What a Phucking Mortorcycle ! 14 R1200 GSA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to only own one bike, I’d probably opt for a GS1200.

Luckily I can own several. I have the FJR for touring, the KTM 1190R for adventure, and the Husky for single track. I’ve been tempted to trade the FJR and KTM in on a GS1200 but low trade in value, perceived costly BMW maintenance, and love of the current bikes stopped me.

That said, at my current rate of 2k miles a year on all bikes, I probably should pare down to one GS

OK, it's anecdotal I know, but at my last rider course there were around a dozen bikes - a handful of Japanese, a couple of KTMs, a Triumph, a guy on an H-D he'd bought earlier in the week, and a 70s Ducati - and the BMW was the only one to not even start the training. After the debrief he couldn't get it going and the poor guy, who'd ridden across the county at ungodly hours to be there, was last seen disappearing in a breakdown truck.

Having said that, all three trainers had BMWs. It was also my first sit on a GS: I'm 6'2" and it felt like a LOT of bike. Its owner was probably 5'6" and looked like my four year old daughter does wearing her mum's shoes.

Nice little ride through my Black Hills. Learned what I already new, TKC 70s are not good mud tires, the Galena road was quite muddy, I got through the first section but could see across the stream Ford that there was a lot of slick mud going up the hill. Prudence overcame valor, though it did hurt to watch a CRF 250L and a Yamaha TT225 properly equipped with knobbies Ford the stream and disappear up the muddy track. I did find a gravel road around that section and sailed by them once on my favorite road, Vanocker Canyon to Nemo. Achieved my objective, came home with an empty tank in preparation for lifting it to do some farkle wiring next week while the snow is on the ground here. The GSA is quite comfortable on the highway too, I think it has better wind protection than my FJR did and the stock windshield makes my Shoei Neotec quieter than the FJR did too. The GSA is easy to ride fast in the twisties, achieving what i came to call FJR nominal velocities (double the yellow sign speeds) with the aforementioned TKC 70s. Beginning to trust the GSA, really liking it so far.

and here is what a GS can do on a track with the right butt in the seat ... and the Harley guy can ride as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq-4jrXmnWU&t=172s
NOT THIS BUTT, and you are correct, the Harley Rider can shuffle that Dyna right along.

Talented bunch of riders...
dribble.gif

~G