What happens with AE if it runs out of gas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what happens: At about 65 miles on the reserve mileage indicator the bike starts missing. Jerking the bike side to side to get it running again. It will get you a few more miles. At 69 miles the engine dies. There is some engine breaking as you pull to the should. As the RPMs drop, the clutch engages, you can then downshift. When you come to a stop the bike is in first gear, shift into neutal. No drama at all.
This happened to me this summer on a long four lane road in Kentucky. I thought I could get to the next big town for gas. The ST1300 I was riding with ran to the next gas stop, 14 miles away, bought a gallon of water, dumped it out, filled it with gas, brought it back, and got me going again.

Lessoned learned:

1. Running out of gas on an AE is no bigger deal than any other bike. It's just as embarrassing.

2. Approximately 69 miles is all you got once the reserve kicks in.

3. Don't try and hang with a ST1300 for distance between gas stations.
Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for!

I will never understand why some people feel the need to reply, when they don't know the answer... :(

I will never understand why some people feel the need to reply, when they don't know the answer... :(
disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Or the need to keep asking a question that they have the means to find the answer to themselves, then post the information for others to learn from. :rolleyes:
Sure, I can find myself what happens when a tire blows up, or some other such. But in this case it might be rather unsafe, don't you think? The purpose of my question was to find that out: whether running out of gas on AE (or any other uncommon situation, such as engine trouble or switching the engine cut-off switch by accident etc.) poses any danger on a highway, how does YCC-S behave in such a situation.

I'm actually surprised I have to explain this to a bunch of what appears to be adult people. I thought the reasons for my question were pretty obvious. Automatic clutch control is still a novelty for a motorcycle and not knowing how your motorcycle will behave under certain circumstances is dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brethren, do you guys recall and miss pgrhodes1 as much as I do right now??? Where is good old Miss Peggy, when we need her the very most on the FJR Forum, at this, our darkest hour!!! jes' saying'

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...t=0&start=0 Ah, the Good Old Days; brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye, in fondest remembrance of our Miss Peggy, pgrhodes1! We miss You!

I remember a Forum Member here a couple of years ago wondering the same exact thing and he decided to try it in an empty parking lot. He got up to speed and turnned the ignition key off and like
Brodie & wnyfjr just said, NOTHING HAPPENED!! :rolleyes: It did exactly what has been stated above. Coasted to a stop! But then, the Mall Cops came out and Beat the Shit Outta him with their sticks!!

Poor Bastard was having a Real Bad Karma Day! :unsure:

Covered here

Clicky

About the only difference between the two bikes is the distance you can "coast" before stopping. If you're on an interstate with heavy traffic, construction, and no shoulders, you're pretty much screwed. Same with a bike with a manual clutch though, the only difference would be how far you could travel before stopping. Which may or may not be an inprovement in that particular situation (you may coast further into a more hazardous area). Once stopped, both bikes are the same. You're not pushing these pigs very far.

Covered here
Clicky

About the only difference between the two bikes is the distance you can "coast" before stopping. If you're on an interstate with heavy traffic, construction, and no shoulders, you're pretty much screwed. Same with a bike with a manual clutch though, the only difference would be how far you could travel before stopping. Which may or may not be an inprovement in that particular situation (you may coast further into a more hazardous area). Once stopped, both bikes are the same. You're not pushing these pigs very far.
Thanks! The most useful post so far! :)

Before I've switched to the FJR, I rode a Suzuki Boulevard, and I did have an instance where I ran out of gas just less than a mile before a gas station, so I simply coasted right up to the pump. It was my first time on the highway for that long on that bike (from New York to Chicago), and I didn't know then that it consumes A LOT more gas on the highway than on local streets, so I underestimated how far I could go on a single tank full of gas.

With FJR it's much better, though, since it shows the MPGs, so I can more accurately estimate how far I can go on a single tank. Still sucks that it can't coast as far as Suzuki can :(

The YCCS system is extremely well designed, its clear that a lot of thought went in to it, especially into the safety aspects of the design.

There are at least two features of YCCS that enhance safety IMHO:

1) YCCS will not permit the rear tire to lock up or skid due to engine loading. So no worries about that if you run out of gas or are just a ham fist.

2) YCCS will not permit the engine to stall. It will engine the clutch automatically rather than let the engine stall. This neat feature has already saved me from one low speed drop.

Caveat: I've seen one report of an AE user stalling the bike, that case it sure sounded like sticky clutch plates, which are an occasional problem in ordinary FJRs as well. I also think the user could defeat this feature if he or she monkeys with the YCCS computer settings via the set up mode of the FJR.

With FJR it's much better, though, since it shows the MPGs, so I can more accurately estimate how far I can go on a single tank. Still sucks that it can't coast as far as Suzuki can :(
I don't have an AE, so I can't definitively describe to the microsecond what will happen when an AE runs out of gas at highway speeds, but with a little help from Google I managed to search the forum and came up with several answers to your problem. Apparently, this has been asked before, with specific answers posted as replies:

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Link # 5

Link #6

Link #7

Link #8

The funny thing is in THAT particular thread, the dumbass Original Poster ignored the answers he got from Links 1-7 until he read Link 8, which, while incorrect, the Original Poster took as gospel, totally ignoring the combined wisdom of Links 1 through 7.

HE was a dumbass. Maybe you won't be one, too.

Here's the affirmative test to your question...which should be tried on an open stretch of road with little or no traffic.

Get your AE up to speed, and release the throttle. Don't turn off the key.....don't hit the kill-switch.....just don't give it any gas.

Since you'd be in a decelerating condition, with the electrics on just as normal, the ECU goes in to "decel mode" where NO fuel is being injected. As far as your FJR is concerned, you're outta gas.

Try it and you'll learn exactly what happens when the bike runs out of gas.

Now, try not to be as big of a tool as that guy in that other thread, okay?

The YCCS system is extremely well designed, its clear that a lot of thought went in to it, especially into the safety aspects of the design.
There are at least two features of YCCS that enhance safety IMHO:

1) YCCS will not permit the rear tire to lock up or skid due to engine loading. So no worries about that if you run out of gas or are just a ham fist.

2) YCCS will not permit the engine to stall. It will engine the clutch automatically rather than let the engine stall. This neat feature has already saved me from one low speed drop.

Caveat: I've seen one report of an AE user stalling the bike, that case it sure sounded like sticky clutch plates, which are an occasional problem in ordinary GEN II FJRs as well. I also think the user could defeat this feature if he or she monkeys with the YCCS computer settings via the set up mode of the FJR.
Fixed.

RadioHowie, I absolutely hate it when you start drinking before me and build up a three hour head start. It takes me most all of the afternoon doubling down on tequila and cerveza to catch up with you!

I appreciate it, however someone before you have already answered my question ;)

You know, there's a russian saying: a smart person learns from other's experiences, a fool - from his own ;) Once again: I don't want to experiment with things that I don't know how they work under certain circumstances - and potentially end up in a ditch or worse, that's why I posted the question. Seriously, why is that so hard to comprehend?

Anyway, like I said, thankfully there are people who have the answer, so lets consider the topic closed.

Thank you.

I appreciate it, however someone before you have already answered my question ;)

You know, there's a russian saying: a smart person learns from other's experiences, a fool - from his own ;) Once again: I don't want to experiment with things that I don't know how they work under certain circumstances - and potentially end up in a ditch or worse, that's why I posted the question. Seriously, why is that so hard to comprehend?

Anyway, like I said, thankfully there are people who have the answer, so lets consider the topic closed.

Thank you.
Sniff, sniff...

Is that dogpile I smell?

:)

edit..

Not easy on a Sunday...

Beemerdons that was quite the post form the past... ;) pgrhodes1 last visited this virtual house November 10, 2009.

I hope this isn't a pgrhodes1 part duex.

I can see this is getting into a flat spin...

EJECT! EJECT! EJECT! :dribble:

Donkey rider - No offense but rule #6 was required reading on the forum. The dynamics and personality of the forum are well known and documented here. As you get to know those within the forum you'll find all will give valuable information at some point, and many will also give some BS in general. All in the name of fun and knowledge. Also questions that may or may not be well beyond NEPRT on Fridays may get a Friday Dogpile. I believe your original post was on September 10th.... Friday....

Glad you got your answer, now enjoy the forum.