What do I need?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the board and also new to the FJR but not new to motorcycling. I am going to pick up a new 06 on Friday and I am wondering what are the add ons that are a "must" for this bike? I've read some of the posts here and understand that a throttle lock might be one of those items. Are there others that one should have to make himself comfortable?
I think one good way might be to scroll through the garage.

FJRforum Garage Link

See what is most common and how they are rated (even see the cost to the owners)

The prioritization of farkle importance corresponds approximately to the attributes that a woman looks for in a man (or so I've been told): 1) Safety; 2) Comfort; 3) Looks. B)

I'm new to the board and also new to the FJR but not new to motorcycling. I am going to pick up a new 06 on Friday and I am wondering what are the add ons that are a "must" for this bike? I've read some of the posts here and understand that a throttle lock might be one of those items. Are there others that one should have to make himself comfortable?
MUST HAVE frame sliders. Put them on BEFORE you take the first ride, no joke. Don't wait until after it has fallen over and you are faced with big bucks in tupperware repairs. Everything else can wait until you find your own needs/preferences, but a lot of folks replace the uncomfortable stock handgrips or use Grip Puppies (I like the Tacki Grand Touring grips), and it's easy to add the throttle lock when you are replacing the grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again guys...got some good advice and some good humor...I'm going to like this place if you all can keep me in line.

MUST HAVE frame sliders. Put them on BEFORE you take the first ride, no joke. Don't wait until after it has fallen over and you are faced with big bucks in tupperware repairs. Everything else can wait until you find your own needs/preferences, but a lot of folks replace the uncomfortable stock handgrips or use Grip Puppies (I like the Tacki Grand Touring grips), and it's easy to add the throttle lock when you are replacing the grips.

Sliders...Must put sliders..I think it is the most important farkle above all else on a new FJR.

Important non farkle: Lube your rear end gear shaft

Important navigational tool: Any Garmin

Important entertainment device: XMradio

Important communication: Autocom

Important lights: Hella lights

Important comfort seat. Russell's Day Long

Important warning system: Beltronics or V1 radar detector

Important paint protection: Magknight tank protector

These items would be very high on the list, besides the other electronic enhancements like the powercommander, Ohlin shocks or Traxxon front shock systems. Depending on your riding style and protection, other things to consider is cold weather gearing. Windshields, extra electrical outlets means you may have to upgrade your stator. If speed is your objective, then there are options to add HP with replacing your 4-1-2 exaust system to total titanium, get custom aluminum rims, or run a dry NOS bottle. All though it seems you are fine after 11,000 miles of riding, you may not need to change anything at all. As many have said, its a personal thing to add or enhance your bike. Wish you luck.

After 5 months what I've done in no particular order:

1) Sliders

2) Grip puppies

3) Barbarian/CO mod (best thing I've done IMO)

4) Remove the stickers and tank badges (your personal taste may vary)

5) Instrument cluster replaced for 17mpg glitch

6) New three season and summer jackets and summer weight gloves.

7) Tank bag

So far after 5 months my wish list...

1) more time off to ride

2) more money to spend on bike, gear and trips

3) backrest and rack to keep my wife happy (check out Garauld's)

4) New tires (Z6's ok for me but want to try others)

5) Custom seat -- the stock seat sucks

6) Some kind of cruise control (see #'s 1 and 2)

7) Radar Detector

Oh, and welcome! This group is funny as hell at times, helpful and tons of info and experience available.

Now let's talk about which oil you should use.....
I don't use oil. I prefer a dry feeling.

Well I'm off to pick up the bike....darn snow flurries and cold weather. Where'd summer go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which part of Wisconsin are you in Radical? Check in at the midwest forum,lot of us around Chicagoo area go up to sw Wis for the good roads. I'll be able to do a lot of riding next year(this season's shot for the most part) gotta catch up on my mileage due to a HUGE slump this year. Hope to meet up w/ 'cha soon. Also, your stator is fine, it's the 2005 and prior that have crappy stators.

Hey, dude....don't let them fool you.....this forum is as gay as a boy in a dress.

Hey, dude....don't let them fool you.....this forum is as gay as a boy in a dress.
It's WAY gayer than that. Just check out the pretty blue colors and you'll figure that out. :air_kiss: