2007 EOM topic and check out the rides and ride info there. It contains a wealth of info with 5 different rides with the maps, turn by turn directions, and GPS files in a couple of formats. Here is the URL where this info can be found. Thank all the folks that made the 2007 EOM the great success that it was and the rides certainly contributed.

My favorite among the rides is the West Central VA Ramble. One great 280 mile ride: Blue ridge parkway with food at PEAKS OF OTTER, Paint Bank VA for fuel and breakfast or lunch. There are roads up and down mountains and down along the rivers and creeks.

My only caution is to watch for gravel on the road thrown up by 4 wheeled vehicles on right hand turns. And watch out for deer at all times, but esp. in the mornings.

Have a great time.

Slardy

Bob, seriously, what's with the font?

Getting in touch with your feminine side or what??

( Sigh )

Bob, seriously, what's with the font?Getting in touch with your feminine side or what??

( Sigh )
He's been in a funk ever since the Pat-sees lost in the playoffs.

C'mon Bob, shake it off!
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/****.gif Hey wheetie. No funk here. They came in third ahead of 30 other teams. Still not a bad season.

I'm from Cincinnati and I ride W. Va ALL the time. North, South..doesn't matter. Just stay in the mountains and National Forests and you'll love pretty much every road you're on. When doing overnights...whether it be one, two or more, I look for State Resort Parks. They are generally in nice parts of the State, and usually have cabins. Book ahead online. Same (and then some!!) can be said for Ky!

Insofar as W. Va, up North near the Maryland point (and Elkins!!) is Blackwater Falls State Resort Park. I very seldom go to W. Va without staying there in a cabin (or lodge) for at least one night, and the roads around it are a nice variety of twistys and sweepers. Start North and work your way down in the mountains and Forests. I'm not much on stopping for pictures, views, etc. I'm there to ride!! Cass is pretty cool, as well as the telescope, but I typically just breeze through them.

Virginia is a different animal, where it has wide valleys and a lot of straightaways, but great riding nonetheless!!

East and Southeast Kentucky in the Daniel Boone National Forest are rides you'll never forget as well! Breaks Interstate Park at the Ky/Va border is a must to stay at, and you can go anywhere from there! Check it out!!

OK, I'm rambling because I get excited when I just think about it!

Here we are 2 days into Spring and the high is 35 here in Cincy! Will it ever end??

Pocahontas County. Best roads we've riden on. Google Pocahontas County motorcycle and the visitors beauro will pop up with maps ect.

Pocahontas County is good... if you're looking for "technical" type roads, the southern part of the state has the best concentration of those types of road IMO. Ahh yes... the coal fields of WV! I so miss you... BTW, look out for the coal trucks during the week.