What Highway Pegs Do You Have?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRat

Reaction score
Which hwy pegs do you have?

Recently, I almost bought those that install on the engine cover. I read something about causing oil leaks, plus I did not like the idea of having pressure (from the resting legs) on those bolts...school me on these matters please.

What's a 'good' hwy peg for the red baron genIII

Pics please!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest threat is grinding the rigid mounting block in the ground in a hard turn. this can make you crash straight up or transfer so much stress to your engine that it causes oil leaks. Other than that, properly installed highway pegs do not cause oil leaks. your feet and their weight will not cause any oil leak.

I have these, I occasionally drag my (stock) footpegs and the new hardpoints only 1/4 inch from the pavement in a hard turn. SO... I drilled new mounting holes 1 1/2 higher on the peg pracket, then ground off the lower squareness off the the part the peg actually pivots on to give me another 3/8ths or so. Giving my a total of about 1 7/8ths inches additionl room from what they started out as. How much that translates to at the actualt lean angles I reach, I do not know, I haven't touched my stock pegs in a very long time, maybe the highway peg threat just worries me too much.

They do help with my knees an longer rides alot though, I can attest to that.

I got the first original Wild Bill pegs.... Now Gerald took over offering them up

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149984-garauld-hiway-peg-mounting-plates/https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149984-garauld-hiway-peg-mounting-plates/

I put these Rivco pegs on last year - super comfortable.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00579LUYE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had the Highway pegs on my bike since I bought it in 05 and really allows you to get in a more relaxed position from time to time, never ever had a leak or issue with them.... I ground them one time on some serious riding, since then I know the danger zone and haven't touched it again, and btw, there are no chicken strips on my tires, so you really have to be pushing the limits.

They are worth every penny to me to get some comfort on longer rides, and get a breeze to my bits and pieces on super hot days....

I got mine used from another member -- I believe they are from Garauld (I find several different spellings for the name). I find the biggest single benefit to me is that I can get cooler air to my legs on hot days and long rides.

My bike is lowered 15mm on the rear only...tis one reason why I have reluctant to get hwypegs. I dont scrape the regular pegs unless I do it purposely, but I dont hot rod so... I am still wondering if I would scrape the hwy pegs

What is the difference between Larry and Gerauld bwy peg set up?

I got the motorcycle Larry pegs used. I like them pretty well except my knee hits the corner of the fairings which gets uncomfortable after awhile. However, it is nice to have the ability to change the foot position for awhile.

I got the motorcycle Larry pegs used. I like them pretty well except my knee hits the corner of the fairings which gets uncomfortable after awhile. However, it is nice to have the ability to change the foot position for awhile.

I got that same problem, my knees are just outside that corner, but they don't scrape. Guess it depends on how long your legs are...

I will overcome any obstacle to keep my nuts from being on fire....

Wild Bill pegs. No oil leaks ever, haven't ground the bracket yet even when I've ground the peg feelers and had the stock pegs fold up about 20 deg. (though this is solo riding and my forks are upgraded with GoldValves and .95 springs). I enjoy the change in riding position on longer rides but still only use them about 25% of the time.

Like new - used set of MCL bought off the forum. Like 900gc ^^^^ mainly used on longer rides for a temporary change of position.

--G

Mine look like this. Wild Bill plates, but Kuryakyn 90o extensions and footpegs. The standard pegs just don't stick out far enough to let me rest my feet securely. I was just resting my foot on the very tip of the peg. And even then, my calves pressed uncomfortably against the fairly sharp angle of the lower fairing.

I have the extension angled parallel to the ground to move the peg farther forward but no closer to the ground, so it's less of a threat to drag in a curve.

Not only do I get the benefit of various alternate leg positions, but it gets my foot out of the blast of engine heat for a while. FWIW, about 70K miles with this setup, no oil leaks. Or peg touchdowns.

IMG_2203.jpg

Mine look like this. Wild Bill plates, but Kuryakyn 90o extensions and footpegs. The standard pegs just don't stick out far enough to let me rest my feet securely. I was just resting my foot on the very tip of the peg. And even then, my calves pressed uncomfortably against the fairly sharp angle of the lower fairing.
I have the extension angled parallel to the ground to move the peg farther forward but no closer to the ground, so it's less of a threat to drag in a curve.

Not only do I get the benefit of various alternate leg positions, but it gets my foot out of the blast of engine heat for a while. FWIW, about 70K miles with this setup, no oil leaks. Or peg touchdowns.

IMG_2203.jpg
I like that...the standard pegs are just a bit short as you said and force your legs close into the fairing. May have to try that in the future.

I also got the Rivco pegs referenced above on my 07 attached to the Canyon cages..Coming from a cruiser, I appreciate being able to change my position when needed.

I had a set of Rivco I was going to install, but those pegs seem to weigh a ton. I dont like to put weigh on the bike, plus I decided against Bill's plates for now since I lowered the bike--afraid of scraping the mount itself.I have to rethink this