What canera to buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly Bye

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Go Pro Hero II and the Replay HD 1080.

Booth have good reviews on Webbikeworld.com. There are pros and cons on each of them.

If you have experience with either of these brands, please chime in.

Robert

Have experience with the Go Pro I ... which you can get some deals on now. Woot just had a one day sale of them for 125. Have some vids done with mine and honestly it's hard to justify paying more for what? is it that much better?

I'm skeptical obviously. They are all good cameras. I like having it, but don't use it much.

haha I'm obviously no help here :)

Get the GoPro. Then ride down here and show me how to use the one I got for Christmas before I go to the Alps in August.

God, I hate user manuals. . :angry2:
Brother, you are asking the wrong guy.

After installing the battery I'm lost.

Just looking for something simple that works well.

I have a ContourHD and like it due to it's more streamline profile over the GoPro. I use mine more on the dirt bike then on the FJR and the somewhat bulky profile of the GoPro is to easy to snag on branches and things out in the woods. I have seen people lose their GoPro camera at enduro & harescamble events so I rate this a fairly large concern against the GoPro.

I have also heard others complain that it is difficult to tell if the camera is setup properly by just looking at it as to which mode the camera is in. The ContourHD settings are very straight forward and there is just the one big slide switch to operate to put the camera into record.

I only wish I had the newer version with bluetooth so that I can use my iPhone as a monitor to check camera alignment.

https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7186&RetURL=search&search=keyword&SearchVal=go

HD_Hero2%20Motorsport%20Camera_Kit.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introducing The New HD Hero2 Video Camera

2X More Powerful in Every Way

HD Hero2 Video Camera

GoPro cameras are used by more motorsports professionals, race teams and core enthusiasts than any other camera in the world. The new HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition is the most advanced GoPro camera yet. Wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197 feet (60m), capable of capturing professional full 170º wide angle 1080p video and 11 megapixel photos at a rate of 10 photos per second, the HD HERO2 is the world’s most versatile camera. Whether your goal is to capture footage of a spirited rip through backcountry roads or you want to capture and study lapping footage to learn how to set a new track record, the HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition is going to be one of your favorite motorsports purchases of all time.

Included are mounting accessories you’re most likely to use during motorsports activities. Other accessories are available on our website.

The HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition is compatible with all GoPro expansion accessories and BacPacs, including the Wi-Fi BacPac and Wi-Fi Remote (coming soon).

GoPro Cameras on sale up to 25% off >>>

Go with the Contour Roam... 1 button on and off, your done and it has real good video. My gopro works good too, no question, but it's way to easy to not get just video, I mean thats why you bought it right? ..video. They should bury the settings for pictures and still frame shots deeper in the directory.

Dang guys, the go Pro is easy to start filming with... 2 separate buttons. Push the power one first. Then push the other one... you're filming...

Do agree it has an involved menu system, but to just start filming even I can do it! ;)

Not sure that this helps anyone in any way ;)

but this is a goPro Youtube vid I did in the nearby Mountains. It's a little more than 5 minutes long (watch for the R1 to fly by in the other direction at about 2:30). Quite a bit of editing to cut out the parts where the sun was so bright it made seeing the vid difficult.

it's fun to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
azitlies- what editing program did you use?
Rider, after some research settled on CyberLink Power Director.

My first criteria was that it had some stabilization capabilities, the 2nd was that it could have more than 1 audio track. Some of them don't! which would mean you could have the bike sound or music but not both!

power director gets great reviews and it's pretty easy to figure out...

Nice Vid too... is that recorded with the gopro or the new Hero?
That's the GoPro Hero I

The older version...

I guess that's my point, the older version is pretty good, it doesn't take much to make a nice vid. I kind of have to question how much better the new version can be? if you know what I mean...

This is a section of the same vid, end of the ride coming down the mountain. Better music though :)

(make sure you give truck boys a wide berth! lol)

leo Kottke 12 string slide guitar... No one rocks it like Leo :yahoo:

kind of boring towards the end sadly...

I also use Power Director and it works well for me also. The one issue I have is the time it takes to render a video and then transfer the file to YouTube. I'm using a ContourHD so I am working with MOV files. Once I have completed the editing process and start rendering the video it can take up to 8 hours to render a 9 minute video.

I have a 2Ghz dual core processor with 2GB of DD2 memory on my computer that has my video editing software.

I thinking this is extremely slow and am looking into upgrading my hardware but was wondering what rendering time other folks were achieving with their software & hardware.

I also use Power Director and it works well for me also. The one issue I have is the time it takes to render a video and then transfer the file to YouTube. I'm using a ContourHD so I am working with MOV files. Once I have completed the editing process and start rendering the video it can take up to 8 hours to render a 9 minute video.

I have a 2Ghz dual core processor with 2GB of DD2 memory on my computer that has my video editing software.

I thinking this is extremely slow and am looking into upgrading my hardware but was wondering what rendering time other folks were achieving with their software & hardware.
Hmmmm, it takes a while for rendering for me, but no where near 8 hrs, that's very excessive imho. Cyber Link was the only one in my research that comes in 64 bit, and supposedly it's the fastest of all of them.

my box is also a dual core but has 6GB memory and windows 64 bit (obviously). iirc my 5+ min vid took about an hour to an hour and a half to render. Just checked, my file size is only 356 meg for the 5.23 sec vid. It's in MP4 format. But the original MP4 from the goPro is 4 Gig or more. Sounds like your guess about MOV files slowing it down could be right?

Let me know if there's anything else I can check out.

Azitlies

Thank you for the videos and the editing information, great stuff.

Where and how did you mount the Go Pro?

Azitlies

Thank you for the videos and the editing information, great stuff.

Where and how did you mount the Go Pro?
I mount my camera down near my frame slider using a suction cup mount but I also have the camera tethered 'just in case'.

I try to have some of the lower fork and front wheel in the frame since I think that gives the best perspective for lean angles. IMHO the closer you can have the camera to the road the better. Unless you can obtain lean angles like Rossi mounting the camera up on the helmet or high on the bike doesn't do the twisties justice.

Here is an example of the camera mounted fairly low...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKYbnRqcfw

Unless you can obtain lean angles like Rossi mounting the camera up on the helmet or high on the bike doesn't do the twisties justice.
That`s a nice video Yamfitter and as i have been on that road quite a lot it is of special interest to me. Actually i only found it last year as i always rode Hwy141 but now 518 has quickly become a favorite. The camera in that low position does give a good result but even so what sort of pace do you run to get that sense of speed.

slo.