What are your best ways to improve visibility?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the HIDs. I also added a set of Clearwater fork LED's. The HIDs make a noticabe difference in the way the cages react...you can actually "see" them see you. The LEDs are brighter then shit and it doesnt hurt that I have them pointed up at eyeball level. The cool thing about them is that they dim with a little switch so when I ride at night, I can tone them down a bit.

led6.jpg

+1 on Hi-Viz. A vest or jacket, and helmet if possible. In 2006 NZ did a study and the most important factor to accident avoidance ( way better than any crash ) was Hi-Viz equipment.
I have it from a friend in the insurance industry that, statistically -- in the U.S., passive safety (at least for motorcycles) doesn't have a great track-record.

Having said that..., the Germans did a study on visible colors a long time ago and 2 colors really stood out -- 1st was chrome yellow (like hi-viz) followed closely by white.
I think the Insurance industry is the one with the questionable track record, especially when it comes to use of statistics.

Jus' saying...
Since I am seldom the lead rider, I depend on my husband to provide the forward visibilty on country and mountain roads (which is we tend to ride.) He rides a Harley chromemobile that is almost blinding when the sun hits it on the front. Running all 5 front lights at all times, he is highly visible from the front, but he insists on wearing a gray jacket and is nearly invisible from the rear in mottled or dim light. I am riding right behind him and find it hard to see him in many conditions. OTH, when riding with my brother, he wears a high viz jacket and is usually two or three riders in front of me and really stands out. I find it easier for me to ride when I follow someone wearing a high viz jacket.

I wear an Olympia high viz jacket and am told it really stands out from all angles. I previously wore a high viz vest, but that did nothing for front or side visibility --with a jacket, the yellow arms show up beyond the windscreen and mirrors. My husband reports that it is easier for him to spot where I am when we get separated by traffic on the freeway, or can't pass at the same time. This is good, because he becomes invisible to me in traffic. If I could, I'd force him to wear a high viz jacket--but being a Harley guy, he is very image conscious. Outlaws my ass! Fashion mavens is more like it.

My next helmet will be high viz if possible. If I could, I'd have a flashing beacon rotating around my helmet.

CG2