Westside Motorsports, Spokane, WA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an '06 and they are all included in the recall. Took mine to Greater Yamaha in West Palm Beach, FL and they returned the bike with 2 new keys!
I told them that the recall did not have to change the key. They said that was true but they decided to give me a new "FREE" key mechanism!
What exactly does that mean?

They changed out your old cylinder (so you would have the same key as usual) and gave you the new cylinder and two keys (that came with the recall kit) that they usually throw away?
They put in a brand new tumbler! and 2 new igntion keys came with it! So now everything is new on it, except the housing of course.

I called Westside Motorsports In Spokane ,WA today with the Yamaha recall notice (ignition switch) in my hand and was told my Mike in the service dept.That my 2006 a model was not part of the recall and just keep riding. I then called Valley Yamaha and was told that all FJR's 06-08 were part of the recall and that I was the 5th person that was told by Westside not to worry about it.

I have a real concern that there are ignorant or illiterate service managers telling customers bad information!!
Is there any posting assistance I can provide?

They put in a brand new tumbler! and 2 new igntion keys came with it! So now everything is new on it, except the housing of course.
OK so both of us understand.

Does the "new" ignition key open the tank lock and saddlebags? :unsure:

Have you read the service bulletin Clicky

If so, you must realize what should have been done (unless you specified otherwise when forking over that Andy Jackson).

Also, no matter what they did, the housing (should be) new.

If the "new" key doesn't fit the tank and bags then they just swapped old for new. This has been reported before (hence the link to the bulletin)

majic~

I'm happy that you're happy with the completely new lock cylinder and 2 new keys. I'm sure everyone here joins me.

The reason for the request for clarification by Capt. Bob was that many (most?) of us would prefer to have our original cylinder retained so that the one key will continue to function for not only the ignition, but for the side cases as well.

The dealer's apparent magnanimity with the "all new" cylinder assembly is actually just a way to save the labor of changing out the original assy from your bike as is directed in the text of the Recall Notice from Yamaha.

Either way will work, but I prefer the one key approach. Hell, I have enough trouble keeping track of the single one needed now! :huh:

Ride Safe and enjoy

Don

+10......the retainment of the original tumbler in the new switch is probably the most time consuming part of the swap....thus some dealer's don't want to go the the trouble because as mentioned, they are only alloted 1.0 hours pay from Yamaha for the job. One key.....one bike....PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
+10......the retainment of the original tumbler in the new switch is probably the most time consuming part of the swap....thus some dealer's don't want to go the the trouble because as mentioned, they are only alloted 1.0 hours pay from Yamaha for the job. One key.....one bike....PM. <>< :rolleyes:
You may be right PM but the tech can get a little sloppy drilling out the security bolts on the old switch cause he's pitchin' it anyway but...

With the new switch, the bolts are loose (for easy tumbler removal). I wonder if he even tightened MM's down . :unsure:

In any case, The dealer got reimbursed for the switch, 1.0 hr work and a twenty dollar tip for not followin' the service bulletin.

Life is good.... for the Dealer. B)

Last edited by a moderator: