What flavor is my '05?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebaiyou

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought an '05 and I'm wondering to how tell which version I have. The shop manual has AS/S/SC/AS© as variants. I also see that there is a 2005.5 version. Is there an easy way to tell which one I have? Sorry if this is a dumb question but be nice.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
S = standard version

SC = standard California version (Has charcoal cannister for fuel evaporation)

AS = ABS model

ASC = ABS California version.

As far as anyone knows, there is no difference between the 2005 and 2005.5 FJRs. They just released a bunch more later in the year. (It's a long story) I *think* you should be able to figure out if it is an early release 05 or a 2nd release 05 by the build date that is shown on the VIN sticker. An early release should have a build date between approximately May and August 2004, or between 5/04 and 8/04. Like I said, those are approximate. My guess is the 2005.5 FJRs will have build dates of approximately March or April and later of 2005. Or 3/05 and later. Any 05 owners out there that can verify this?

Hey Blue,

When I first got my 05, I wasn't sure if it was an ABS. You'll know right away if you have a non-ABS version because the front brake calipers are detailed in blue.

Hey Scooter, nice breakdown on the codes to help him out. I was wondering what all the letters stood for just the other day.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
S = standard version

SC = standard California version (Has charcoal cannister for fuel evaporation)

AS = ABS model

ASC = ABS California version.

As far as anyone knows, there is no difference between the 2005 and 2005.5 FJRs. They just released a bunch more later in the year. (It's a long story) I *think* you should be able to figure out if it is an early release 05 or a 2nd release 05 by the build date that is shown on the VIN sticker. An early release should have a build date between approximately May and August 2004, or between 5/04 and 8/04. Like I said, those are approximate. My guess is the 2005.5 FJRs will have build dates of approximately March or April and later of 2005. Or 3/05 and later. Any 05 owners out there that can verify this?
Mine was among the second release 49 states '05s (an ABS, FWIW), and it was built 1/05.

What flavor? Why, it's blueberry of course. Just like all '05's. :rolleyes:

Mine is an early '05, born in July '04. No ticking at > 50k (knocking on wood).

What flavor? Why, it's blueberry of course. Just like all '05's. :rolleyes:

Mine is an early '05, born in July '04. No ticking at > 50k (knocking on wood).
that's along the lines of what I was thinking..."the schnozberries taste like schnozberries!!"