What Digital Camera to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...as others have said, riding along in the rain and trying to take pictures while maneuvering my 600+ pound motorcycle at speed are things I'm probably not going to try simultaneously.
That is where Fred and I have an advantage, we usually have a fully automated camera system on-board. Our camera systems select all the best scenes with the ability to automatically choose right, left and front views and then selects the correct scene formatting without our having to intervene in the process. This leaves us free to ride and navigate while getting all the splendiferous memories preserved along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I saw a reference for the forum site Photo.net, a very good "general photography" forum site with sub-forums dedicated to nearly every brand. They also have a "Digital Camera" forum based mainly around compact cameras, click here- https://photo.net/digital-camera-forum/ They also have a travel forum, not heavily used, but this may be a research option as well via archive searching. https://photo.net/travel-photography-forum/ Another good site for compact cameras is https://www.seriouscompacts.com/

Another feature that I'll admit to knowing little about with compact cameras is whether there are models out there that permit for hyperfocal focus setting of the camera in a manual mode. This would permit setting the camera in a manner that everything at a certain aperture (f-stop) setting would be in focus between a few/several feet in front of the camera all the way to infinity. The benefit here is that the time needed for the camera to think about what it's seeing, react to it, and focus upon it is no longer necessary, the shutter simply activates, capturing the scene. The Panasonic Lumix LX-5 is said to have this feature as a user-friendly mode, but it's not a cheap camera, either. Essentially every camera does have a hyperfocal setting, the challenge is, does your camera allow for full manual use/set-up? (Can you manually set aperture, shutter, and even ISO, and if you shut off the camera do these setting revert back to some automatic setting instead of staying in the manual settings you previously chose?) DOFmaster.com (depth of field...) has a variety of downloadable hyperfocal chart tools, even for smart phones, to help you with hyperfocal settings. https://dofmaster.com/

...as others have said, riding along in the rain and trying to take pictures while maneuvering my 600+ pound motorcycle at speed are things I'm probably not going to try simultaneously.
That is where Fred and I have an advantage, we usually have a fully automated camera system on-board. Our camera systems select all the best scenes with the ability to automatically choose right, left and front views and then selects the correct scene formatting without our having to intervene in the process. This leaves us free to ride and navigate while getting all the splendiferous memories preserved along the way.
My fully automated camera system takes very poor photographs, and most splendiferous memories are replaced when said system bitches at me for not putting all my gear away immediately. "When are you going to clean off this counter?" "You think this is your place to pile up all your shit." "You know, I worked all day too." Blah Blah Blah. Memory erased.

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. I have one of these:

Canon-S90_front3.jpg_e_9d18ea7ac3a702db3650d353729d97e8.jpg

Holy shit, I think I have the exact same system!

Only mine takes some decent shots - and then bitches about my stuff in the spare bedroom.

My fully automated camera system takes very poor photographs, and most splendiferous memories are replaced when said system bitches at me for not putting all my gear away immediately. "When are you going to clean off this counter?" "You think this is your place to pile up all your shit." "You know, I worked all day too." Blah Blah Blah. Memory erased.

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. I have one of these:

Canon-S90_front3.jpg_e_9d18ea7ac3a702db3650d353729d97e8.jpg

I've been using a Canon A470 for the last couple of years. It's got perhaps 75,000km on it, maybe 3 or 4000 pics. I bought specifically to use on the bike. Uses regular 2 AA batteries that last forever, and, most importantly, wakes up from sleep mode in less than 1/3 of a second. So when your flying down the road and see something, chances are good you'll get a pic of it before your past it.

Now all that being said, on our the Three Amoeba's tour last Sept I forgot it. I remember to bring my big Canon (ehehe.. I said "My big Canon"). Once we were in Victoria, Aldo risked his life and his car to give me a ride to a Walmart with underground parking (REALLY? No Way?! I'd pay to watch the video's from the surveillance system there!) so that I could buy a replacement for the trip. Bought another low-end Canon and proceeded to snap away.

Imagine how pissed off I was when we pulled in for the night in Toas only to find that the battery door, and hence the batteries, had parted ways early in the day. Not like we saw anything major. Only the Grand F'n Canyon! across Monument Valley, and ended the day with Ship Rock (or whatever it was called) in an New Mexico sunset.

My A470 wouldn't have let me down. Guess I just have to go back huh?

Hmmm.... Do we really need water-proof-ness on a bike? How often will we want to take pictures in the rain?

Well besides during the annual Maine Chowder run that is. :rolleyes:

If one was to strike that off the list of "required features" it sure opens up a whole lot more possibilities and lowers the price of admission.
Yes, we find that waterproof is a necessity, if you do more than a CandyButt ride

31P5180092.jpg

25P5180075.jpg

I too have a similar system. Usually though, we both have a camera to capture the events. I've not seen it listed (may have missed it) but we both use a version of the Olympus "tough" series. I just bought a TG-610 and am swimming thru the manual right now. It's not very "user friendly" so far but, if it's anything like my wife's older model, it will take excellent pictures, is semi-affordable, has a big shutter button, and is indeed rain proof. It's also supposed to be shock proof to some extent.

Cliicky

I too have a similar system. Usually though, we both have a camera to capture the events. I've not seen it listed (may have missed it) but we both use a version of the Olympus "tough" series. I just bought a TG-610 and am swimming thru the manual right now. It's not very "user friendly" so far but, if it's anything like my wife's older model, it will take excellent pictures, is semi-affordable, has a big shutter button, and is indeed rain proof. It's also supposed to be shock proof to some extent.

Cliicky

manual? what's a manual?

So, I poured over the replies, which helped me decide against the expense of waterproofed-ness, and steered me into a Canon Powershot A series. I'd always had pretty good luck with my old Canon SLR film cameras, so that was an easy sell. But when I read the reviews of the current crop of A series cameras some of the "Cons" were in regard to the cameras operating speeds being slow, which is one of the "gotta haves" on a moving bike.

I ended up ordering us up one of the PowerShot A470's (which got such a glowing review from Bungie) for just $99 shipped from Amazon.com. We don't really need any more resolution than that for photos on the move, and the larger format of the camera body and fast response times should make it easier to use on the fly.

If Joann and I have anywhere near as good luck with it as Steve has, we'll be very happy campers. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much everyone for all of the shopping help. Hopefully this has been helpful to some others as well...

Olympus iTough for dust proof, waterproof up to 10 metres without an additional housing and takes HD video not bad at all....

P4090090.jpg

Bringing this one back to the top....

Just got back from a nice long ride multi- state ride.

We had some beautiful scenery and didn't have time to make a lot of stops to take pictures, too much ground to cover in the alloted time frame. this has made us come to the conclusion we are in need a rugged compact point and shoot.... the Pillon had a rough time trying to use her phone to grab pics, so here I am reviving Fred's Thread.....

I always bring the 35mm with but clearly can't just whip out that bad boy on the fly to snap an instant pics....

Any suggestions for a compact rugged P&S that can be used with gloved hands would be helpful from those members that have been through this hunt already... I don't mind spending a few buck on something decent.... doesn't need to be waterproof. Needs to fit in a pocket.

Thanks

WarpDrv G'day as a side note the pic I took of the old house with the big tree, well we went back last year to this spot and the big old Cyprus tree (Must be a couple of hundred years old) was struck by lightning and lucky fell to the right of the picture...man standing next to in on the ground the bloody tree is huge!!

I now use a FZ200 Lumix...great 4/3rds camera with HD video and a multitude of functions, set on auto or play at your hearts content! It really is a great camera for what it does and the price. A bloke on you-tube Graham Houghton (Pommie) has a great tutorial on it and others, he's even written his own book on it for free to download. There's a new model called the FZ 300 (or 330) which is the upgraded model which I will be getting without hesitation, 4K video and more improvements.

Quick snapping from a bike? Hmm...lots of small efficient cameras now days that can do the job but I'd rather stop and take my time...

The last few years the one I've found I use to take the most pictures - and fits in the breast pocket of my riding jacket - is the Sony DSC RX100. It records in RAW and JPEG and uses the Sony 1 inch sensor. Image quality, IMHO, is quite good and post processing the RAW files can yield some excellent photos.

I'm compelled to point out that Pentax is still around and has a wide selection of models. When looking at the DSL world, they have a plethora of lenses with a history of quality glass going back many decades that work with the current models. The used lens market is a cornucopia of goodness. As Sony (and other electronics companies) learned when they entered the market, electronics are the easy part of photography. Quality glass is where it's at.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras

FWIW, Wife and I each use an Olympus "tough" series point and shoot that works really well. Bought them for use on LD rallies based on recommendations of another rallier. Waterproof without an extra housing to 30 odd feet, shock resistant, pressure resistant, and freeze proof down to I think 14 degrees F. I've used mine mounted on a RAM ball on my left clutch perch to take photos while riding and even shoot some video.

The last few years the one I've found I use to take the most pictures - and fits in the breast pocket of my riding jacket - is the Sony DSC RX100. It records in RAW and JPEG and uses the Sony 1 inch sensor. Image quality, IMHO, is quite good and post processing the RAW files can yield some excellent photos.
Thanks lonerider, I was looking at various camera's in this realm..... I'll look harder at the RX100

I'm compelled to point out that Pentax is still around and has a wide selection of models. When looking at the DSL world, they have a plethora of lenses with a history of quality glass going back many decades that work with the current models. The used lens market is a cornucopia of goodness. As Sony (and other electronics companies) learned when they entered the market, electronics are the easy part of photography. Quality glass is where it's at.
https://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras
As stated I already have a nice Nikon DSLR with some great glass, just need something faster operating while moving which the woman can quickly pull out of a pocket and operate. When stopping, using the DSLR is usually the goto unit of choice.

FWIW, Wife and I each use an Olympus "tough" series point and shoot that works really well. Bought them for use on LD rallies based on recommendations of another rallier. Waterproof without an extra housing to 30 odd feet, shock resistant, pressure resistant, and freeze proof down to I think 14 degrees F. I've used mine mounted on a RAM ball on my left clutch perch to take photos while riding and even shoot some video.
Thanks Chuck, I'll add the tough units to the list of compact cameras....

Make sure you get a fine-pitch "density" resolution camera. "The size of the pixels matter" and, a feature most don't compare (or know anything about). So some camera's higher resolutions just mean a bigger image (size wise). Unless you want gigantic poster size images? (pretty worthless). So, most will want finer pixels for much better imagery within that pixel count.

It's a bit complex w photons attaching the actual image pixel, here is some in-depth reading if you really are perplexed.
wink.png

I have now ditched my Sony camera, as my new Galaxy S6 Edge+ now sports 4K imagery with a micro pixel-count/density that the past Sony couldn't have imagined. (gotta love this technology, best today, crap tomorrow!) lol.

I took this last week of Wine Guys Feej, it did get degraded somewhat by photobucket, but the depth is still premo considering.

20151010_181802_zpsaq2xyzuo.jpg

I should note, this is where the real $ come in. A finer pitch camera, also means the display (usually) matches. Both of these ingredients definitely make for better images, both are quite costly. I think you have to draw the line in the sand when purchasing these devices, and, decide when you want to really jump in?.... knowing that next Month, there will be even finer pixel and resolution count for even better images.

When is good enough really good enough?. I use to think taking 1080 sized images as good enough. Now when I display them on my 4K TV, they look grainy. Of course they give you (on your 4K purchase) an HDMI thumb drive to snap in and watch factory-demo 4K stills and video. Dang! 1080P "was" good enough, but all of a sudden it's not.

Food for thought!
smile.png

Another thing to look for in a camera that is to be used when the motorcycle is rolling is shutter lag. Shutter lag is the time from when you push the trigger button until the picture is taken. During the time between triggering the shutter and the picture being taken the camera must set the exposure and focus on the scene. Some digicams can take well over a second to do this. From a moving platform like a motorcycle this means that what you were seeing will have dramatically changed position or possibly even be out of frame by the time the shutter trips. Here in New England many things are close to the road and slow shutter response makes well formatted pixs pretty hard to take.

The Nikon 4800 I used quite a while ago had a 7/10 of a second shutter lag when using auto focus. While that may not sound like much, it is often the difference between a picture of a phone pole, tree, or a street sign instead of the beautiful vista that I was looking at when the shutter was triggered. When my pillion started taking a lot of pixs as we toured I found a small Canon pocket camera, purpose purchased for motorcycle use. It is image stabilized, has shutter lag of ~1/10 of a second, has good picture quality and when off the bike it has a very high optical zoom (too much to use when rolling). The only down side is fairly short battery life.

Another thing to look for in a camera that is to be used when the motorcycle is rolling is shutter lag. Shutter lag is the time from when you push the trigger button until the picture is taken. During the time between triggering the shutter and the picture being taken the camera must set the exposure and focus on the scene. Some digicams can take well over a second to do this. From a moving platform like a motorcycle this means that what you were seeing will have dramatically changed position or possibly even be out of frame by the time the shutter trips. Here in New England many things are close to the road and slow shutter response makes well formatted pixs pretty hard to take.
The Nikon 4800 I used quite a while ago had a 7/10 of a second shutter lag when using auto focus. While that may not sound like much, it is often the difference between a picture of a phone pole, tree, or a street sign instead of the beautiful vista that I was looking at when the shutter was triggered. When my pillion started taking a lot of pixs as we toured I found a small Canon pocket camera, purpose purchased for motorcycle use. It is image stabilized, has shutter lag of ~1/10 of a second, has good picture quality and when off the bike it has a very high optical zoom (too much to use when rolling). The only down side is fairly short battery life.
The shutter lag mentioned is indeed problematic but simply check the settings available before purchasing. My point & shoot Nikon Coolpix has a 'sport' setting which dramatically reduces the lag time.