Wet gear. Warmer weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyWiz

Reaction score
I got caught in a storm for the first time in a very long time. I was VERY under geared. I wasn't expecting weather as bad as it was. I checked before I left for work and it should have been dry.

I had a tourmaster transition2 that kept my top dry but I was very warm. I had on perf gloves, jeans, and running shoes. Soaked other than the jacket of course!

Temp was around 72. I usually wear mesh above 70 degrees. I run hot.

What gear do you all like? Wet weather 60-75 degrees?

Gloves

Pants

Boots

Jackets

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I kind of expect to get wet when I ride in the rain. In many cases, wet can be good. Just sayin,' WBill

I got caught in a storm for the first time in a very long time. I was VERY under geared. I wasn't expecting weather as bad as it was. I checked before I left for work and it should have been dry.

I had a tourmaster transition2 that kept my top dry but I was very warm. I had on perf gloves, jeans, and running shoes. Soaked other than the jacket of course!

Gloves

Pants

Boots

Jackets
well, huh, I have cold weather gear and warm weather gear...I don't know when I make the transition temps wise...probably 65...problem with my riding is I am a Patriotguard local leader...

It's interesting when I leave the house at 4am to ride 200mi for a funeral at 8am somewhere north of me. That's what liners and double liners are for and layers are for.

So, I can't afford Cycleport or Aerostich, so my biggest bang for the buck is Tourmaster.

Summer:

TM Sonora Mesh Jacket, High Viz...has rain resistant liner

TM Venture Air Mesh Pants...mesh and never wear the liner

SIDI Air Champion boots...vented, not waterproof

First Gear Sport mesh gloves

Winter:

Tour Master Caliber Pants

Tour Master Epic Textile Jacket - Hi-Visibility Yellow,

Sidi Way Rain Boots

Tour Master Winter Elite Gloves (rain guards built in and pull out a zipper compartment when needed: very cool)

I have a sweat shirt for a layer, baclava (hood), silk glove liners, wool hunting sox, motocross calf sox,

always ride with long sleeves

my fav supplier is newenough.com which is officially now motorcyclegear.com

THanks!

Though in my search I am finding waterproof gloves are also heavily insulated or vented like the TM DriMesh.

I really don't plan to do much riding south of 50 degrees.

Hmmm. I kind of expect to get wet when I ride in the rain. In many cases, wet can be good. Just sayin,' WBill
Yer all wet anyways Bill.. :blum:

Kenny you live in Michigan.. It can be 80 at 7 A.M. and raining and 65 an hour later.. BTDT recently.

Well ... there's "what I like" vs. "what I use".

I use an Aerostich. It's hot in the summer but as long as I'm moving, wearing compression gear, and not going where I need to be sweat-free, I don't care. Sweat hasn't killed me yet.

On these recent how days, however, I would like mesh gear.

But I have used mesh in the past. Stopping to put in liners when it is either raining (or threatening to do so) is a PITA, and I won't carry two suits on long trips. Not to mention that mesh+liner means no venting for temp adjustment while riding. It's either "liner in" or "liner out".

I suppose it would be simple to have meash jacket+pants and then use rain gear over the top. Much easier than putting in liners.

Gloves

Pants

Boots

Jackets
Lobster over gloves work well. I bought some from Cycle Gear for $10. They are not breathable etc, but it cools down pretty quick in the rain. I carry a patagonia rain jacket and pants (10 years old) on the bike and these work great. Boots are waterproof so no worries.

Yep, a decent rain jacket and pants go right over the top of my summer jacket and pants. I can be ready to go in just a few seconds with the rain coming. I pull the liners of any new "summer" jacket and just normally hang them up somewhere. I think my WP summer gloves are from ROADGEAR. Check them out.

I wear mesh as well and keep the water resistant liners in my bags just in case. Things that are water resistant are also wind resistant, so they trap in the humidity. I don't know of anything that will keep you cool and dry in the rain although GoreTex seems to work best.

I carry a set of Frog Toggs that are large enough to go over my gear. They go on quickly and are reasonably light. They block the rain, so they also block the breeze, but are not nearly as hot as rubber or plastic rain gear. Frog Toggs have to be big enough that they are baggy and do not stretch the fabric or seams when you are seated or they will leak.

Regarding gloves, I have found that summer gloves don't keep your hands dry, but do dry out pretty quickly once the rain stops. If it's warm out, what's the big deal about having wet hands? If you do need to keep your hands dry then a pair of rubber gloves big enough to fit over your riding gloves will do the tick.

I carry a set of Frog Toggs that are large enough to go over my gear. They go on quickly and are reasonably light. They block the rain, so they also block the breeze, but are not nearly as hot as rubber or plastic rain gear. Frog Toggs have to be big enough that they are baggy and do not stretch the fabric or seams when you are seated or they will leak.
+1 on the Toggs. They also act as an additional layer for warmth as well

Willie

I wear Olympia AirGlide jacket and pants year round. FrogToggs Road Toads (hi-viz) is the latest and have improved seams and zippers. They are light and breathe so you don't get hot and sweaty in the rain. Block wind in the cooler stuff too. If it's really cold, I will add heated liners (Warm & Safe, also breathe), and maybe the Olympia liners if 40 or below. This way I have all season protection, and don't have to carry a ton of gear, and it totally convertible for any type of weather.

Gloves, to keep wind and water off, I use Rain-Offs from Australia, ugly rubbery two fingered things with long gauntlets and elastic pull cords. Grip well, don't get the Aerostitch brand..... slippy.