What did you ride pre-FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Before the FJR what did you ride

• Touring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sport Touring

• Cruiser

• Sport

• Dual Sport

• Dirt

• Total voters

airboss

Reaction score
I'm stuck in the cabin all weekend and the walls are closing in. I got rain,freezing rain, sheet, and posible snow all in one slow moving weather system. Not riding this weekend.

So I thought a poll might be kinda fun (yes I''m really bored).

I started riding way back when, Allstate moped $285 form Sears bought it with money from my paper route. after that a Bridgestone 90, then a Harley Scat 500( okay if you could keep an engine in it.), joined the Air Force got shipped to Japan, Woo Woo motorcycle heaven. spent the next 12 years (2 years service time rest as a civilan).

Always had at least one motorcycle in the garage. Hondas included a CB250 kited out to 305, CL175, CB100, Elisanore 250, CB350,. Suzuki Dirt bike a 250 Single, I don't know what model I put it together out of a basket.

After I came back to the States I went with out for a few years( life stuff) Then in 90, I got a deal on an almost new Kaw Vulcan 750, nice little curiser, rode that bike till there was nothing left, sold it in 2000 to a person with alot more skills than I, who resurrected it.

In 2005 got the bug again, I remembered how well the Vulcan and I got along so I got a New one, Then dirty dog at work made me ride his 03 FJR, resistance wa FEUDAL I had to have one, after much begging and pleading and bribery the better half agreed, and thats how i got my 06 FJR. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I started riding again owned quite a few bikes over the years - a VTX 1800 that put me off cruisers forever - Tiger, too tall for me - Bonneville bland and uninteresting - DL650 nice bike - Speed 4 great track day bike - Speed triple what a rip but the saddle sucked. MG V11 Cafe Sport a 'real" motorcycle 4 me. Burgman 650 great shopper and if you want it too it will take you anywhere albeit not too fast but it will do the ton no problem.

Of course 2 FJRs and 05 and an 06 AE my magic carpet machines.

`

What would a V-Max be considered?
Guess we need a hooligan category, Bandit owners will probably feel left out too :)
Since the late 60s(!) I started with a big displacement 180CC Yamaha, had many ringa-ding 2 stroker streets, a Nortons Commando, 1 three cyl, several UJMs, 2 Cafes, several V-4s by both Honda and Yamaha and a bunch of IL-4s in various chassis.

Previous Motorcyles YES.

I guess I should have included a curisers with attitude catagory for the V-Max and the Bandit, and also a curiser wannabe catagory for the Harleys. Sorry just didn't think it out. :rolleyes:

When I was hit three years ago by a powerful mid-life crisis, I approached my wife and said I needed to buy something fun that contains, BTW, and engine--i.e., a new and fun (not practical) vehicle. The initial thought was a sports car.

At the time of the crisis I had never in my life owned a Porsche or a motorcycle. But growing up in Palos Verdes (Southern Calif.) and the local beach towns of Hermosa, Manhattan, Torrance, and Redondo, I often drove by the Vasek Polak Porsche dealer on Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), and similarly came across the local Harley riders and dealers, noticing in particular and admiring the sleek, simple, chromy good looks of the Sportster.

So for me at the time of my crisis, if it was to be a sports car it had to be a Porsche, and if I were ever to buy a motorcycle, it had to be a Harley.

But when you look at Porsches, starting with the Boxer used, you're talking at least $25K. In my situation, that's too much money for something that seats two people when really I could use another practical family car.

So the thinking turned to motorcycles. Not only was I attracted to the Sportster, but the price was right too: $8K new. So in June 2003 I bought a 2003 Anniversary edition 883 Custom Sportster (later upgraded to 1200).

Like most Harley riders (I think), I originally got it as a weekend hobby. Then it turned out one of my new clients I'd have to commute to in the Bay Area was not on the BART (metro) line. With traffic so painful in the Bay Area, I reluctantly (because I thought it was dangerous) started commuting there on the Harley.

Well, the strangest thing happened: I morphed into a motorcyclist, and to this date have pretty much stopped driving a car anywhere (aided by two recent teenaged drivers in the house placing demands on available car resources).

Then after less than three years and 47,000 miles on the Sporty, I upgraded in April 2006 to the FJR in anticipation of going cross-country this June. I had already come to realize that Harley and HOG was not my tribe. And I envied the state-of-the-art design and performance of the machines my friends rode. In particular, I craved more horsepower when out on freeways with Saturns that could out-perform the Sportster.

The Sportster's still sitting in my garage, and I'll probably try to sell it in the spring. It's a good bike for what it is; it just ain't got much of comfort, performance, accessories, brakes, turning, acceleration...etc. But it sure is purty!

357202153_57e706b49b.jpg

Jb

I traded this 2003 V-Tech VFR in on my FJR.

03VFR.jpg

and before that this 89 ZX10

ZX10.jpg

Neither IMO were anything like as comfy as the FJR.

Richard

I came from this:

Suzi6.gif

Yeah, this FJR feels like a space ship compared to the Suz. Amazing what a 25 year leap in technoogy will do for ya.

I had this:

bike01.jpg

And I still have this:

00732.jpg

00733.jpg

And this:

burgie.jpg

came from a long list of Honda's exclusivley[ spelling], latest being a V65 sabre that I still have[ for sale], and a 2001 blackbird[ still one of the best bikes made]

We started on an old Virago -- nice looking bike but that riding position just killed my tailbone.

Moved on to a '98 Nighthawk, beautifully neutral seating and needed no aftermarket seat.

After that came the "99 Bandit 1200S - a GREAT bike which we were loath to sell.

Then the "keeper" -- '03 Red Sylvie. If we ever buy another bike, she will still be in the garage :) -- my eldest has dibs on her anyway!

In the absence of a standard/naked category, I polled in the "sport"

Started out with a Shadow 600 cruiser (talked the wife into it when gas hit $3/gallon and my car was getting 19mpg. Soon afterwards I had to make the pitch for the FJR (it's safer on the interstates, yadda, yadda, yadda....) To my surprise it worked, so now I have both.

I commute every single day (shadow if it's raining and FJR if it's nice out)...starting to get some pressure from the wife to sell the VLX but I'll take a beating on it since it now has 12k miles and its a starter bike.....might as well keep it and just ride it until it falls apart...only downside is, every minute I am on it, I cant be on the FJR.

Started out on the Honda Trail bikes as as kid, then went to Yamaha DT dirt / street bikes when in High School. Did a short stint with the KZ Kawasaki's and GS Suzukis of the late 70's before getting away from bikes for about 10 years.

Got back on in the late 80's with a clean used 84 Yamaha FJ1100, then a 93 CBR 900RR, a 98 R1, 01 CBR 929RE (Erion edition) which is still in the garage with 48K and now the 06 FJR.