What did you ride pre-FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Before the FJR what did you ride

• Touring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sport Touring

• Cruiser

• Sport

• Dual Sport

• Dirt

• Total voters
And I still have this:
00732.jpg
How do you like the Shadow? My brother just bought an '03 750.
I have the '06 Sabre 1100 and I truly do like the bike. Bordering on loving it, really. It's got wicked ground clearance letting me get into some seriously intense cornering before dragging things. It's got *excellent* low-end and mid-range power. The top end is a bit lacking, but hey... can't have everything from a 5k rpm v-twin :) The comort is nice, and considering it's got a single-disc up front, the thing stops VERY well. I can keep up with my sport bike friends pretty consistently when cornering and out beating the roads up on the weekends. No, it's not a sport bike and no, it won't win any races, but with a competent rider, this is a bike that can make you rethink what you think you know about cruisers.

It shares basically nothing but the name 'Shadow' with the 750s. Honda's marking is ass when it comes to their cruisers. They slap the "Shadow" name on everything that's remotely cruiser-ish, regardless. Even the VTX (backwards abortions of bikes) were originally going to debut as the "Shadow VTX" :rolleyes:

There are several distinct Shadow lines:

The Softtail style VLX 600 chain drive.

The dual shock single pin 750 chain drive.

The dual shock single pin 750 shaft drive

The dual shock twin pin 1100s shaft drive.

The dual shock single pin 1100s shaft drive.

And there are sub-varieties of each.

There is also a sub-naming convention that doesn't make sense. For instance, there's a 750 spirit and an 1100 spirit. They have *nothing* in common. Nothing at all, not even genre and intent. The 750 spirit is more akin to the 1100 Sabre in intent - minimalist hot rod styling, including bobbed fenders and drag bars, which even the 1100 doesn't have. The 110 spirit, however, is a 2-up bike with buckhorn bars and more road-bike oriented styling.

Heck, even the two (current) 1100 models are vastly different; same basic engine but with different secondary reduction gearing, the Sabre has rear disc brakes while the Spirit has rear drum. Both are shaft drive, but the Sabre has a rubber bushing-mounted engine while the Spirit (the 2-up road bike) has a stiff-mounted engine. :rolleyes:

I think Honda hit the crack pipe too hard when dealing with cruisers.

2004 I was driving Triumph Sprint ST 955i -04

bikepics-499382-full.jpg

2005 I was driving Triumph Sprint ST 1050 -05

bikepics-344080-800.jpg

2006 I was driving Yamaha FJR1300 -06

bikepics-570670-800.jpg

So I would guess I'm sport-touring guy, right?

1960 Savage mini bike with Briggs and Straton engine

1953 Matchless 500 (this was my dad's but it was the bike I learned to ride on)

1963 Yamaha Ascot Scramber

1962 HD Sportster xlch (this too was my dad's but I got lots of tickets on it)

196? Norton Manx with an Atlas engine

1972 Penton 125 MX (way too small)

1973 Maico 400 MX (that's better)

1979 Yamaha XS-1100

1985 Yamaha Venture (inherited it when my dad died)

2006 FJR AE (current)

1992 VMAX (current)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great thread, enjoyed all the pics,wish I had some. Started out with:

Assorted japanese minis and dirtbikes

"74 Penton hare scrambler 250 (gone)

"67 305 Dream (stored)

"72 Sportster HD (gone)

"60 R50 BMW (running)

"75 FLH HD (running)

"75 Commando (stored)

"78 Triumph tiger (running)

Just picked up a complete (basket) "48 HD knuckle (stored) for another old age project.

The FJR is my only modern bike .

Very nice 818Guy. Me likey. You sold it?

This poll only allowed me one choice. Had cruisers and dirt.

Me miss dirt. Looking for new dirt. Me keep Feej though.

69 450 Honda, 305 superhawk, 75 Honda 750, 7 years motorcyleess, 73 Maico 450, 83 CR 250, another 13 years motorcycless. Mid life crisis cure 03 SV650 sold sv for something more comfortable.......... 06 FJR first new bike in my life.
I started with a turkey turd yellow 1967 250 Honda Trail bike. It was a great bike! After I got my license I moved up to a 1968 650 BSA. It was a dog and my hands went numb when I road for any distance. Hit the front break one time in a dirt parking lot in front of a bunch of bikers to demonstrate my skill at spilling the bike. It was dependable and I have many fond memories of it. Later after college I moved up to a new 1977 1200 Harley Superglide. I did some my first cross country riding on it and I met my wife while on the bike. After kids and graduate school came along I had to "gear down" a bit due to finances and traded in the Harley for a 1972 Yamaha 250 Street racer. It was like riding a screaming vacuum cleaner. For a little bike it really ripped. However it was so light when I would hit the breaks, the tires would lock up and the bike would just keep on sliding down the road. A guy ran a stop sign once and as I hit the breaks the bike when right down on its side and I just slid over on top of the bike and road that bike sliding down the road across in front of the careless driver. Other than a few scratches on the bike we did OK. A few years ago I found an old 1978 750 CBK Honda and rebuilt it and got back into cross country riding. I decided that I really enjoyed the cross country riding again. I also wanted an "adult" bike; so I researched hard on what kind of bike to get. I came up with the 2005 FJR1300 ABS and gave the 750 to my nephew. I love this bike! This encompasses 41 years of riding.

The poll isn't giving the result I expected, I was sure most FJR oweners would be ex sport bike types given all the discussions on the board about handling and corner carving.

Heres a shot of my current stable.

HPIM0306.jpg

2004 Honda Accord - 4 x door! This is my first bike. Well, did have a Suzuki moped when I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay, but I'm trying to forget that.

Very nice 818Guy. Me likey. You sold it?
Thanks.

Yes, I sold her. One of those things... had it parked at a custom chopper dealership/shop and someone who saw it in the parking lot "made an offer I could not refuse." Literally sold her in about 20 minutes, had the money (ca$h) within 48 hours.

It funny how I did not take that many pictures of those Bikes

Well I use to ride a bike that looked like this even the extra add on, just not this one.

86virago1100limited.jpg

And then moved up to on that looked like this it was the black cherry color though

941400intruder.jpg

When I started riding again owned quite a few bikes over the years - a VTX 1800 that put me off cruisers forever - Tiger, too tall for me - Bonneville bland and uninteresting - DL650 nice bike - Speed 4 great track day bike - Speed triple what a rip but the saddle sucked. MG V11 Cafe Sport a 'real" motorcycle 4 me. Burgman 650 great shopper and if you want it too it will take you anywhere albeit not too fast but it will do the ton no problem.Of course 2 FJRs and 05 and an 06 AE my magic carpet machines.

`
Just what was wrong with the VTX1800? For a cruiser, there ain't any better! Got one sitting in my garage next to the FJR....I just never seem to ride it anymore. I wonder why?

My rides have been a Cushman scooter, Honda 305 cc. something circa 1962, Yamaha enduro 250, Kawasaki full dress touring bike, Honda VTX1800C, and my "Last Chance" 2006 FJR. :yahoo:

LC :clapping:

With a bit over 40% of the riders coming from a cruiser, it bodes well for the Sport Touring market (thinking about another thread).

? R6 BMW Earls Forks (Rode didn't own)

72 TX 500 Yamaha (comuting, playing 3 years)

? 250 DS Yamaha (Not Running, Fixed it played with it sold)

? RD 350 Yamaha (Track Bike)

76 900 Kawasaki (Great Deal Fixed it Up. Took it to the Track & had a rear flat. Tired of fixing bikes, to Brother in Law)

77 XJS 750 Yamaha

79 XS 1100 S Yam

05 FJR