What GPS to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmurf

IBA #31100
Reaction score
What GPS to buy

Looking to buy new gps but not literate enough to figure out all the tech stuff. I would like to be able to upload and download routes but don't need all the music, communication stuff. Suggestions please for a sturdy unit for my fjr. Thanks, Everett

This is a classic NEPRT but I can't stop myself.

If you can find one get a used Garmin GPSMap 276c. It has the brightest screen so you can still see something in the daylight and has a large screen so if you as old as me you can actually see the map. The Nuvi's are next given that you are looking for a 'simpler' unit. Unfortunately the Nuvi's are not weatherproof so you need to be careful. Some folks will put a plastic bag over them when the weather is bad.

I like staying with the Garmin equipment since there is so much support in the way of maps for the Garmin. I was able to load free maps for New Zealand, Copper Canyon Mexico, Iceland & topo maps for all of North America from the Internet.

Even though I have a Zumo 665 on the FJR my 276c is still my favorite. I've had it on my dirt bike for years and have abused it unmercifully. I will never part with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
for a Nuvi, the 765T is decent and can use uploaded routes, with a ram mount you are set. Most nuvis are not waterproof. You can get a nuvi500 which is waterproof, or the cheap zumo 220.

I went through two nuvis which each started to turn themselves off at the worst times before I bought a zumo 550.

some nuvis require a power connection through the USB, which means you have to use their power plug. The 765 (and any that have the power connector in the mount) use 12v and you can hard wire into the bike like a zumo..

Whichever one fits your budget.

I will vouch for my Zumo 550, though. It has gotten me lost in 28 states and 2 Canadian provinces.

:blink:

On second thought, just buy a good map.

I'm waiting on a Map Machine that not only shows road maps, but also shows where all the cops are at, shows approaching storms (and yes it must show where hail or sleet has accumulated on the road). It would be nice if it could pick up whenever Deer, buzzards, turkey, dogs, sheltland ponys, cattle and crazy cannukstukians are close to the road. If you find something like that please post up!

I'm waiting on a Map Machine that not only shows road maps, but also shows where all the cops are at, shows approaching storms (and yes it must show where hail or sleet has accumulated on the road). It would be nice if it could pick up whenever Deer, buzzards, turkey, dogs, sheltland ponys, cattle, BURROS and crazy cannukstukians are close to the road. If you find something like that please post up!
+1, Gunny; I hear you loud and clear, Brother Scott! However, I did add burros to your list above and highlighted Muy Loco El Canadiense!

Whichever one fits your budget.

I will vouch for my Zumo 550, though. It has gotten me lost in 28 states and 2 Canadian provinces.

:blink:

On second thought, just buy a good map.
I don't care what Bustanut says about you Andy, you're indeed a Good Guy!

Of course, one could always hire Bungie as a professional travel guide, HA!

I like all the communications, traffic and routing features, but can't afford them in the Zumo package. Since you don't care about that, the Nuvi 550 is your best bet (about $255). It will navigate, do routes, is weatherproof and durable in motorcycle applications. You will need to add a mounting system. If The Zumo 220 is in your budget (about $400), it is motorcycle-specific and may be a better choice and will include the mount.

I've got a Nuvi 500 I've been using for about a year. It's a simple unit that is weatherproof and does routes. It has spoken directions but I can't hear them over the wind noise while driving, and there is no headphone jack. The screen is usually bright enough, but it does get washed out in direct sunlight so I find myself holding my hand over it to read where the next turn is. Other than that, it has all the features of the regular auto nuvi's which makes it useful enough for me to keep using.

I'm waiting on a Map Machine that not only shows road maps, but also shows where all the cops are at, ... and crazy cannukstukians are close to the road. If you find something like that please post up!
Go stick your head in a Mexican river. Oh sorry, you've already done that. :p

This is a classic NEPRT but I can't stop myself.

If you can find one get a used Garmin GPSMap 276c. It has the brightest screen so you can still see something in the daylight and has a large screen so if you as old as me you can actually see the map. The Nuvi's are next given that you are looking for a 'simpler' unit. Unfortunately the Nuvi's are not weatherproof so you need to be careful. Some folks will put a plastic bag over them when the weather is bad.

I like staying with the Garmin equipment since there is so much support in the way of maps for the Garmin. I was able to load free maps for New Zealand, Copper Canyon Mexico, Iceland & topo maps for all of North America from the Internet.

Even though I have a Zumo 665 on the FJR my 276c is still my favorite. I've had it on my dirt bike for years and have abused it unmercifully. I will never part with it.
+ 100,000 - any navigator from the series (GPSMAP 276/376/476/478) will do the job - I have been extremely disappointed with the Zumo 660 - the 550 was OK, mind you.

You can read some of my verbiage herer, some on epinions (you'll find links to the epinions reviews if you search this site for my posts).

Garmin is not the company it used to be.

Thanks guys, that nuvi 550 sounds like it may be the one. A little more research and I will pull the trigger, 220. that is a deal.

I like all the communications, traffic and routing features, but can't afford them in the Zumo package. Since you don't care about that, the Nuvi 550 is your best bet (about $255). It will navigate, do routes, is weatherproof and durable in motorcycle applications. You will need to add a mounting system. If The Zumo 220 is in your budget (about $400), it is motorcycle-specific and may be a better choice and will include the mount.

Tom, can you give my that link again. somehow I lost it. thanks. Everett

Nothing wrong with a good used StreetPilot on eBay, from somebody who's upgrading. I got a 2720 last year for 150 bucks.

The nuvi 550 at $253? LINK Note there is a reburbished one for $189 there as well. Here are the specs. For mounting I like the Wynpro Rambone ball with the RAM cradle and 3-inch arm extension. Get the Ram cradle and arm from GPScity. Wynpro is here on the site.

Thanks, I bought the new one.

The nuvi 550 at $253? LINK Note there is a reburbished one for $189 there as well. Here are the specs. For mounting I like the Wynpro Rambone ball with the RAM cradle and 3-inch arm extension. Get the Ram cradle and arm from GPScity. Wynpro is here on the site.

I too would look at a used SP2720, 2730, or 2820. Excellent, rugged gps units. Or, I would go with the Nuvi 765t. I bought one off ebaby (used) recently for $90. A bargain.