What do ya do about cold toes?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, I suffer from that chronic female affliction; "cold hands and feet", and that's before I even get on a bike.

I ride most of the year here, stayin off the roads when frosty/icy. Been caught in the odd snowstorm, so...I must be getting out in the cold once and a while ;)

I find my bigger issue is with cold hands, even with heated grips. Can't keep my thumbs warm to save my life. That is my annoyance (I'll live with the beet red nose thankyaverrrymuch). I have a heated vest and a great windproof overjacket that keeps core temps up. I find if my core is cozy, my extremities do better.

Oh, and what wheaton said about waterproof boots, I concur.

My leather lace ups do not keep my feet as warm as my waterproof boots. Waterproof boots, the 3 layers of socks as mentioned, and I can ride most of any given cold, wet, rainy day in relative comfort (cept for my frozen thumbs).

When looking for socks/toe covers etc for cold riding conditions I like to cruise cyclist (you know those guys that actually pedal their bikes?) supply sites for ideas. They seem to be as crazy about getting out in all weather as we are, but don't want to be loaded down with bulk and extra weight.

My local(ish) favorite is www.mec.ca

These pants are fabulous to help stay warm under riding gear. clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to add a PLUS ONE to the thoughts about keeping core temp up helping the extremities. It does help as well...the heat doesn't get sucked out from the arms and legs as quickly when the core is warm and stable.

Yea, I was thinking - I can't imagine how you pulled it out, the ride out, then sitting still through the game. Being at a football game in frigid weather is worse than hunting.

The toe warmers aren't thick. I'm sure you could fit 'em.

I gotta admit though that I would not head out from Dayton to Columbus in 16 F temps. That's what cages are for.

Apparently you've never tried to get through or park in Columbus on a game day. A motorcycle is always the weapon of choice under those conditions. ;)
I hear ya. I shoulda said "That's what TV's are for". :rolleyes:

Actually, I used to live in Dayton, and I was on some boards and things that took me to the OSU campus several times every year. But not on football saturdays.

I also used to live in Ann Arbor, and I certainly knew well enough to stay away from the stadium on Saturdays in the Fall. I guess the parking issue is what created the need for Tailgating.

Oh yeah... someone said that sitting at the game would be worse than hunting. I am thinking that if you already had heated socks, you could also get a couple of batteries for them, and you could wear them at the game. It would probably be pretty effective.

Opening day of our centerfire rifle season was yesterday, and temps were mighty low at 5 am. Heated socks and gloves would go a long way toward making the sitting tolerable.

Hey DD,

I too get the cold toes. I found these insole babies years ago.

electric insoles

I bought and even still have a pair of Gerbings heated socks but for me they are just too bulky and make my boots too snug.

I was out this morning with a low of only 25F but they felt great having on. I simply can not turn the heat-troller up to full. I'll turn it way up when first getting under way to get things going but have to turn them down. It is serious heat.

Great Thread Guyz n' Galz!

I routinely ride in 19 - 25 F for an hour to work in the winter. When it hits 32 F, it feels soo warm! I've not had a problem with the feet, but the fingers are a different story.

I'll be watching this thread and Thank all you cold riders for your input. Most importantly, I appreciate you ride when it's less than favorable.

ps. today was 85F, I had to ride in a tee-shirt, beanie helmet, levis, and vented tennis shoes.

Oh yeah... someone said that sitting at the game would be worse than hunting. I am thinking that if you already had heated socks, you could also get a couple of batteries for them, and you could wear them at the game. It would probably be pretty effective.
Opening day of our centerfire rifle season was yesterday, and temps were mighty low at 5 am. Heated socks and gloves would go a long way toward making the sitting tolerable.
Have you ever considered battery heated gear. When you get off the bike and watch the game you would stay warm. I am going to pick up a heated jacket, glove liners and gloves. My legs never get cold but my feet do so I might need to get something for my feet.

This is what I learned in the military:

Staying dry is number one priority. Our feet seem to sweat a lot, so do your best to keep them dry.

Forget cotton. Its insulation properties are horrible when it is damp/wet. And of course, it gets damp and does not wick or breath easily.

Wool and silk are great natural insulators. Wool even retains insulating properties when wet.

Modern synthetic materials (polypropelene blends, Cool-Max, Thinsulate (not really for socks), and others) will wick or draw moisture away from your skin, thereby keeping you dryer and warmer. Look for socks that are made of those materials and claim to wick moisture away and are breathable. I would use them as a first layer, then a wool layer for added insulation.

When at a rest stop, open your boots (if possible) to let trapped moisture out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gerbing socks with controller. Gerbing socks, heated grips on the 06AE, and Gerbing jacket liner, closed helmet vents.I gotta admit though that I would not head out from Dayton to Columbus in 16 F temps. That's what cages are for.
I don't think they make the socks anymore but I picked up a pair of heated insoles at my friendly Gerbing dealer, not sure of the brand, you may be able to Google them, I used a search string of 'heated insoles' and got a boatload of hits, you can sift through them to look for the model I mention below.

They have an HH on them, and also say 12V HYBRID , HybridHeatingSystem tm

I feed them off the 2nd zone of a dual zone controller and they completely eliminated my cold toes problem in sub-freezing temps for hours. I just wore dress socks and had to turn the heat WAY down on them so as not to burn my feet. If you have more room in your boot than I do you should wear thicker socks so you don't burn your skin.

Hope this helps. Hope someone reads it !!! LOL

Barb,

I get the cold hands too. I've used the chemical warmers inside of mittens and they work well. But I finally splurged and got the Gerbing gloves to go with my jacket liner.

Just a bit of heaven when riding in the cold with warm and toasty body parts.

Bob

ps - Gonna be in Campbell River on Aug. 23rd or 24th on our way to Bella Coola.

Well, it's been a very wierd winter here in Ohio. I actually didn't get to ride at all in January, which is unusual. But right now, I think road conditions are a bigger factor than anything else. In light of the skyrocketing price of road salt, alot of local municipalities have turned to some kind of gritty stuff that's like BIG sand! And it's everywhere and it doesn't wash away even in a heavy downpour, so we'll probably have to deal with it for awhile around here. I did get the bike out earlier in the week and was going to visit fellow forum member "Crankshaft", who lives close by. Well I didn't realize just how much of the gritty stuff was in the turn lane to head to his house until I slid right through the intersection (please...no lectures on the value of ABS...I already know)! I didn't fall down, but for a moment there I believe my butt cheeks were harvesting seat foam! :eek:

So anyway, I did get Italian wool socks from Aerostitch for the holidays, but haven't really gotten to try them out in cold riding conditions yet due to crappy road conditions. I'll say this though, they're too freakin' warm to wear under normal conditions. My feet sweated like mad in them! I also picked up a Widder vest on Ebay SUPER-CHEAP, but I haven't gotten to try that out yet either. I know that the Widder gloves I bought are priceless! Grip heaters are nice when it's "cool", but not effective when it's "cold". My palms can be uncomfortably hot with the grip heaters on, but fingers are still numb. Not a problem at all with the heated gloves...I'd recommend them to anybody.

So I have yet to ascertain if wool socks and a heated vest will help with my cold toes problem, as some have suggested. But I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later...this IS Ohio. I could still need that stuff come April or May around here. You just never know.

I too don't think the foot guards are necessary.

Good boots and Socks, if you have too there are relatively cheap electric hunting sox out there, though I've never needed them.

One problem with too many layers, especially on the feet is you tend to reduce circulation. I know I can't comfortably get 2 paris of sox on with my boots. Good waterproof (windproof) boots are also key.

My $.02, probably worth less.

Oh, you can also shove those pocket warmers into your boots if they will fit. Have done that for very cold football games, but never had the need on the bike.

Barb,
I get the cold hands too. I've used the chemical warmers inside of mittens and they work well. But I finally splurged and got the Gerbing gloves to go with my jacket liner.

Just a bit of heaven when riding in the cold with warm and toasty body parts.

Bob

ps - Gonna be in Campbell River on Aug. 23rd or 24th on our way to Bella Coola.
I am not a big fan of plug-in's (I know I am gonna regret typing that), but will likely eventually end up with heated gloves to go with my vest and grips. Although I am going to try one more thing before I go there. I have heated grips, so a local KLR rider said I should just get a pair of ATV gauntlets to slip over the bars and keep the heat the grips are producing in the vacinity of my hands. I'll look like a total goob, but...I am used to it...*LOL*

Well, if you fancy a stop in CR, remind me by PM before you head up and I'll meet you guys somewhere. Might even chase you to Pt. Hardy for the day!

I have to get my info on the assistance list one of these days...

I suffer the same as Dave. I think it has a lot to do with inseam length and height of the rider. as well as shoe size. I've looked at many pictures of myself versus other riders, and it's amazing how much more my feet point down.

I cannot wear extremely heavy socks. My feet will sweat like crazy and that freezes everything. So I wear a decent winter athletic sock made with a mix of natural and synthetic fibers. The ones made for snow skiing and such seem to be the best for me. But one pair, and only one pair is all I can stand.

To make up for the cold toes that are sticking down so far, I use the chemical toe warmers. I buy them at Outdoor World or similar in big packs. They are great for about 4-5 hours. You'll be amazed just how much room is available in the toes of your boots.

I have heated gear and have heard so many people tell me "keep the core warm and...". It never works for me. I could pretty much shut off the torso elements of my heated liner. It's my arms, hands and feet that need heat. Everything else is good with reasonable winter gear down to 20F or so. Grip warmers don't cut it for me. Heated gloves are the only way to go IMO.

Today was my first semi long ride in extreme cold weather. I've done my 15 minute commute to and from work in the cold many times and my Tourmaster suit and Widder gloves have always been adequate. Today I rode 80 miles from Dayton to Columbus to go to the Ohio State/Michigan game with my daughter. 16*F when I left the house (a new record low for me!) Everything was ok except my toes, and they were damn cold by the time I got to Columbus. So what do you all do to stave off the froze toes? Electric socks?? Inquiring minds want to know.

I wait till they freeze, then cut them off. That ought to prevent any future cold toes issue ;)

Heated socks (insoles from Gerbing).

I keep my feet as high and back as possible on the pegs and use some fleece socks over my regulars, with waterproof boots, but I'm fixin' to try me a pair of these....