What happens when you go to a dealer looking for a V Star 1100...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazing to log on and find this entry. I was going to ask about the Vstar myself tonight, and I'm a prior FZ-1 rider now on a FJR....

So here's my question, a friend of mine just bought a new 2007 Vstar 1100. He's a pretty good sized guy and has about 1K miles on it now. So I and a passenger, about 50 lbs more than his weight in total, jump on to take it for a spin. First thing I notice is it has no torque on a slightly inclined stop sign it's all it's got to load it down and smoothly pull away, next on the first sweeping turn, getting onto a interstate entry ramp I drag the lft floor board miserably scarded the heck out of me since I take the same turn every day 2 up on the FJR at 5-10 degrees more lean angle. It wasnh't a re-assuring feeling. Next I notice there's no way to transfer weight to your feet on this thing. If you see something coming you can't avoid it's grit your teeeth and sit there, again not a good feeling. What really amazed me was it felt topped out at 75, I swear to try to get it to 80 it shook miserably and once you got it there and eased out to stop the horrible vibration it would drop to 75 again.

It's amazing to log on and find this entry. I was going to ask about the Vstar myself tonight, and I'm a prior FZ-1 rider now on a FJR....So here's my question, a friend of mine just bought a new 2007 Vstar 1100. He's a pretty good sized guy and has about 1K miles on it now. So I and a passenger, about 50 lbs more than his weight in total, jump on to take it for a spin. First thing I notice is it has no torque on a slightly inclined stop sign it's all it's got to load it down and smoothly pull away,
Yeah, it's got ~55 HP and a little more torque - even if it comes on strong early. Compare that to a FZ1's 140 HP & 75 ft. lbs. torque. Or an FJR's HP/torque curve. Sure, the FZ1/FJR have torque peaks higher up the RPM range but remember, torque at the rear wheels is a function of engine torque PLUS gear ratio and the FZ1 has a MUCH higher gear ratio than a cruiser.

next on the first sweeping turn, getting onto a interstate entry ramp I drag the lft floor board miserably scarded the heck out of me since I take the same turn every day 2 up on the FJR at 5-10 degrees more lean angle. It wasnh't a re-assuring feeling.
And you're comparing lean angles on a sport (sport/tourer) to a cruiser why? :)

Next I notice there's no way to transfer weight to your feet on this thing. If you see something coming you can't avoid it's grit your teeeth and sit there, again not a good feeling.
I was able to stand on the floorboards and get my substantial butt out of the 1100's seat without a problem. Sure, I couldn't ride that way long but for railroad tracks/potholes/small unidentified bumps in the road it's more than possible. Now it might be harder to do with pegs instead of floorboards - I can't speak to that.

What really amazed me was it felt topped out at 75, I swear to try to get it to 80 it shook miserably and once you got it there and eased out to stop the horrible vibration it would drop to 75 again.
56 HP will do that ya know. ;) That's the trade-off for a easy bike to learn on. If you want more ummmph the restriction is in the intake and exhaust, not the heads/valves. For not a lot of money you can easily get 20% more HP on an 1100 with Pods and an aftermarket set of pipes. For a little more money than that you can get new cams...and that's where the score can really change! :D

kballowe, the FZ1 is a great bike. I would love to keep it but 1) I can't afford to - need to recoupe some of the cost of the FJR and V Star 1100 and 2) I don't have enough garage space! ;) The FZ is much more on the "sport" side of "sport/touring". It's faster, has better brakes, and is more nimble than the FJR. Most of that is because the FZ is ~150 pounds lighter than the FJR. Not that the FJR isn't very good at acceleration/braking/handling just that the FZ is a little better. As far as comfort goes the clear advantage is to the FJR - better seat, windscreen, lower fairing, etc. Still, I did a several 500 mile days on the FZ without any complaints.
It looks like you have quite the stable of nice bikes there - I'm jealous. Hey, how about adding an '04 FZ1 to your stable - I know of one for sale at a good price with low miles. :D

Heidi - consider your initial comments withdrawn. :lol: As for it being too heavy, it's amazing how light it feels, even at low speed. That was one of the things I was concerned with but when maneuvering it around a parking lot I found it very easy to control - much easier than a 622 lbs. Harley Dyna Super Glide I once rode. I guess it's because of the low center of gravity, ability to flat-foot, and the seating and handlebar position.

fjrjonesing - yeah, my wife does have a sister...who's married to a big burley Lt. Colonel in the Army. Besides, he's a really nice guy and a Good Ag as well. :clapping:

donaldb - those are pretty bikes...and the proper color too. :) Yeah, I probably should have said something.

renink - I didn't CycleBuy the FJR so I'm not sure what the invoice is...but you can look at this thread for an idea of a very good price:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=21454

Thanks everyone for the comments about the 1100 being a good cruiser for my wife. She read this thread and, even though she believe me when I told her the same thing, was happy to see the same opinion expressed by many others.

I rode my bike home from work the long way tonight - 50 miles on some moderately twisty roads. The FJR is everything I hoped it would be and then some: powerful, comfortable, nimble, well mannered, and well featured...not to mention beautiful. It'll take me a couple thousand miles before I'm fully comfortable with the bike (I like to take things slow when familiarizing myself with a new bike) but when I do I'm sure it'll fit me like a glove and be just the perfect extension of my body.
Just curious.Which dealership did you go to?

My brother has the Road Star Midnight Silverado. It has plenty of torque, is easy to ride, but the floor boards scrape very easily and it takes forever to shift. A nice cruiser but not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good carb sync will smooth out a VStar quite nicely.

I am coming off an '05 VStar 1100, equipped with a hypercharger, Mustang seat, and Hard Chrome straight pipes.

I bought my '06 AE a couple weeks ago and put 1,500 miles on her the first five days, including playing near Maggie Valley, NC.

For jollies, I took the VStar to work today - HATED IT!!! What's with all the noise and vibration?????????? :p

Now, to sell the thing...

My brother has the Road Star Midnight Silverado. It has plenty of torque, is easy to ride, but the floor boards scrape very easily and it takes forever to shift. A nice cruiser but not for me.
Yeah, I know what you mean about shift speeds. Cruisers are like "clutch-in, C - L - U - N - K, clutch-out". :)

I am coming off an '05 VStar 1100, equipped with a hypercharger, Mustang seat, and Hard Chrome straight pipes.

I bought my '06 AE a couple weeks ago and put 1,500 miles on her the first five days, including playing near Maggie Valley, NC.

For jollies, I took the VStar to work today - HATED IT!!! What's with all the noise and vibration?????????? :p

Yeah, a carb sync will be on the short list of things to do after the break-in period. I think cruisers a just a different, but still fun, aspect of motorcycling - I actually like them for doing what they are supposed to do. :)

+1 man WOW! Now I love my wife... but she actually initiated the purchase of a second bike WOW! just WOW! I am ... WOW!
Yeah, I know I'm one lucky guy to have her. :wub: :love: :man_in_love:

Alright!!!! Congrats to you and your wife. :D

Glad your wife wants to ride her own. Great starter bike by the way.

Hey, you were playing in my backyard. :lol:

That's exactly what happened to me. The Vstar was paid off too, I could have kept it, but it's a pretty expensive garage ornament.